Peerless For Sale Department

jeff_a

On 4/2/2019 at 6:36 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Rare and unusual.  Makes me wonder what the provenance is on it.  Did you know about this one previously in your list? 

I can't say it's a particularly attractive car, but it did catch my eye that they tried to make it the same height as an open car from that era. 

I suppose it has one of those over the top cubic inch displacement 4 cylinders.

There will be a bidding frenzy at this huge 170-vehicle auction because of all the interesting autos, including a Model "J"  Duesenberg and a Tucker, and this one might be overshadowed a little bit. I've had this on the Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence registry for 12 years -- 1 of 7 known 1914s -- 3 being trucks. Normally, these have 578 Cu. In. T-head sixes, but the chaps at Bonhams say there's a story involving the car owned by someone in the Ahrens-Fox Co. and a "period engine swap" to one of their firetruck motors of about 600 Cu. In. There's a discussion of this Peerless on a Tupelo Museum thread in the General Discussion Forum w/ a photo of people standing next to another 48-Six to show relative size. It's much more elegant and imposing than you realize, not living a hundred years ago or seeing it in person. It could use a restoration, too, and that would help.

Two more Model 48 Limousines, one new condition, one restored:

1912_Peerless_Model_36.JPG?download

Image result for 1913 Peerless             ......................By Trekphiler - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6828255

...Best In Class, Class A, 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

.........Pinterest photo

48-Six means it's a 6-cylinder with the middle size of Peerless engine installed(i.e., 38 h.p.[using the old R.A.C. h.p. rating]/48 h.p.[R.A.C.], 578 cubes/60 h.p.[R.A.C.], 825 cubes). When this and the larger model came out, it led to electric start being available from late 1911-on because of their size. The 48-Six was built 1912 to 1915.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Classic Promenade has a 1927 Mod. 6-60 Peerless Sedan for sale in Phoenix, AZ for $26,800. Previously in the Steve Balbo Collection of Morgan Hill, and the Murphy Auto Museum of Oxnard, California. Bought new in San Diego. 850 miles since 1990s restoration. Price reduced today from $48,800.

Two of many excellent photos on the vintage car dealer's site:

5c90153ae6478.jpg

1927 Peerless Six-60 Sedan

5c90160955cb7.jpg
62 h.p., 7-main-bearing, 199.1 Cu. In. Continental engine

• 2 weeks later...

There's someone in Buckley, Washington who is interested in selling his 1929 Peerless. Awaiting more information.

I don't have too much information, yet, but it is a 6-61 Sedan. Gerald says "it is in really good shape and would make a great restoration project." The owner has not sent me an asking price yet. He is up in years and selling his place next year, so needs to sell the Peerless soon. He would prefer selling it to an antique car person instead of someone who will dismantle it and put in a cheap modern V-8 motor. One person said he was interested in buying it for a "hot rod" but wouldn't offer a price. Another who actually has a Peerless said he should price it at $13,000. Jerry thought that was too much. Here is what I heard from him today:

...........My guess as far as a price is somewhere around the five thousand dollar mark. It is supposed to be all there. The radiator is on the back seat floorboard. The person that had owned it had said that they had been driving it in all the parades before they began tearing it down for restoration. Someone told me that there is a whole roll of leather for the roof laying in the back seat. I’m handicapped so can’t get into it to see.      Jerry 

The Peerless company has quite a legacy, helping to create the luxury automaking industry. They had their own V-8s over a century ago. One Peerless engine was more than double the size of the current Corvette engine. The one in this 1929 Six-61 is a 215 cubic inch Continental flathead six, nearly identical to the photo 3 posts up ftom here.. New cost was $1,395 F.O.B. Cleveland, least expensive of the four Peerless models. Their finest luxury model was the Eight-125, with 114 h.p., up to a grand more expensive.

