jeff_a

Peerless For Sale Department

I received an email a few days ago from Martha Dudley of the Roaring Twenties Antique Car Museum in Hood , Virginia. After 52 years, the collection of cars & memorabilia will be sold at the Worldwide-Auctioneers Auction in Auburn, IN August 30th-31st.

The 32 cars range from 1904-1948, and include a 1929 Peerless 6-61 Sedan. Nice picture I received today showing it in the museum:

1929 Peerless right.1 05-26-05.JPG

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Someone from Arizona who posted a 1930 Peerless for sale here on 12/15/17 sold it. I saw today that it was then resold it to the folks at Volkl US Cars, an import/export firm operating in AZ, CA, and Premenreuth, Germany. Very similar to a 1929 6-61 posted above, but the 6-61A variant. The 6-61A cars all seem to have side cowl vents, and often have 10-spoke wheels and fender lights. It was stored in a garage in Springfield, Missouri for 60 years before the family put it up for sale in 2016. Here' are a few pictures:

Fig. 1: original interior showing silk shades, pull tassel, and grab rope                                                                       

Peerless_5.jpg   Peerless_7.jpg.......Fig 2: correct Continental 11E engine, 66 h.p. @ 3,150 r.p.m.                                         

Fig. 3: side view of 1930 Peerless 6-61A before going to Germany in October, 2018

Peerless_9.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, jeff_a said:

This 1914 Peerless Model 48-Six Limousine will be sold at the Bonhams April 26th-27th Tupelo Auto Museum Auction. The event will be in Tupelo, MS and will be No Reserve:

image.thumb.png.4e8579aac738a84c79dd9e447f737802.pngphoto by Bonhams, est. 1793

It's back! Looks like it will be offered @ the Simeone sale in a few weeks. I always can't help but be curious about these cars that are posted as having been sold with a final hammer price but then re-appear at a subsequent sale. Regardless, this is just an interesting car for sure.

Thanks for the update! Definitely an interesting & Very Large motor car.  The ideal would be if someone bought it, added value to it by getting the systems running, and re-sold it. I never did hear if it ran or what shape the old girl was in when it left the museum in Tupelo. I wasn't there, and have never seen the Peerless(I've been calling it a Limousine, and they say it's a Town Car, so what do I know). Some possibilities: 

1. Somebody said they can't have it selling for 7,000, say it sold for 70,000 and penciled it in for another auction.
  2. It may be that a serious collector bought it for 67K or whatever the hammer price was, then decided it was in his interest for a re-sale.
  3. Maybe buyer was hoping it was in driving-around condition & it wasn't.
  4. Perhaps it became apparent that it was more valuable than 5-figures, and with the right promotion and the right auction...withOUT a Duesenberg and a Tucker...would fetch it.
  5. That whole thing about the fire truck engine might appeal to a guy who drives an Ahrens-Fox fire truck around, but be a little off-putting to a non-fire-apparatus collector. It's not like you can go out to the Hershey Show later that week and pick up the legit 578 Cu. In. Peerless T-Head engine for a Mod. 48-Six. I cannot think of anyone in the world sitting on a spare engine...though it's possible.
  6.  Someone from the Simeone Museum bought it with hopes for a resale down the road.

I've listed six possibilities. My own feeling is along the lines of the 4th one, that it's as desirable and rare as a 1912 Mercer or 1928 Bentley Le Mans racer(yeah the one that sold for 4 mil at the Monterey auctions a few years ago)...when you consider the presence of a car like this as it left the factory and coachbuilder's shop. Only two other cars like this, the 1913 48-Six that took Best In Class at Pebble Beach in 2010, and the 1912 in new condition at the Western Development Museum. The scale of this 48-Six is unreal...enough to make an NBA player look itty-bitty. The fellow who could afford that restoration would have to have unlimited finances, but there are people like that. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ $50,960 @ 10/7/19 Philadelphia auction

2018 photo of it at the museum, placard read "1910 LIMO PEERLESS":

3.jpg

• Like 1

Hemmings has a 1929 Peerless 6-61 listed for sale in Victor, NY(typo in ad says "6-81"). Contact seller via the HMN ad, which has 5 photos.

$24,500 OBO, 38,246 Miles, "Repainted 20 years ago, Drives Great."

https://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/69176352-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

https://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/69176351-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/peerless/6-81/2335747.html

ball & ball peerless special asking 800.00 any questions please call (850) 217-8340

20191127_103315.jpg

20191127_104246.jpg

20191127_104307.jpg