1963 Riviera questions

Guest JouniK

Hello all!

I´m a new Riviera owner from Finland.

Heres the Rivi when it arrived:

IMG_18361.jpg

I´m planning on fixing only the necessary and then just drive, no off the frame resto here :D

So now the questions:

1. The car needs new weatherstripping, is this worth the money?

Buick Riviera Weatherstrip Special (Weatherstripping Seals) 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 #6365K

Or maybe I should look elsewhere?

2. The flasher switch is busted, the plastic shell has cracked, can I find a new somewhere?

3. I haven´t found the windshield washer pump/fluid container, where are they located?

4.Can someone translate this for me?

IMG_1934.jpg

Thank You!

Jouni K

Congratulations on our new car. And welcome to the world of classic Rivieras.

I'll start at the back:

63-4747 = 1963 Buick Rivierqa

06B = 2nd week of June

35638 = production number out of 40,000

718 J2 = 718 blue leather and vinyl, J2=bucket seats

FF = Marlin blue (darker than what's presently on the car)*

D = radio (It doesn't say which radio, just that the body was prepped for a radio)

I6 = Tinted glass (all around)

N2 - Air Conditioning

U7 = Power windows (not vents)

* link to 1963 Buick paint codes 1963 Buick Paint Charts and Codes

Only codes for the Fisher Body plant are on this plate. Other options such as four note horns, cornering lights, cruise control, are not listed. They could be added without needed body mods.

I can see that your car has the top option for wheel covers - order code M-9 = cast aluminum wheel covers with stainless knock offs.

DO NOT under any circumstances try to pry the aluminum cover off. It will break.

These are two piece items. Pry the spinner off, remove the lug nuts (caution - the driver's side lugs are left hand threads), then lay the tire on its face and remove the four nuts that hold the cast cover in place.

The wiper motor and washer pump are between the inner and outer fenders on the driver's side. :eek: Some folks have been able to prop open the hood (or remove it) and remove the driver's side hood hinge. It's blind but it can be reached from the access place behind where the hinge was.

1963 Rivieras did not come from the factory with a flasher. Perhaps you can post a picture.

This is only my opinion, but you get what you pay for when it comes to moldings. Hopefully someone who has experience will chime in here.

Ed

Thanks Ed!

Sorry, by the flasher I ment the turn signal switch :o

Here it is:

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

Yes the original Marlin Blue is visible here and there under the $10(?) paint job :D:D But I like the current color thou..

I´ll have to dig up the washer pump and check out why it´s not working.

Thanks again!

Jouni

Guest 1963 Riviera

HI JOUNI,

I also have just taken possession of my first (63) Rivi, so Congratulations and welcome from me.

I Guess between us both we will be keeping everybody here interested and amused with our enquiries

Good Luck.

Nick

Teal Mist with Black Leather and CHICK MAGNET :P

When getting a turn signal switch, you need to specify if you have a straight sterring column or a tilt column.

New switches are a bit hard to find but not impossible. A good used one is a good way to go.

It has a tilt column. Any advice where to start looking for a new switch?

The rubber seals that Weatherstripspecial.com offers are made my Metro. What I have read from the net, they should be ok quality, but if anyone has any other info.

And Nick, congratulations to you too :D

Jouni

Guest Kingoftheroad
It has a tilt column. Any advice where to start looking for a new switch?

The rubber seals that Weatherstripspecial.com offers are made my Metro. What I have read from the net, they should be ok quality, but if anyone has any other info.

And Nick, congratulations to you too :D

Jouni

I bought a used turn signal switch from an ROA Member and it works great !

You can buy weather stripping for your Riv at any number of places. Again, you can buy from advertisings in the ROA Riview which have many ads selling weather stripping for our Rivs.

Although, I don't know how hard it will be for you to access parts with you being in Finland..

Good Luck & Congrats on the purchase of your 64 Riv.

I bought a used turn signal switch from an ROA Member and it works great !

Although, I don't know how hard it will be for you to access parts with you being in Finland..

Good Luck & Congrats on the purchase of your 63 Riv.

Thanks!

The problem with the weatherstripping is the shipping.. If I get them all from the same place, the shipping is much cheaper.

There are companys here in Finland who sell them, but is cheaper and faster for me to buy them straight from the USA.

But where should I get them, is there some manufacturer which I should avoid? I don´t want to modify them to get them to fit or change them next summer because of the poor quality.

Happy New Year!!

Jouni

I've heard "Rubber the Right Way" is a good source, but have no personal experience with them as of yet. I'm not to the stage of ordering rubber for my cars yet.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thanks!

The problem with the weatherstripping is the shipping.. If I get them all from the same place, the shipping is much cheaper.

There are companys here in Finland who sell them, but is cheaper and faster for me to buy them straight from the USA.

But where should I get them, is there some manufacturer which I should avoid? I don´t want to modify them to get them to fit or change them next summer because of the poor quality.

Happy New Year!!

Jouni

I'd recommend Classic Buick parts, high quality and exceptional value! Classic Buick parts, high quality and exceptional value!....

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thanks!

Happy New Year!!

Jouni

I'd recommend Classic Buick parts, high quality and exceptional value! Classic Buick parts, high quality and exceptional value!....

Happy New Year to you too !!

Guest JouniK

I got my hands on the washer pump / viper motor today. If I undestood correctly, the washer pump works all the time (when the viper motor spins) and pushing the button in the dash activates a relay ---> washer fluid squirts. Is this correct?