Owner: Gerald Moriarty

E:  jenamo@comcast.net........PH: (253) two five five-2704

Price: _ _ _ _ _

Interior: _ _ _ _ _

Completeness:  said to be all there

Mechanical Condition:  _ _ _ _ _

Screenshot 2019-05-06 at 8.37.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-05-06 at 8.30.37 PM.png

On 12/11/2017 at 2:45 PM, jeff_a said:

Image result for owls head museum auction 2017 peerless

Photo by kenmojr/FivePrime.org/hiveminer.com/flickr.com

I looked at the Owls Head Transportation Museum site about their auction, and there are 3 photos of the 1928 Peerless -- the first one on this thread, one of it´s Packard hood ornament(1918-19 vintage), and one of the engine. Ralph, whom you met at Hershey, told me it is one of three Peerless Boat Tail Roadsters with Hume bodies(Hume Carriage Co., Boston), the other 2 going to Canada when new. No mention of that in the auction blurb, so add custom body to the list. This outstanding photograph seems to show it with headlights and benefiting from a good detailing. Dave Noran, an owner of a similar car, says only 362 8-69s of all body styles were made in 1928.

P.S.: I haven´t seen the car in person, documentation, or a coachbuilders tag, but this is what Ralph told me in 2015. There definitely was a Hume Carriage Co., doing bodies for Hupmobile, Lincoln, Locomobile, Marmon, Mercedes, and Pierce-Arrow.

I'm sorry to hear that the owner passed on.

I went to see this car around 2010 in Maine when it

was for sale by the owner.  It was the worst restoration

I have ever seen.

Old Cars Price Guide says a "#4 condition" car can be

a very poor amateur restoration.  That is a good description

of this Peerless.  It might look good in pictures from a distance,

but it's no wonder that it didn't sell.  The wheels had been painted

over the rust pits;  the top was lumpy.  The radiator he used

didn't fit within the shell, so he put some filler at the top.  There

were flaws in the paint.  The owner seemed quite willing to

forsake authenticity on some items.  And so on.  Maybe he eventually

corrected a few deficiencies.  I don't like to criticize, though people interested

in this car could benefit from knowing and save themselves a trip.

Here are a few close-ups I took at the time:

1928 Peerless 4.JPG

1928 Peerless 5.JPG

1928 Peerless 7.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

John -- thanks for the post & the photos from 2010. Interesting that you got to meet Ralph Cartonio and see his place. Though it didn't sell at the New England auto auction, I heard it sold soon after -- maybe one of those parking lot transactions. A Chrysler dealer from LaPorte, IN got it. Then it appeared at the 2018 Spring Auburn RM/Sotheby's auction, and Bryan Fairfield bought it. I have no idea where he lives.

Ralph was a paint & body man and one of four people many Peerlesses have passed through(Cartonio, Harrah, Dotson, and Stelford). One thing he did on this and one other Peerless roadster was use two-tone colors on the raised-center fenders. Looks good, but never done on any other original or restored paint job ever, as far as I know. For years he looked for the right-sized rad shell for this Peerless. Once he bought one on ebay which was the wrong size. He bought a whole car, maybe $20,000-30,000-worth, just to get one the right size. I never heard how it all turned out. He said the problem was that each successively bigger and more expensive model in their lineup(6-60/6-80/6-91/8-69) had the same rad shell design but was incrementally larger.

I understand both sides of it and Jeff's comments are important.  This is not a car you can build from a catalog.  It sounds like - and I believe this to be true - Ralph did all his own work or knew who did it, and this is to be commended.  It's still a beautiful car and amateurism is to be commended in the over-restoration culture we reside in.

I am sure Ralph enjoyed this car while he was alive, and he put one back into circulation.  Let the next owner improve the wheels, perhaps the top, and so on.  I am sure the post auction sale was hashed out with reference to some of the details you noted. 

I know a top flight restoration shop can fabricate about anything, and I suppose the correct way to restore that radiator issue, is fabrication, getting the size and shape right, but maybe 95% visually similar (most radiators now are made from aluminum). 

Not sure what to do about the wheel pits.  I suppose there are companies that can flow new metal into the pit areas, like they do on pot metal.  But again, Ralph amateur restored this car, improved it, drove it enjoyed it and put it back into the gene pool.  Not saying the negative comments are not valid, just bringing the narrative a bit of positivity. 

4 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

...  It's still a beautiful car and amateurism is to be commended in the over-restoration culture we reside in.

Let the next owner improve the wheels, perhaps the top, and so on. ...

Not saying the negative comments are not valid, just bringing the narrative a bit of positivity. 

