Peerless For Sale Department

jeff_a

• 5 weeks later...

A 1910 Peerless Model 27 Seven-passenger Touring Car is for sale for $285,000. The contact person is Glyndon Knutson in South Dakota, 605-six-six-zero-0492. It's listed on the HCCA Forum on the AACA Forums, with several photos, if you go to the club link and classifieds.

11800_1.jpg

photo by G. Knutson/HCCA

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anthony Cartonio, the late Ralph Cartonio's son, has emailed me that he would like to sell two Peerlesses located in Maine. More information to follow...

Anthony Cartonio

E-Mail: anthonycart58@gmail.com

Phone: #(207) 776-1610

1. 1929 Peerless Model 6-61 Deluxe Coupe

Purchased from Peerless authority Don Bettes after he meticulously replaced all of the body wood. Appears primered and ready to paint. D/S/M, wire wheels.

2. 1926 Peerless Model 6-80 boattail Roadster

June, 2017 photo below.

SAM_1646.JPG

I think Don said he had the engine professionally  rebuilt in that 6-61. He said all that was needed was paint and an interior.I guess Ralph never got around to do it.  Top was done also. I know Don and if said it, you can take it to the bank. His work was beautiful. Like you said he is the authority on Peerless. Great guy . I would love to get ahold of that car but am up to my ears in Franklins .

I am not a dealer in antique automobiles, but if someone desired to start a Roaring 20s Peerless Collection or museum these cars are available right now:

• 1925 6-70 5-P Sedan (North Carolina)
  • 1925 6-72 7-P Touring Phaeton (Maine)
  • 1926 6-80 Roadster (Maine)
  • 1927 6-80 Landaulet (U.K.)
  • 1927 6-90 Roadster Coupe (Missouri)
  • 1928 6-80 Roadster Coupe (Turkey)
  • 1929 6-61 Deluxe Coupe (Maine)

1 hour ago, 29 franklin said:

I think Don said he had the engine professionally  rebuilt in that 6-61. He said all that was needed was paint and an interior.I guess Ralph never got around to do it.  Top was done also. I know Don and if said it, you can take it to the bank. His work was beautiful. Like you said he is the authority on Peerless. Great guy . I would love to get ahold of that car but am up to my ears in Franklins .

You're right, Don is extremely knowledgeable about Peerlesses, especially from the 1920s, and has restored a number of great cars.

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2017 at 10:17 AM, jeff_a said:

A 1910 Peerless Model 27 Seven-passenger Touring Car is for sale for $285,000. The contact person is Glyndon Knutson in South Dakota, 605-six-six-zero-0492. It's listed on the HCCA Forum on the AACA Forums, with several photos, if you go to the club link and classifieds.

11800_1.jpg

photos by G. Knutson/HCCA

This outstanding 1910 Peerless is back on the market again after the sale fell through. Also back on the HCCA Classifieds.

11800.jpg

A 1925 Peerless 6-70 5-Passenger Sedan is FS on Hemmings Motor News  online. They have relisted it as a ¨1925 Peerless ROLLIN BODY SEDAN¨ (from 1925 8-67 Sedan). Photos here on ¨New Peerless Discovered¨ thread. I kinda wish the ad in Hemmings could have had Raulang spelled right, but it´s still a very interesting motor car. Finest 6-70 in the world..............there are two:

• one a 1924 Five-Passenger Touring Phaeton, Pullman Body
  • the other an early-1925 Five-Passenger Sedan, Raulang Body

• 1 month later...

At the August, 2017 Owls Head Museum Auction, an orange and cream Peerless Model Eight-69 Roadster was for sale, but appears not to have sold. It belonged to the late Ralph Cartonio of Maine. Nice looking car with wire wheels, 332 Cu. In. Peerless V-8, a golf bag door, and dual side mounts. The engine serial number (37,502) is in the last-100 of the factory serial numbers allocated for all the last-edition Peerless V8 cars(1926-1928 Mod. 8-69):  Model 69......36,001-37,503. 

Photo by Owls Head Museum.

