1921 Dodge fuel system

Guest tdhuff

It's my first time on the forum and my first encounter with a 1921 Dodge fuel system. I'm told the car ran fine many years ago with an electric fuel pump installed on the firewall of the vehicle. The car is being restored and the first mechanic said the electric fuel pump was bad. It was replaced but now the restoration shop says they can't get the car started, no fuel to the carb. They're telling me we need a vacuum tank which is missing from the engine.

Anyone have advice on what we do or don't need to get this old Dodge humming again ?

Thanks,

tdhuff

I always use the orginal type vacuum tank (fuel pump) but see no reason why it should not get fuel with an electric pump. Usual problem with an electric pump is too much fuel. The carbs are not designed for very much pressure. Have them simply set some sort of temporary fuel can or tank on the cowl and gravity feed the carb. I use a plastic motorcycle tank for such testing. If continuing to use an electric pump you will also need a pressure regulator set to a pound or so to keep it from flooding. Find an original vaccuum fuel tank and you will be better off. BTW, electric pumps are designed to push fuel, not suck it, so mount them as close to the gas tank as possible.

dwollam,

Thanks for the information. We actually relocated the elec. pump back close to the tank during our recent repairs but when the engine last ran many years ago someone had installed the pump on the firewall. We are going to try your temporary gravity method to see if that works. I'm also going to begin my search for an original vacuum tank and put the set up back the way the factory built it.

Any suggestions on where to locate a tank ?

Thanks again, Happy New Year !

Guest Freddy boy

I'm new to this as well... but this summer I have worked on the fuel system for my recently acquired 1921 Dodge. With an electric fuel pump and a regulator my car is running just fine. I wasn't able to get the Vacuum tank that I have to work properly. The electric pump is located at the back, close to the fuel tank also.

If you're able to get an original Vacuum tank that works well... I'd love to hear about it! If possible, I'd prefer to restore the car to its original state.

Cheers,

It's my first time on the forum and my first encounter with a 1921 Dodge fuel system. I'm told the car ran fine many years ago with an electric fuel pump installed on the firewall of the vehicle. The car is being restored and the first mechanic said the electric fuel pump was bad. It was replaced but now the restoration shop says they can't get the car started, no fuel to the carb. They're telling me we need a vacuum tank which is missing from the engine.

Anyone have advice on what we do or don't need to get this old Dodge humming again ?

Thanks,

tdhuff

Vacuum tanks really are not that complicted, although they sure look like it! Out west they seem to be plentiful. There are several different sizes, larger ones seem to work better, or at least last longer going up very long hills. ROMAR Home Page or www.myersearlydodge.com both rebuild and/or sell vacuum tanks and sell parts. Common ailments are leaky vacuum fittings, plugged inlet screen, rusted inner cans, broken springs, leaky cork gasket, and the seat for the needle falling out of place in the potmetal top and cocking sideways.

As Jason said, they are on EBAY quite often. All the 4cyl DB's used the Stewart tanks as far as I know.