Jake, we can all appreciate when someone restores

a car by himself.  If Ralph the owner were still around,

I would hesitate to write so forthrightly;  but if the car

has been on the market now, people should be aware.

EVERYTHING on the car would have to be redone to 

make it in excellent condition:  It was only a beautiful

car from a styling standpoint, and when viewed from a

distance.  A sight-unseen buyer would be gravely disappointed.

I trust that the owner loved his Peerless hobby.

May Ralph be still enjoying his life hereafter!

John:

I 100% agree they should be made aware - from now on.    There should be no sight unseen buyers in the price range this car would usually and normally command.  Careful inspection should be a given.  I do understand though that many transactions end badly because of misinformation, and I have been on the buying end of many of those due to my trusting nature. 

I have a photo somewhere showing the car before Ralph did anything to it. It was out in a field and kind of a derelict. I can't find it, but think I have 4 more which may be it. All told, it'll take me an hour or two to find these, drive to town, scan it, email it to the library, & have them send it to me. If they are of the same car, they are probably from 20 or 30 years ago....since it won 2nd Place at a car show in New Gloucester, Maine 15 years ago and had the current paint job.

..........................................................................................................................................frame rail and exhaust cut-out:

.image.thumb.jpeg.9ed208d8fbc2ff2e332673691e44b610.jpeg

.................................................................................................................................possibly the 1928 Peerless 8-69 Roadster

Here it is at the 2004 Knucklebuster's Frozen Custard Car Show:

Custard_04_07.jpg

....it's sporting the same paint job as in 2017-2018 photos

....it does not have side-mounted spares 

....it has the unique company-designed Peerless Eagle radiator mascot seen on 1926-1929 Peerlesses

....a Peerless Guy in Belle Plaine, MN who bought 2 Peerless 8-69s last year tells me a motometer was supplied with a new 8-69, meaning the eagle was a dealer accessory

....literature from the same person says the 8-69 Roadsters were all 133 1/2" w.b. 

....I cannot tell if these are wood- or wire-spoke wheels

....it does not appear to have a cowl band or cowl lights

• 1 month later...

58d1793dd3eba_images(1).jpg.5199b6414958dd2f957ac6023d617a5c.jpg

There will be a yellow & black 1929 Peerless 6-61 Deluxe Roadster for sale at the New England Auto Auction at the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Maine Aug. 16/17.
I have never seen it in person -- but it appears to be an outstanding restoration. Exactly two of these Peerless Six-61 Roadsters are known to exist: this one and a red one in British Columbia. Quite a few of these were built. Heavily advertised. The Six-61 model received orders for 8,236 cars on the day of it's introduction at the New York Auto Show.

engine: 66870874-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

rear 3/4 view: 

66870872-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

(from Hemmings online ad)  Seller’s Description:

This rare, AACA-award-winning 1929 Peerless Six-61 Roadster reflects the company's advertising slogan, “All That the Name Implies,” in every way. Sold new by the J.C. Harvey Company of Boston and Worcester, this vehicle was delivered from the factory on August 19, 1929. Found hidden away in an old service station in Massachusetts, this beautiful automobile received a complete frame-off restoration to national show standards. Every nut and bolt of this Peerless roadster was handled during the process; the wooden body frame was completely rebuilt, as well. These extra efforts were validated when the vehicle won the AACA 1st Junior Award in 2011 and the AACA 1st Senior Award in 2012 at the AACA Hershey shows. From 2016-2019 this vehicle has been on loan and well cared for at the Owls Head Transportation Museum. A briefcase full of rare documents, photographs and advertisements related to the care and Peerless history are included in the sale. Vehicle s

• 2 weeks later...

A fantastic opportunity to buy a Peerless. John has his 1929 Straight Eight 125 7-Pass. Sedan for sale up in Ontario.

It has a 322 Cu. In. Continental 8 with 114 HP, and a wheelbase of 133".post-49853-143138108497_thumb.jpg

22,000 USD - - - contact model8125 here on the AACA Forums - - - 

..................................................................................Here's the post from up on the Cars For Sale Forum:     .........................................................................

model8125

•  
  •  
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Selling 1929 8 cylinder - 7 passenger sedan with 138 in. W.B. Car runs and is driven on tours and to local shows. Recognized by the CCCA as a true classic. Original continental engine with 66.000 miles on odometer. Email me for more details at knightnewt@gmail.com  Asking $22,000 US

John

Ontario, Canada

DSC00477 (2).JPG

• Like 1

On the AACA Horseless Carriage Forum, HCCA Classifieds, Cars, there is a 1927 Peerless Model 6-90 Boat Tail Coupe for sale in Verona, Wisconsin.

It's funny, really; I mailed the owner a letter yesterday with a list of all 24 known Peerlesses with Collins 6 engines in them(6-70/6-72/6-90/6-91 models) and the same day read that he has the car ready for sale.

There are only 3 known 1909 Peerlesses in existence: 2 Model 19 and 1 Model 25 motorcars. I see on Hemmings Motor News online that the stunning Peerless Mod. 25 Raceabout is for sale by Hyman Ltd in St. Louis.

67585452-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1       (Rear View.........right click on symbol, left click on "open image in gnu tab", left click on photo prompt that may appear at top of screen)

(Side View, a gorgeous photograph from the Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance some years ago: )

Image result for 1909 Peerless

Well, you ought to buy it. The whole family would fit.

No top, leather upholstery, no doors, though. It would be a real nightmare in the rain. 

I have no idea what it will sell for or if there's even a price the establishment has in mind....but I see it as a much rarer and more interesting motor car than a Mercer Raceabout or Stutz Bearcat. There really aren't any more of these anywhere. It has a 50 h.p., 616 cu. in., T-head six, according to what I've read, though the dealer description says otherwise. But what do I know....having never seen it or owned it?

I looked at the Autabuy site just now and discovered that the Pioneer Auto Show museum has one of their museum cars for sale:

1928 Peerless

Rear 3/4 View showing the fitted trunk one gets in a close-coupled sedan:

1928 Peerless

These have 62 HP Continental 199.1 Cu. In. flathead engines. You can see the Peerless Body tag on the firewall above the oil can.

1928 Peerless

The interior. Mahogany steering wheel, Radi-Meter, 80 m.p.h.Speedometer, Gasoline Gauge, Ammeter & Oil Gauge. The windshield cranks up 3", the 6 side windows crank down.

1928 Peerless

I saw the Peerless 7 years ago and believe it's extremely complete and original re: interior & engine compartment. Even the rarely-present winding knobs to raise the windshield and rear quarter windows are there!
> The museum is on I-80, in Murdo, South Dakota

Early 20th century motor cars. When I saw the Peerless in 2012, it was between a Buick and a Locomobile. Visible here, 3rd car back.

> It's an old-fashioned kind of museum with 300 cars/motorcycles/tractors including Elvis' Harley, a Porsche tractor, a 1903 Ford, a 1917 Grant, a 1921 White motorhome, a 1921 Stutz, a 1925 Rickenbacker, a 1927 Kissel Roadster, a 1927 Jordan, Tom Mix's 1931 Packard, 2 1937 Cords, and a 1938 V-16 Cadillac.

> PH: #605) 669-2691 E-mail: pas@pioneerautoshow.com

> 20 photos on the autabuy.com listing. I do not see a price. I think there's a place to make an offer.

> I would say it is a 1928 Close-Coupled 5-Passenger Model Six-60 Sedan. Every single part conforms to that, except the instrument panel is more like that used on a 1927 6-60, so maybe it was a transitional example between the First & Second Series 6-60 cars. 

> These were $1,395, F.O.B. Cleveland. 7,030 6-60s were sold in 1927 & 1928

> According to the Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence list, only five of these exist, so only enough for one in each corner of the continental United States:

Alaska, Washington, California, Florida, and Maine. Actually, 1 is in South Africa and 1 is in Finland....so only 3 in the States.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:10 AM, model8125 said:

My car has been sold and I wanted to thank everyone who showed interest the last couple of weeks.  Great vehicle and I will miss driving it.

2029149564_DSC00477(2).thumb.JPG.347e704bfe30c080f2ccdc0ea421d452.JPG

Thank you for letting us know, John & Sherry. I can see how you would get attached to it. I was telling someone that it must be one of the best Peerlesses out there. One of the Top Ten if you needed to have the best of the best at an event featuring Peerless.

9 hours ago, C Carl said:

Jeff, do you know anything about the mechanical needs of this car ? It would be informative to know, as that explains the pricing.