Image result for new peerless roadster

Edited by jeff_a
corrected serial number range (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The 1920 4-Door, 4-Passenger Roadster that was in the Grant Quam Collection, Ames, IA is for sale by the family. One of four cars left from the 52 he had, most selling at a big auction 9/26/15. Listed as sold in the auction results, it must not have gone through.  Anyone interested, please call  John Quam at (650) Two Nine Six-9252.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 8:05 AM, Imperial62 said:

I rarely make such strong statements but I believe this car (THIS CAR) is one of the finest cars in the world, given all the considerations.  It's place in Peerless and automotive history, the fact it is the quintessential 1920's car body and style, is a convertible and in those colors.   If I was a wealthy person who could afford the finest Ferraris. Classics and 50's dream cars, I would have to have this car in my collection.  I have no idea what it's value is, but this is the poster child for the 1920's.  With all the millionaires in the US and Europe, I can not believe this car did not sell.  

Maybe it was lost in the background with over 200 cars. The top sellers were 2 Thirties Packards and 2 Fifties DeSotos.

I´m glad you like the car a little. Like my friend Gary says: ¨Not too shabby!¨ I was reading about a ´27 Packard for sale yesterday, and the dealer said ¨Every serious car collection needs to have a Classic Packard.¨ I agree....but there´s no real comparison between Packard and Peerless on the Rare-O-Meter. There are lots of Packards out there. I didn´t know this boattail Roadster was at the auction until months after it happened. Did you catch the serial number and its significance?

Off the top of my head, I can think of only five 1927/28 Peerless Eight-69s. I checked KPAIE and there are 2 in Quebec(one 7-Pass. Sedan, one 7-P Limousine), 1 in Maine(2-P Roadster), 1 in Oregon(7-P Sedan), 1 near Philly(2-P Roadster Coupe or Roadster), 1 in Missouri(7-P Sedan I went to look at last fall), 1 in Minnesota(Sedan),  1 unknown, 1 in Florida(5-P Coupe), and 2 in Ohio(the maroon 7-P Sedan or Limousine Brian Coffee sold recently, and a 2-P Coupe he still has), making 11 total.  

Image result for owls head museum auction 2017 peerless

Photo by kenmojr/FivePrime.org/hiveminer.com/flickr.com

I looked at the Owls Head Transportation Museum site about their auction, and there are 3 photos of the 1928 Peerless -- the first one on this thread, one of it´s Packard hood ornament(1918-19 vintage), and one of the engine. Ralph, whom you met at Hershey, told me it is one of three Peerless Boat Tail Roadsters with Hume bodies(Hume Carriage Co., Boston), the other 2 going to Canada when new. No mention of that in the auction blurb, so add custom body to the list. This outstanding photograph seems to show it with headlights and benefiting from a good detailing. Dave Noran, an owner of a similar car, says only 362 8-69s of all body styles were made in 1928.

P.S.: I haven´t seen the car in person, documentation, or a coachbuilders tag, but this is what Ralph told me in 2015. There definitely was a Hume Carriage Co., doing bodies for Hupmobile, Lincoln, Locomobile, Marmon, Mercedes, and Pierce-Arrow.

[In response to a Bryan Moran post that was deleted re: driving to Hershey in 2018]

If you are ever interested in coachbuilders, look on coachbuild.com or coachbuilt.com. You can spend hours there. There are pictures of all 6 of those  carmakers chassis´ with Hume  bodies mentioned 3 posts back on the  coachbuild site. Coachbuilt even has some stuff I researched on Pullman. There were more coachbuilders back then then there are  pennies in a dollar. Packard and Peerless were about even with around 42 each.

Going to Hershey is something I would do every year if I could afford it, but only was possible in 2013 with David Baird helping out with 6 airline flights. I paid for the El from O´Hare to Union Station and Amtrak from Chicago to Cleveland. From there we trailered a Pierce and a Peerless to Hershey & I wound up flying home Cleveland to Boise after Amtrak Altoona to Cleveland. I know when you and your dad made the trip a few years ago, you didn´t stay overnight. The place I crashed at for 4 nights, the Hershey Lodge, is $498/night. Best hotel I ever stayed at, but Jeez, it cost more than I made that year. Hotel aside, the killer-diller for me is the 5,000-mile drive in my pickup. I guess I could sell a baseball team or a business jet(fresh out)...or buy some lottery tickets.

Peerless six-61A,

I saw the excellent photos on the other post. I was able to add a serial number I didn´t have from the southeast Missouri owners based on that. It´s a very late 1929 Peerless possibly made in the first few months of 1930, and so listed as that model year. The engine serial number indicates it being 13 numbers from the end of all 1929/30 Model 6-61 engines(11E-13,284 in a run of  11E-5,200 to 11E-13,297).

To prepare for the  6-61, the company invested a million dollars in design, testing and tooling, to produce a quality car for $1,200 to $1,500. The problem Peerless had was that the new model 6-61 was so well received at the 1929 New York Auto Show they got 8,236 orders in one day -- so some of the 6-61 production bled into 1930 a little while the company was re-tooling their whole line to straight eights(instead of one straight 8 and three straight 6s). The 1930s were called  ¨6-61A¨ instead of ¨6-61¨ and did have a few changes, like side vents on the cowl. About 4,000 Six-61 cars out of 9,000 built, if one believes the serial numbers allotted to the model, didn´t get made by Sept. 1st, 1929 -- thus becoming 1930 Six-61A models. Whole trainloads of 6-61s were going out of the factory to satisfy demand, according to the company ads. 

Something of an enigma, an example of this lowest-priced Peerless model ever sold for $57,200 at last years Owls Head Auction, one of the highest prices for a Peerless sale recently. They´re nice-looking cars with an appeal beyond their market niche then and now.

The 6-61 Sedan in Arizona sold.

On 12/14/2017 at 7:38 AM, Imperial62 said:

Just put  a little aside to get to Iowa and we will drive there from Iowa. My dad was too old to camp then but tried it for one night to save money. There are places to camp outside of Hershey and drive in.  As you know, lots of walking and standing but plenty of places to rest in between, which is part of the reason Ralph and I spent about 45 minutes talking/listening. 

You might have to put up with my family if it comes to that because it could be the family vacation!  Just a thought.

Sounds like  great road trip -- just not in a financial position to do it. I actually don´t own a major sports franchise or a Gulfstream IV.

The 1925 Peerless 6-70 Sedan mentioned in the ¨New Peerless Discovered¨ thread, post #116, has been listed in the AACA Forums under Horseless Carriages, Link to HCCA site, Classifieds, Cars for sale. It´s an older restoration and apparently one item needing work the previous owner didn´t get done(brake cylinders sleeved and rebuilt), has just been taken care of by the new owner. This car is in North Carolina.

A lot of people don´t realize that the Cars For Sale classifieds on the HCCA site allows pre-WWII antique cars to be listed, not just pre-1916 vehicles.

photo from barnfinds.com

Peerless-3-630x394.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 5:27 PM, jeff_a said:

The 1920 4-Door, 4-Passenger Roadster that was in the Grant Quam Collection, Ames, IA is for sale by the family. One of four cars left from the 52 he had, most selling at a big auction 9/26/15. Listed as sold in the auction results, it must not have gone through.  Anyone interested, please call  John Quam at (650) Two Nine Six-9252.

Well, this great dual exhaust, 4-barrel carburetor, V-8 Peerless, almost a dictionary entry for HPOF Class, is listed on the Hemmings Motor News which just came out, February edition. For sale in the high 5 figures by someone in OR. Coincidentally, the same seller has another ex-Quam Collection car listed on the same page, the restored 1936 Pierce-Arrow Coupe.

• 2 months later...

Anthony Cartonio, Peerless Collector Ralph Cartonio's son, emailed me today saying he would like to sell the 1925 Peerless Mod. 6-72 5-Passenger Touring Phaeton. This was stored indoors from 1960 to 2011 when Eugene Swantz of San Diego owned it. When Ralph bought it, It came with a rebuilt Peerless Permanent Top, good side curtains, 2 front fenders, and a spare engine. The engine is the 289 c.i.d. Peerless Superb Six, matching the horsepower of the Peerless Equipoised Eight(both with aluminum crankcases).

He hasn't sent me a photo or an asking price, but Anthony says he is open for offers on this very complete car.

Anthony Cartonio lives in southeast Maine

PH: #(207) 776-1610

E: anthonycart58@gmail.com

I don't think the average person can conjure up an image of what this car might look like....so went to autolit.com and found a similar car. Pictured is a 1925 8-67 Peerless 7-Pass. Touring Phaeton(prints available from Walter at Autolit for $7.99):

1925 Peerless Eight Touring Sedan Factory Photo

In my opinion, the one for sale in Maine would have these lines, but smaller wheels, 126" wheelbase instead of 128", and different headlights. Baseball legend Walter "Big Train" Johnson had a Peerless just like this one. There's a photo you can find online of him arriving in it to pitch the first game of the 1924 World Series in Pittsburgh.

1927 Peerless Six 5 Passenger Phaeton ORIGINAL Factory Photo

This original photograph(available from autolit.com for $37.99) is more like the Peerless for sale in Maine. I believe it is a Model 6-72 5-Pass. Touring Phaeton. Both are good examples of the Permanent Top. These had cloth exteriors, were designed to have a sleek look, and did not retract. The 6-72 was a 1925 model made through 1926 and 1927. The line of cars starting with the 6-70 in early 1924, the 6-72, the 6-90(1927), and the 6-91(1928-29) all had the same 289 engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard from Mark Gregory here on the forums that there will be an estate auction of Lloyd Young's 26 1905-1982 antique cars August 10/11, 2018. Lloyd and Shirley lived in Canal Winchester, Ohio, near Columbus.

img-7157_1.jpgfrom the Mike Clum Auctions, Inc. websitehttp://www.clumauctions.com/

An interesting list of autos includes a 1920 Peerless Model 56 V-8 4-Pass. Roadster*, a 1921 Templar, a 1922 Marmon, a 1922 Pierce-Arrow, a 1927 Packard, a 1927 REO, a 1920 Buick, a 1905 Cadillac, and 1924 and 1926 Elcars. The Peerless is listed wrongly as a 1926, and is a restored version of the original one currently for sale on Hemmings Motor News for 89 grand(ex-Grant Quam of Ames, Iowa car). Same exact model, year, and body style: one's HPOF, one's restored. This blue Peerless in OH is the one that took 1st at the Gilmore Gathering Pierce-Arrow Society/Peerless Motor Car Club meet in MI back in 2013.

*these are sometimes called Cloverleafs

• 3 weeks later...

I was just out  to see Lloyd in early november and he showed me his cars. Beautiful. The Peerless and Templar were stunning. It will be some auction. Some other interesting cars were Monroe, Elcar, 1905 Cadillac,  Baker electric Franklin,  We lost a great guy in the old car hobby.

• 3 months later...

Exactly, Mal. Fantastic car. The one I was joking with you about earlier whether I should load it or the '37 Packard at the same auction in a container for you. There was one almost exactly like this for sale in Montana several of us were discussing on the AACA Forums between 2006 -2011...but it was in really bad shape...the difference is this one is an early 1925 instead of a 1924(as most of the Model 6-70 Peerlesses were), and it looks like it's in great shape.

Now it turns out, there are 3 known Peerless Model Six-70s out of 2,786 built. Peerless built the engine(Cadillac designed it), and the 6-70 was the first of 4 models to use the motor from 1924-1929. 289 Cu. In. Collins Six engine, 70 or 80 h.p.

Jeff,

Thanks for the offer on the Packard. ? Love to have it, but I'm only equipped to handle one at a time.

Concerning this Peerless, I'm guesing it ain't a factory colour. The owner, or his wife, must have like it though when it was restored.

• 2 weeks later...

On August 1st , a 1927 Peerless 6-80 was put up for sale in Grass Valley, California for $3,950. It's on Craigslist Phoenix, not an auction.

Looks pretty complete --- needs work. Louis Chevrolet had a Peerless identical to this, you know!

These have Continental flathead sixes, 230 Cu. In./63 h.p.

1Thanks to Mike in Washington for spotting this!