I also tried to fix the brake lights, everything seems to be ok, but still no brake lights. Then I remembered that I removed the turn signal switch.

And how about the antenna? There is a place for antenna switch in the dash but there is no switch. The antenna was broken so I took it off, it wasn´t a power antenna. So has someone replaced the power antenna with a regular antenna in the past, or is the power antenna an option (and there is just a hole in the dash if there´s no p/a)?

The pipes in the air condition have been "open" (not plugged) after someone removed the condenser. Does this harm the a/c components, or is there a chance I can get the a/c to work by just getting a new condenser and putting in the new refrigerant? I don´t know why the condenser was removed, but otherwise the systems seems complete.

Thanks again!

Jouni

Edited by JouniK (see edit history)

Guest 1963 Riviera

HI JOUNI,

Could you let us know what you decided to do about the WEATHERSTRIP

What did you replace ?

Who did you purchase from ?

I am about to do the same and would be very interested in your progress

Thank You

Nick

Guest JouniK
HI JOUNI,

Could you let us know what you decided to do about the WEATHERSTRIP

What did you replace ?

Who did you purchase from ?

I am about to do the same and would be very interested in your progress

Thank You

Nick

Hi Nick!

I ordered the kit from Weatherstripspecial.com. I haven´t recived it yet but a local Riviera owner told me it is good quality. But I´ll give You a report asap as I get them installed.

I repaired the turn signal switch, I´ll just have to put it back in its place. Then I can check the brake lights.

I also ordered new shocks (KYB front, Monroe back) , and front end kit (from PST).

Also new exhaust pipes should be on their way here. It was a cheap set, so I´m pretty sure it needs some adjusting ;) But it was still cheaper than starting from scratch.

I called a local shop that fixes A/C, they said that if theres no salt water in the system it should be fine. I jsut need a condenser.

Jouni

I got something done today. Now the turn signals work, windshield washer works, brake lights work;)

I removed the rear shocks, and started to take the front suspension apart.

I noticed that the springs are heated to get the car low. How much does this effect on the handling? I know its not good, but I was thinking about installing air suspension next winter, so I need to manage one summer with those springs if possible.

BTW its nice to work on a california car, all the bolts come loose easy. No rusted bolts because of the salted roads..

J

• 5 weeks later...

I got the shipment with some parts last week. I got KYB shocks front, Monroe back, PST super front end kit (missing the swaybar bushings :( ), brake hoses (only 2, needed 3 :( ) and wheel nuts (got only 21 left hand thread, order 15 left , 5 right :( ) from RockAuto, weatherstrip kit from weatherstripspecial (got only the rubber, not the felt, they did not have the complete set yet :( )

+ some minor stuff.

So I got about 95% right :D. The weatherstriping is made by Metro, looks ok, and fits nicely so far (not sure about the trunk lid seal, the original was so bad I didn´t even get the profile).

I already installed the shocks, sway bar end links, 1 brake hose, I greased the old ball joints (they felt tight, and looked ok).

Jouni

Guest bigoldv8

Sounds like you are making good progress.

Regarding the springs, it's going to be a personal question really. Lots of people ride on heated springs. As long as the alignment is adjusted to account for it, the tire wear will be OK. The ride quality will suffer but you may be able to live with it. Best suggestion if you don't want to spend $$ on springs now is to try it for a while and see if it is acceptable and change it quicker if not. It causes a lower center of gravity and may corner better, but if the springs are soft that will be negated by more roll, I believe. You may be able to find some used stock front springs from another owner locally to use until you switch to the air ride setup. With the heated springs you may also find that you bottom out on things easier, so go slow over bumps, railroad tracks, etc.

• 1 year later...
I got something done today. Now the turn signals work, windshield washer works, brake lights work;)

I removed the rear shocks, and started to take the front suspension apart.

I noticed that the springs are heated to get the car low. How much does this effect on the handling? I know its not good, but I was thinking about installing air suspension next winter, so I need to manage one summer with those springs if possible.

BTW its nice to work on a california car, all the bolts come loose easy. No rusted bolts because of the salted roads..

J

Just came across your post today after a search on 'Windshield Washer Motor' since mine just stopped working. When I hit the washer button on the dash the fluid no longer squirts out. How did you fix yours? Anything I should look for first or a checklist?

Kevin,

I spent more time with my washer pump than I care to admit...

Is it an electrical or mechanical problem? Do you hear the pump going or not when you push the button?

If you hear the pump going... check for blocked lines or nozzels, check for a cracked pump valve, or check for a ripped bellows. I ended up replacing my bellows, valve and lines.

If you don't hear the pump moving... Is the wiper motor working or not? The wiper motor turns the pump. it takes an electrical circuit to trigger the pump to catch the motor.

On mine, some poor slug though jabbing a knife at the electrical lines to the pump would somehow make it work better. All he accomplished was making a mess of the wires that I had to fix. The clear problem was that the bellows was split.

Edited by CheezeMan (see edit history)

Guest JouniK
Just came across your post today after a search on 'Windshield Washer Motor' since mine just stopped working. When I hit the washer button on the dash the fluid no longer squirts out. How did you fix yours? Anything I should look for first or a checklist?

The only thing missing from my pump was the fluid ;) So I had to do nothing exept find a fluid container.

J