Thanks,    -    Carl 

Do you mean the green one or the black one?

The last one on the thread, that sold 3 days ago, if it was like its twin in Florida(99.5 score in CCCA judging), would be at least $80,000 underpriced. More like $130,000 underpriced. It is not in concours condition, mostly well preserved with one repaint 20, 30, 40 years ago. It came from a Canadian's collection, Charles Brown, I think, from Ontario. I don't know anything about its mechanical condition. 

A lot of people have heard of Peerless, but few are as knowledgeable as you or I and maybe a hundred on the AACA Forums. About a 1/4 think Pierce-Arrow or even Chevrolet made them. One magazine did a feature story on another Peerless Sedan of this stature, included a gorgeous full-page color photo, and captioned it "1931 Packard De Luxe Eight", figuring it must be a Packard. So, there aren't too many media articles telling us about the fine points of a car like this Peerless 8-125, and if they do they focus mostly on the V-16 and Green Dragon cars, not the production models. Sometimes you'll read something about the brass Peerlesses, like the Aught-Four and 1914 at the Bonhams sales recently...or the 34,000 V-8/Dual Exhaust/4-Barrel Carburetor Peerless units that were their best sellers.

The black one above could go into a collection like The LeMay, Cussler, or Gilmore who simply want to say they have a Peerless, Pierce-Arrow & Packard; part of the fraternity of just 15 in the world to have all THREE PS OF PRESTIGE. Even if it wasn't restored right away.

Yes, the green one, sorry. There was a response under the Cars For Sale topic referencing a potentially expensive engine repair needed. That response has been deleted. The gentleman, who is an extremely honorable dealer, lives not far from the car. He seriously looked into it. Recently having had a similar issue with a V12 Lincoln, he was understandably gun shy. I imagine he deleted, not wanting to re-live an unpleasant, traumatic experience. Obvious to most, if not all of us here, there must have been an issue with the car as evidenced by the otherwise incongruously low pricing. The Peerless still was a good deal at the price, since it sold quickly. Particularly so if it has an original interior in very well preserved condition. But I don't think we know about that factor either. I am sure others join me in curiosity surrounding these 2 points.    -   Carl 

I received an email a few days ago from Martha Dudley of the Roaring Twenties Antique Car Museum in Hood , Virginia. After 52 years, the collection of cars & memorabilia will be sold at the Worldwide-Auctioneers Auction in Auburn, IN August 30th-31st.

The 32 cars range from 1904-1948, and include a 1929 Peerless 6-61 Sedan. Nice picture I received today showing it in the museum:

1929 Peerless right.1 05-26-05.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Someone from Arizona who posted a 1930 Peerless for sale here on 12/15/17 sold it. I saw today that it was then resold it to the folks at Volkl US Cars, an import/export firm operating in AZ, CA, and Premenreuth, Germany. Very similar to a 1929 6-61 posted above, but the 6-61A variant. The 6-61A cars all seem to have side cowl vents, and often have 10-spoke wheels and fender lights. It was stored in a garage in Springfield, Missouri for 60 years before the family put it up for sale in 2016. Here' are a few pictures:

Fig. 1: original interior showing silk shades, pull tassel, and grab rope                                                                       

Peerless_5.jpg   Peerless_7.jpg.......Fig 2: correct Continental 11E engine, 66 h.p. @ 3,150 r.p.m.                                         

Fig. 3: side view of 1930 Peerless 6-61A before going to Germany in October, 2018

Peerless_9.jpg

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, jeff_a said:

This 1914 Peerless Model 48-Six Limousine will be sold at the Bonhams April 26th-27th Tupelo Auto Museum Auction. The event will be in Tupelo, MS and will be No Reserve:

image.thumb.png.4e8579aac738a84c79dd9e447f737802.pngphoto by Bonhams, est. 1793

It's back! Looks like it will be offered @ the Simeone sale in a few weeks. I always can't help but be curious about these cars that are posted as having been sold with a final hammer price but then re-appear at a subsequent sale. Regardless, this is just an interesting car for sure.