Edited by jeff_a
corrected engine size & horsepower (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[In reference to a  3/21/2018 post of mine about a 1923 Peerless Mod. 66 Dual Windshield Phaeton for sale in Maine, 12 posts up]

Unrestored. The previous owner stored it 50 years, but I believe it had a small problem like missing teeth on the flywheel...so he didn't drive it. 

update: I came across my notes from talking to Eugene on the phone 10 years ago. When he had it for sale, he said it had been partially restored 20 or 30 years earlier. Explaining, I think, the intact fabric & metal framework top(it may have even had side curtains). It came with spare front fenders, radiator, and engine. Ralph sent me a poor photo of it, since misplaced, but the odd thing about it is that it was the same wild green/turquoise in the '25 Peerless 6-70 photo 8 posts up. 

• 1 month later...

I just received an email this morning about a 1924 Peerless Six-70 Touring Phaeton for sale. It's unique. It's the Peerless Pullman Phaeton which was discussed on the AACA Forums going back to 2006. It started out in Los Angeles, then it was in Montana, where it broke down on the side of the road and spent 70 years out on a ranch near Square Butte. It's now in Texas. Bill Thomas the owner has a price of $2,850 on it. His email is lestalk7@aol.com

I'll try to post a photo of what a car like this may have looked like in the original Collins Blue or Ohio Blue colors. It may have spent 70 years outside, so the condition would be #6 or #5-, but it's still an important car in my opinion.

• It's the only known six-cylinder 1924 Peerless
  • It has a low serial number for the 2,786-vehicle run of 1924 & 1925 Model 6-70 cars built
  • It has the 289 Cu. In. Collins 6 or Superb Six engine(same h.p. or greater than the Peerless V-8)
  • Engine design came out of the Cadillac Engineering Dept.
  • Only known Peerless with Pullman body
  • 3 known surviving 6-70s: 2 Five-Passenger Touring Phaetons & 1 Five-Passenger Sedan
  • Not an overgrown Model T, as one person quipped: these were $2,285 cars, which is 8 Model Ts
  • "It would take a complete restoration, but it is fairly complete, especially the engine."

Below is a photo of the car in Montana in 2009post-49853-143142992503_thumb.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae4a6f8152bd41fcdf142f44f5e9d98c.jpegwv0080b.jpgpart of a sales brochure F/S on autolit.com

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, On The Riviera said:

I would not mind having this car but am afraid of what the asking price might be.  As I recall it was an unrestored car. 

I did reach out to Ralph's son.  I need to give him a call. I asked for a price, to avoid hard feelings and a non good use of time, but was not successful in getting a price in the email response.  

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, jeff_a said:

I just received an email this morning about a 1924 Peerless Six-70 Touring Phaeton for sale. It's unique. It's the Peerless Pullman Phaeton which was discussed on the AACA Forums going back to 2006. It started out in Los Angeles, then it was in Montana, where it broke down on the side of the road and spent 70 years out on a ranch near Square Butte. It's now in Texas. Bill Thomas the owner has a price of $2,850 on it. His email is lestalk7@aol.com

I'll try to post a photo of what a car like this may have looked like in the original Collins Blue or Ohio Blue colors. It may have spent 70 years outside, so the condition would be #6 or #5-, but it's still an important car in my opinion.

• It's the only known six-cylinder 1924 Peerless
  • It has a low serial number for the 2,786-vehicle run of 1924 & 1925 Model 6-70 cars built
  • It has the 289 Cu. In. Collins 6 or Superb Six engine(same h.p. or greater than the Peerless V-8)
  • Engine design came out of the Cadillac Engineering Dept.
  • Only known Peerless with Pullman body
  • 3 known surviving 6-70s: 2 Five-Passenger Touring Phaetons & 1 Five-Passenger Sedan
  • Not an overgrown Model T, as one person quipped: these were $2,285 cars, which is 8 Model Ts
  • "It would take a complete restoration, but it is fairly complete, especially the engine."

Below is a photo of the car in Montana in 2009post-49853-143142992503_thumb.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae4a6f8152bd41fcdf142f44f5e9d98c.jpegwv0080b.jpgpart of a sales brochure F/S on autolit.com

Nice to know it has surfaced and at a fair price.    Thanks for posting.  

• 3 weeks later...

Rare and unusual.  Makes me wonder what the provenance is on it.  Did you know about this one previously in your list? 

I can't say it's a particularly attractive car, but it did catch my eye that they tried to make it the same height as an open car from that era. 

I suppose it has one of those over the top cubic inch displacement 4 cylinders.