Sign in to follow this  
starfireelvis

Wanted: '62 Olds D88/S88 Wagon rear bumper

OK, the '62 Olds Dynamic 88 wagon is ready to come home any day now; one of the final things I was going to have done was to put on what I was told was a '61 Olds full-size wagon rear bumper; alas, although the '61-'62 Olds full-size wagons are very similar in appearance; apparently, there is enough of a difference where the main bumper does not fit onto the very nice upper part of the bumper I picked up at Fall Hershey back in October, which I am told is correct, but apparently only for a '62 Fiesta wagon.

So, I am in need of a decent to nice '62 Olds Fiesta Wagon (lower, or main) rear bumper, which of course is different from the regular D88/S88/98/Starfire rear bumper for that year. And, I guess I have for sale a '61 Olds Fiesta wagon bumper (main part), unless it is for a '61 Starfire (from what I understand, the lower valance on the other '61 models is not chrome).

Feel free to correct me if I am in error on anything above; all suggestions on where to locate the '62 wagon bumper are appreciated, or even if all else fails, a good place to get the one I currently do have on the wagon re-chromed...

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I have a January 65 edition Chassis Parts Book and the bumper stuff part #s are in there. The cars were still contemporary at that time.

Grp 7.831.

1961 SW except F85, bar, rear lower (paint) 580357

1961 & 1962 88, S88 SW, bar, rear upper, 580294

1962 SW except F85, bar, rear lower 583521

Grp 7.828

1961 exc F85, 1962 88, S88 SW, guard, RH outer rear (1) 579900

1961 exc F85, 1962 88, S88 SW, guard, LH outer rear (1) 579901

1961 exc F85, 1962 88, S88 SW, guard, inner rear (2) 579874

So looks like the 61-62 big wagons use the same bumper components except the valance panel where 61 backup lamps would be. There is also an exploded drawing showing 1961 rear bumper assembly except F85 (typical of 1962 88, S88 SW).

Can't fathom why your lower bar won't attach, unless you have some non-wagon components mixed in.

As an interesting aside, the parts book details differences in 1959 rear bumpers with factory installed backup lamps vs dealer installed backup lamps. Seems 1959 factory installations have a large U-shaped backup lamp. Cars without factory-installed backup lamps that used an ornament, or with dealer-installed lamps used a bumper with a round opening for the lamp. Round lamp is same as 1960.

Probably better not to even wonder why.

Yes, it is the part of the bumper where the rear back-up lights are on the '61 that is not fitting together, according to what I understand from my mechanic, and if I gather from your detailed information correctly (must admit I have had a couple of adult beverages at this point in the evening!), that this is the piece that would be different.

I may well have a lead on a '62 Fiesta rear bumper; not holding my breath on this yet, but I have a gentleman from out in California calling me back tomorrow to confirm what he may have.

Thanks for going to the effort Glenn; hope you had a great Christmas and wishing a wonderful New Year for you as well...

OK, have determined the bumper I have must be for a '61 Starfire; it has a peak in the center (how I missed that??) I do have a nice new upper back bumper, just need to find a wagon bumper now...

Mike,

We talked about this at fall Hershey. If I remember, we decided that:

'61 wagon lower bumpers (with the backup lights) were painted, as were the other '61 models, except the Starfire.

'62 wagon lower bumpers (without the backup lights) were chrome (to make them look like the bumpers on the other '62 models?).

The existing bumper you have is chrome with backup lights. That lead us to believe that it was from a '61 Starfire.

I can't remember what the lower bumper was like that was with the upper bumper you bought. It was chrome. It must have had backup lights, or you would have bought it, too. Question is - was it also a Starfire bumper, or was it a '61 wagon bumper that the guy had chromed?

Aha, so it was you that I had talked with--it's coming back to me now. Mind's the first thing to go...or the second...

Yes, I know we talked about the "valance" being painted on all the '61s except the Starfire, guess I was just hoping things would work out with what I had? I KNOW that there coudn't have been the '62 wagon bumper there, or else I would have figured out a way to $$ for it and take it home, too. The upper part that you had spotted was indeed valuable, and much needed.

Will let you know how the lead I have from out west pan out...

Starfireelvis, I too have a 62 Fiesta Super 88! Would love to see some photos of yours. I'm dialing in my interior and looking for a pair of the elusive clear backup lenses. Been looking for 5 years! You can see mine @ beachcitywagonmasters.com. search Olds & mine is the white one with the surfboard. Let me know what you think?

Checked it out, so you have a "big white whale", too! (that's what I call mine)

Found a website you may enjoy, www.stationwagonforums.com

I have a couple of threads on there that have pics of when I got the wagon back home early this year after having the engine and transmission rebuilt, and another thread that is highlighting some of the work my good friend Jim has been doing cosmetically to the wagon the last several weeks or so.

Here are those threads, respectively (I believe you will have to register for the website, which is a free process); I am sure you will thank me later, that's how much you should enjoy it.

Here's my 1962 Olds Dynamic 88 Fiesta Station Wagon - Station Wagon Forums

Latest on the '62 Olds Dynamic 88 wagon - Station Wagon Forums

And, doggone it, someone on eBay up through about a day ago had a pair of NOS back-up lenses for $75 (I found mine separately for a combined price of about $45, but that was years ago; unlike the taillight lenses, the back-ups are interchangeable for each and either side).

Fortunately, there's another NOS one on there for $18 right now; here's that link:

1962 OLDSMOBILE OLDS RIGHT PARK LIGHT LENS GENUINE GUIDE NOS 62 | eBay

I have a couple of badly crazed ones that were originally on the wagon, but may have a decent used one; PM me so that if I do, maybe we can work out something similar in price.

Good luck!

Mike

Here's a couple to tie you over...

It seems that if I ever see one of these Wagons they are almost always White. What's with the White was that the most popular color? The one in the thumbnails sure is a Beauty!!! :):)

Yes, Impala Jim has made the same observation about white being the predominant color of these '62 Olds wagons. Gotta admit I've noticed, too.

Other than white being a universal-type color as far as matching up with all available interiors, and being a cheaper color to produce, maybe it is the utilitarian nature of the wagons that lent itself to many just being painted white. Or, maybe not...

Yes, Impala Jim has made the same observation about white being the predominant color of these '62 Olds wagons. Gotta admit I've noticed, too.

Other than white being a universal-type color as far as matching up with all available interiors, and being a cheaper color to produce, maybe it is the utilitarian nature of the wagons that lent itself to many just being painted white. Or, maybe not...

I had a friend restore a Super "88" Fiesta, with Air, windows, seats, power tailgate window, 9 passenger, cruise, and power antennae, and made it into a Resto Starfire, with buckets, console, and made up all the aluminum and Stainless trim kept it for a short while and sold it for about $42,000.00. I heard lately it's been purchased by someone in Kansas. Great lookin' Wgn. Steve Westlake wasn't there to assist him with it either!!! :cool:

I have seen that wagon; quite cleverly done! While I do tip the cap to the owner/restorer for their effort, I think if the car had the JasWest touch that Steve would have provided, it would have been even a notch higher!

That car is featured in a book I picked up at Auburn, (IN) last Labor Day at the ACD Museum. Don't have the title of it off the top of my head, but it is a nice one to flip through!

Should say I've seen pictures of it--to clarify, haven't (yet) seen it in person, but would love to...

Being the lover of '62 Starfire's that you are I know you would just love what's gone into building that Wgn. Great amount of effort to incorporate all of the Starfire's concept....:cool: