1965 NON GS WITH FRESH PAINT

pyntre

HAPPY NEW YEAR.... Some inspiration for all the GREAT Riviera people out there, including PATRICK....Keep going , the day you finally drive the car to the local gas station at midnight and get that Milner / Two Lane Blacktop bad boy feeling { thats why we build these cars isn't it ?} all that hard work , blood , stress and money will be worth all of that !! I am into a 3 year frame off on my 65 and accomplished a ton in the past year but still have a huge list of spendo stuff to do. I never knew how complex these cars were before I got into it , crash coarse in patience , organizing ,and taking lots of good digital pics as you disassemble ! Anyway I just wanted to share a few pictures of my 65 as inspiration for a new year of restorations on these great American rolling works of art !!!

post-58317-14313878485_thumb.jpg

post-58317-143138784857_thumb.jpg

post-58317-143138784862_thumb.jpg

post-58317-143138784867_thumb.jpg

post-58317-143138784871_thumb.jpg

post-58317-143138784876_thumb.jpg

Guest straight shooter

Beautiful car pyntre. If you don't mind me asking approximately how much did it cost to fully restore your car. I would like to have an idea before I even consider acquiring a Riviera since they are a little more complex as you already stated, thanks.

OK Pyntre: Many of look at the finished product on a computer screen and that's fine. After looking at so many finished products it actually looks fairly easy. What most don't realize is how much work goes into these builds as well as how high the skill level needs to be in order for the finished product to come out looking like it does.

As much as I have worked on my cars I sometimes don't take the time to appreciate that combination of hard work as well as skill level on cars presented on these forums.

Very nice, Mitch

Thanks for all the great responses !!! The car is a long way from being done but has turned out the way I had invisioned it to so far . The only reason I went to this extreme and did a frame off was the fact there was zero rust on the car. The more I got into the car the more I realized it was REALLY clean. I disassembled the car completely by hand and only broke 1 seat bolt. That includes all the suspension and frame bolts ! PB blaster is your friend !! AS far as money is involved , well I think you could build 2 Chevelles or Camaros for the price of a 65 Riv. Its amazing that you can just about , if not completely, build the popular 60's cars out of a catalog , not so with the Riviera. Again , thanks so much for the nice comments !!

I am working on some pictures of the chassis and engine....having a hard time getting them to load ...As far as the show at the Fair Grounds ....probably be another year till its done...have to do the entire interior , electrical....yikes !

OK Pyntre: You mentioned "no rust". I can't tell you how important that is. It really puts you more then a leg up on your project. I am in the middle of two builds, a burgundy 64 and a gold 65. The 64 had rust issues which added quite a bit of labor as well as expense to the project. The 65 was 98.88888% rust free and turned out to be much easier to work on as well as a lot cheaper in the long run.

For example, the 64 had rust around the back window. The body shop guy got a repo piece for a 65 Elcamino from a Chev resto place and modified it to fit. I'd say it was a good 10 hours. The floor pans, trunk pan and several small unnoticeable areas on the body had the tin worm too. After the car got a dose of truth serum (media blasting) it all showed up. It probably cost me another $1000-1500 more plus all the low skill work I did like cutting out pieces, fitting in the new metal and sanding (which would have cost another 5 grand had I let the shop do all the rest). So you see how important that the no-rust body really is.

Looking forward to more pictures too. Mitch

• 11 months later...
Any updates on the project? It's been almost a year.:cool:

Been saving some money so I can continue...A big master bath remodel has sidelined me for a while. We got 15 inches of snow yesterday so its lockdown in the garage for the duration of the winter...bummer