Thanks for the update! Definitely an interesting & Very Large motor car.  The ideal would be if someone bought it, added value to it by getting the systems running, and re-sold it. I never did hear if it ran or what shape the old girl was in when it left the museum in Tupelo. I wasn't there, and have never seen the Peerless(I've been calling it a Limousine, and they say it's a Town Car, so what do I know). Some possibilities: 

1. Somebody said they can't have it selling for 7,000, say it sold for 70,000 and penciled it in for another auction.
  2. It may be that a serious collector bought it for 67K or whatever the hammer price was, then decided it was in his interest for a re-sale.
  3. Maybe buyer was hoping it was in driving-around condition & it wasn't.
  4. Perhaps it became apparent that it was more valuable than 5-figures, and with the right promotion and the right auction...withOUT a Duesenberg and a Tucker...would fetch it.
  5. That whole thing about the fire truck engine might appeal to a guy who drives an Ahrens-Fox fire truck around, but be a little off-putting to a non-fire-apparatus collector. It's not like you can go out to the Hershey Show later that week and pick up the legit 578 Cu. In. Peerless T-Head engine for a Mod. 48-Six. I cannot think of anyone in the world sitting on a spare engine...though it's possible.
  6.  Someone from the Simeone Museum bought it with hopes for a resale down the road.

I've listed six possibilities. My own feeling is along the lines of the 4th one, that it's as desirable and rare as a 1912 Mercer or 1928 Bentley Le Mans racer(yeah the one that sold for 4 mil at the Monterey auctions a few years ago)...when you consider the presence of a car like this as it left the factory and coachbuilder's shop. Only two other cars like this, the 1913 48-Six that took Best In Class at Pebble Beach in 2010, and the 1912 in new condition at the Western Development Museum. The scale of this 48-Six is unreal...enough to make an NBA player look itty-bitty. The fellow who could afford that restoration would have to have unlimited finances, but there are people like that. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ $50,960 @ 10/7/19 Philadelphia auction

2018 photo of it at the museum, placard read "1910 LIMO PEERLESS":

3.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hemmings has a 1929 Peerless 6-61 listed for sale in Victor, NY(typo in ad says "6-81"). Contact seller via the HMN ad, which has 5 photos.

$24,500 OBO, 38,246 Miles, "Repainted 20 years ago, Drives Great."

https://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/69176352-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

https://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/69176351-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/peerless/6-81/2335747.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

From "Cars For Sale" Forum on April 2nd:

This needs to be here in the Peerless Forum also.

1925 peerless touring car . California car needs restoration very solid car steel and wood very nice . engine turns fine ran for few minutes years back .We had the students at local tech school prime paint the panels for preservation . car is assemble now . top is there poor also side rain guards  very good examples patterns .mechanically car is original has not been apart please see photos asking price 14,000  can be delivered    (car is in Maine) 2077761610

SAM_2599.JPG

SAM_2594.JPG

SAM_2591.JPG

SAM_2588.JPG

SAM_2586.JPG

SAM_2584.JPG

SAM_2577.JPG

SAM_2575.JPG

j m davis phd reacted to this

These photos are from Anthony Cartonio in Maine -- who has the largest collection of Peerless cars and parts in the world, that I know of. There were some other posts back on 3/30. 3/31, 4/1 and April 2nd that were moved. He has a lot to sell. Most were collected by his father Ralph Cartonio, who had at one time 12 or 13 Peerlesses, counting partial cars. Ralph passed away in 2015. I talked to Anthony on the phone a few weeks ago. Sorry to not get on here earlier. Have been commuting 100 miles a day and doing a lot of construction projects.

Though I haven't been to his place, Anthony said there are six drivers and six parts cars [ + truckloads of parts ]. The red one in the shots above is actually the 1925 Peerless Model Six-72 5-Passenger Touring Phaeton(289 Collins Superb Six engine) which was an unusual shade of blue/green when Eugene Swantz of San Diego had it from 1961-2011.  I don't know how many are left or what is for sale, but at one time Ralph's collection included:

