Sign in to follow this  
Barry Wolk

What is this huge vehicle?

No preconceived notions of how large a car should be going on there! What a beast...

I'm told they were taken in Jackson, MI, so those are probably normal-sized cars on the streets. :eek:

Looks like a Mercedes tank.

There was the "Mighty Michigan" but the only one I've ever seen, plus the photos I've seen didn't look anything like this monster! Larry, where did you unearth this photo?

Pete Phillips

You can rule out Tipo KM Isotta Fraschini, bcause of wood wheels, lack of front brakes,long wheelbase and probable shaft drive. Otherwise the KM is about the right size.

Was the circus in town? 'Cause this won't be over till the Fat Lady sings...

largest-car06.jpg

This bigger-than-life Studebaker has been discussed before, but it's always fun to see again.

As for Barry's pics, are we looking at a truck-based vehicle, a big European make,

or some steroidal circus freak? Does the inelegant external doorsill bracing secure

the huge top when it's up? Whatever the outcome, it's curious as all get out!

TG

Do you mean the flaps behind each door? They look like they were spring steel and were meant to keep the door from slamming against the body as it flung open going down the road.:eek:

I think if a regular large car of the time - a Packard or Pierce for example instead of the compact roadster- were put next to this car it would not look so big. The radiator does have a Germanic look to it. The side lights in the fender fronts are odd, and vulnerable to damage as seen by the right front.

My guess is that it is home made, assembled from junk yard parts, maybe built on a truck chassis. Those are heavy wheels with 14 or 16 lugs. The body may be from another car and doesn't seem to go with the hood. The belt line ends at the hood instead of continuing on to the hood in the usual way. The hood doesn't fit well at the bottom of the cowl. The paint on the body looks slightly darker than the hood & aprons. The gas headlamps look truckish also. The lights mounted in the front of the fenders look like 30's electric lights? The hood, radiator shell & grill look simple enough that they could have been hand fabricated with simple tools. The body looks to be of 20's design and curved but the hood is made up of flat panels with steamer trunk type latches instead of hinges.

Big Foot's great great grandpappy? :)

The radiator looks a lot like an S.P.A.

My guess is that it is home made, assembled from junk yard parts, maybe built on a truck chassis. Those are heavy wheels with 14 or 16 lugs. The body may be from another car and doesn't seem to go with the hood. The belt line ends at the hood instead of continuing on to the hood in the usual way. The hood doesn't fit well at the bottom of the cowl. The paint on the body looks slightly darker than the hood & aprons. The gas headlamps look truckish also. The lights mounted in the front of the fenders look like 30's electric lights? The hood, radiator shell & grill look simple enough that they could have been hand fabricated with simple tools. The body looks to be of 20's design and curved but the hood is made up of flat panels with steamer trunk type latches instead of hinges.

The style of the other cars on the street and the licence plate would suggest a date of not much after 1910 for the photo. The wheels might have 14 or more bolts holding the hubs together but they only have six lugs holding the rims on the wheels so thay are not that big. Certainly looks custom built.

So if your a coach builder and got a firetruck and decided to make a big car for parades. this is what you would get?

I believe it is a 1910-13 High quality chassis with with possibly a custom body. At the very least the radiator and hood are custom because they do not look like anything that was produced.

The key to ID this I think is the chassis, wheels and the splash aprons with the covers at the back for the front of the spring. I spent quite a bit of time looking at photos of large period cars but have not hit on the right one yet.

Barry if you would like to, send me the photos @ The Old Motor and we can run them on there also.

The top bows look way out of proportion to the rest of the rear body section. I would love to see what's under the hood.

I think those lugs you see are just bolts that hold the spokes to the hub.

Depends what you mean by home made. The components are all 'factory' made, probably by any of several manufacturers who supplied components to 'assembled car' builders. Porbably just the body is 'custom-built'.

If someone has a rather realistic idea of the wheelbase of tghe smaller roadster, one could probably estimate the wheelbase of the first "monster car", as it seems abouyt 30% more.

Someone mentioned the brakes. I think it should have also come with an anchor, if only rear brakes.

John

I'm wondering if this is not an early Daimler. Maybe even their first four wheel drive car, which I have been unable to find a photo of anywhere on the Internet.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the location of the parking lights. Quite unusual for the obvious era of the car and also unusual in that the appear to be electric and not carbide like the headlights appear to be.