Sign in to follow this  
WillBilly53

Trying to start 1953 Super for the first time.

The sight hole is actually located in left upper side of the bellhousing, not the easiest thing to see. But if it is timed right then a timing light might catch the original yellow mark/knurled tooth, but that remains the question, is it timed right. We'll see. :)

and it may be worthwhile to install a 54 harmonic balancer and a timing pointer on the front of the engine.:)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Well that`s interesting. I had assumed the timing marks would be on the front pulley as they were on the 60 Electra I used to own.

I also assume the the "5" indicates 5 degress BTDC, that is, the correct position for static timing, n`est-ce pas?

Why not set the engine to this position, then make a mark on the front pulley which aligns with any handy datum, such as a casting line or something. Then you will have an easy means to time it up next time and to use a strobe light if you have one.

Adam..

Yes, I think Lamar had mentioned making a mark on the pulley for future timing when he was over. And yes I assume also that the "5" stamping stands for 5 degrees BTDC as the manual indicates setting to this tooth is 5 BTDC. Fingers crossed for this weekend!

-bell housing! Yep, still learning my terminology. :)

Edited by WillBilly53 (see edit history)

and it may be worthwhile to install a 54 harmonic balancer and a timing pointer on the front of the engine.:)

Spoken like a true 54 Buick cool-aid drinker.....

1954 Buick...cures what ails ya good.gif

If the engine is internally balanced such that an external harmonic balancer was not used, wouldn't it stand to reason that installing a different year harmonic balancer would throw it off, not to mention pushing the lower pulley further out and out of alignment with the rest of the pulleys

I hear ya JD but a while back a mechanic who's been rebuilding 322's since they first came out told me that he has swapped many a harmonic balancer from a 322 to a 264 (which uses a cast iron crank pulley) with no problem. I assumed one could be swapped onto a 53 322 which also uses a cast iron crank pulley. Actually I have cast iron pulley from a 264 we could use but for right now we'll probably forgo any swap and concentrate on just getting her running.

Bet Lamar conquers it!!

Ben

I wouldn't put too much on that bet Ben. Did not meet with success today.

Definitely got gas pumping from the tank to the carb now and the jets are spraying in the carb. Getting some bad leaks at fittings though. Got everything lined up... # 1 cylinder at TDC and rotor at # plug wire. Fully charged battery turning it over good but still no combustion. Called Willie and got a short course in bypassing the resistor when using the pertonix and did that. Still no cumbustion. Sparks jumping from the petronix coil wire to the positive terminal of the coil, seeing cracks in the new plug wires. Not sure the "Bobs" plug wires were put together right on the distributor ends.They came with loose metal crimp ends. Not sure the insulation was cut back enough and the wire bent back over the insulation before crimping metal ends on. Will be checking that. We did put a timing light on the flywheel mark and it looks to be about 1/2 inch off when the light hits it so that should be within the 5 degrees right?

So next thing will be to make sure the plug wire ends are making good contact with the crimp end pieces and if that doesn't do it, off comes the petronix and pretty chrome coil and on goes the original distributor and coil.

WILL, how can one stubborn lump of iron stump so many virtually-connected and hands-on Buick enthusiasts for so long? Clearly, dubbing your car with a woman's name was regrettable.

You need to understand "her" tactics. Please see What is Passive Aggressive Behavior?

LOL, Yep, I screwed up big time!

Those plug wire ends suck. I have em on my wagon, but I will most likely change them before Charlotte.

Also it's possible the 1/2" is too much. Try twisting the distributor so the timing mark is right on (0*) Too much one way or the other won't run.

Gotta be getting close.

Bet Lamar conquers it!!

Ben

a very wise young man once said "Technology meant to simplify life has in itself made life more complex" No truer words have been spoken > So may it be with chrome coils and tiny little electrical boxes,

I have met a challenge, so yea Ben, go ahead

betitalleskridge.png

I think James Burke said it best in his BBC "Connections" series...

"Never in the history of mankind has so many, known so little, about so much."

Great series if you can find it.

Get back to the KISS theory...I bet you will get results.

All in all Lamar and I had a successful day. She started, but couldn't keep it up as now it seems the carb is not getting fuel. By the way, we redid the timing and the rotor was 180 degrees off. We corrected it and that solved the firing issue right off the bat. I've been videotaping so I'll post a link to some footage once I edit it a little. I screwed up though and busted the starter. My hand slipped when hitting the throttle and didn't fully engage the starter. It seems to have been just enough to tear off the piece that slips into the teeth of the flywheel. I'm gonna find someone in town to fix it and in the meantime grab the spare one off the the parts car in NC this weekend. But like I said it was a great day!

Edited by WillBilly53 (see edit history)

Dang...that sounded painful. Great attitude though...might as well laugh it off.

It really seems like it just is not getting the fuel.....????

Yeah, it absolutely demolished the gear. Gonna hear from the shop tomorrow, though! But yeah, need to look at the carb closer. Lamar let me borrow a working fuel pump and its definitely working. Got fuel all the way to the pancake filter (we replaced the glass bowl for the time being because it was pretty gunked up) but no fuel pumping in the carb. So gotta see about the carb... So much fun!

Come on Lamar. Why don't you buy a '53 to use as a test mule. Then you would be able to answer anyone's questions in the future and you would probably start getting rid of those ugly '54s..........

anonymous

A good Buick friend once told me the 53 starter was unique. Something about the end cap. Not sure that is correct but this fellow is very knowledgeable. Hang onto that parts car starter even if it doesn't work, just in case he is correct.

If I'm not mistaken that may be the same thing I hear about the 54 starter...

The outside end does not use a bearing but a special bushing and that is a hard part to find apparently. It also is prone to premature wear and one is to try to limit the crank time so as not to heat it up.

.....that's what I recall, could very well be mistaken though.