• 1922-23-ish Speedster made from a Touring or Sedan, Peerless V-8 motor, Dandy Dave worked on the engine once!
  • 1925 6-72 Touring Phaeton, extra front fenders & engine 
  • 1926 6-80 Roadster, boattail
  • 1929 Mod. 6-61 Coupe, completely re-wooded & wood-grained by Peerless expert Don Bettes, primed to paint, golf bag door, wire wheels, ex- Bill Harrah car
  • 1929 Mod 6-61 Deluxe Coupe, incomplete top, partly dismantled
  • appears to be a green Victoria(2-door 4-Pass.)...maybe a '29 6-81
  • 1929 6-81 Sedan, 33,000 miles, last 3 owners were doctors
  • 1929 8-125 Coupe, Ralph found this ultra-rare car in 2013
  • 1930 Standard Eight, dismantled
  • 1932 Cabriolet Eight, possibly Master or Custom(NFS)

• Like 1

Regarding the Eight-125 Coupe, imagine this 8-125 as a Coupe(this 7-P Sedan had 138" w.b., Coupe had 130" w.b.):

...as Jason Wenig says, there are only 6 of these 8-125s on the planet...

Image may contain: 1 person......image courtesy of The Creative Workshop 8-125 Restoration Portfolio 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, jeff_a said:

This 1914 Peerless Model 48-Six Limousine will be sold at the Bonhams April 26th-27th Tupelo Auto Museum Auction. The event will be in Tupelo, MS and will be No Reserve:

image.thumb.png.4e8579aac738a84c79dd9e447f737802.pngphoto by Bonhams, est. 1793

Anybody know what may have became of this big brute? I'm still hoping to catch a glimpse of it a show one of these days! Wonder what coast it ended up on?

• 2 months later...

Jeff,  you are slacking...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1926-peerless-boat-tail-speedster/

This 1926 Peerless Model 80 features boattail speedster bodywork finished in yellow with black fenders and is powered by a 248ci Continental straight-six paired with a three-speed manual transmission. Features include a rumble seat, wood=spoked wheels, a winged hood ornament with a water temperature gauge, and more. The car was acquired by the seller along with several other Peerless models from its previous owner in Berkeley, California in 2020. Service performed under current ownership included cleaning of the carburetor, ignition points, and fuel system as well as an oil change and replacement of the battery. This Peerless is offered with a soft top and frame and a clean California title in the seller’s name.

1926 Peerless Six-80 Boattail Speedster

Hi A.J., good to hear from you! I have enjoyed reading the repartee between you and that guy from Massachusetts. I am not familiar with this car.

I don't read BringATrailer often. Maybe I should -- since they or maybe Barnfinds.com featured a couple of Peerlesses before. This is a really choice car, in my opinion. It's  a little hard to sort through the year/model/engine details, since I'm away from my lists, but it's rare to find a surviving boattail Peerless Roadster. A lot were built, but only 8 come to mind. These were only produced 1926, 1927, 1928 in 5 models(6-60, 6-80, 6-90, 6-72 & 8-69...listed in increasing cost).

It is not a 248 Continental engine. Those have down-and-back exhaust manifolds on the l.s. of the engine and were only on the 1929 6-81 Peerless. The motor looks more like one from a 1929 6-61 or 1927-1928 6-60 Peerless. It IS one of the 7 Continental engines used in Peerless cars; not surprising when you remember Detroit interests tried to take over Peerless, both when Continental's president was Chairman of the Board at Peerless, and when Cadillac made their move in 1922.

If it's a 1927 6-60 it would have been $1,395 at the factory. The drum lights were most common for '27, and for '28 bullet lights.

The serial numbers

• 10 E 377 [engine]
  • 60 A 400 749 [car]

suggest it's got the 377th of 5,754 Continental 10 E engines, 199 Cu. In., used in the 6-60...with 899 11 E engines also used, totaling 6,653 engines built. They also suggest it's the 248th out of 3,038 1st Series Six-60 Peerlesses...with 3,990 2nd Series also built, totaling 7,028 motorcars. The Six-60 was a 1927-1928 model, replaced with the Six-61 of 1929(that had a 214 Cu. In. engine). The 1929 Six-81 had a 248 Cu. In. motor.

UPDATE: alsancle: I'm on the road for a doctor visit and saw a Robb Report in a grocery store w/ a blurb about the virtual Monterey auction sales, featuring a 1930 Stutz MB Monte Carlo, Weymann body, on the docket. That sounded a little like you. Do you know the car or if it sold?1930 Stutz Model MB Monte Carlo by Weymann profile