1932 Buick Rear Bumper Caps

gehlhaar

post-64276-143138782345_thumb.jpg

There was a vendor at Hershey that had reproduction castings of these end caps. As I recall they were pricey $300 each ?? as I recall. I have been searching for the vendor, but I have misplaced their business card. I think The "33 Buick Registry" knows the supplier.

I hope the attached photo helps.

I plan on making my own set from sheet metal as the original were made. I'm not ready to tackle that project yet. I have one rusty example that John Scheib gave me many years ago.

Bob

Sandy,

If you can come up with a sample, in any condition, I can replicate them as an investment casting in mild steel, and then they would have to be polished and plated.

If there is there a "market", could you recoup your investment ?

Mike in Colorado

Guest outlaw car man

One of the 32 guys might think about this, do a group deal or something.

For me and my stock 33 90s, there are only two of us, me & the guy in the mirror.

Sandy

Sandy,

If you can come up with a sample, in any condition, I can replicate them as an investment casting in mild steel, and then they would have to be polished and plated.

If there is there a "market", could you recoup your investment ?

Mike in Colorado

One of the 32 guys might think about this, do a group deal or something.

For me and my stock 33 90s, there are only two of us, me & the guy in the mirror.

Sandy

You mean that these caps are only common to the 32-33 cars ?

Do you need 2 sets ?

This is kind of like my fuitless search for a "clutch equalizer". I'm going to end up making one this spring, "cause the 80-90 series is "different".

Mike

Mike - I need one set (that's a pair, right and left) and don't even care if they are chromed or not. A set of plain metal castings would be just fine. Even some detailed pics of what they must look like both from front and back side.

Bob Engle posted pic's above. Are these correct for your car ?

Sandy may need two sets, so we're now @ 3 sets and counting.

All I need to borrow is a sample part to copy LH or RH does not matter IF they are mirror images.

Mike in Colorado

Mike in Colorado - Yes, Bob Engle also mentioned he has an old one rusty example and he needs a set made. Wonder if he would share the old one with you to make some new ones.

I want one set for sure. I am sure that what he has is correct for mine also because we are both 32 Buicks. Thanks Gert

Guest outlaw car man

No, not for 1933, just the 32 guys or ?? But not 1933.

Nothing seems to be common for 1933, a few things, but not much.

You mean that these caps are only common to the 32-33 cars ?

Do you need 2 sets ?

This is kind of like my fuitless search for a "clutch equalizer". I'm going to end up making one this spring, "cause the 80-90 series is "different".

Mike

According to the parts manual, the 1932 bumpers were produced by Wolverine Bumper Company. They are unique to 1932 and there are 3 sizes, 50 series, 60 series and 80/90 series. The caps are only for the split bumpers with rear tire mounts.

I would be willing to share my rusty part. an opposite hand would ned to be produced to make a spare. Rather than mild steel, would brass be better? it is polishes and saves on step in the plating process.

Production would be complicatedas the original stamped steel pieces had an internal bracket spot welded to the stamped steel and there was a carriage bolt with a flat head and a square shank just under the head. the spot welded bracket had a square hole for the bolt. Bolt size was 7/16" X 14 TPI.

To cast the piece you would need a split bumper to make a pattern for the bracket inner portion. I suspect it would be better to drill and tap for a retaining bolt rather than having the bolt cast into the piece.

By the way, most cars that I have seen are missing theses parts.

Let me know how you may want to proceed.

Bob

post-64276-143138783581_thumb.jpg

post-64276-143138783586_thumb.jpg

post-64276-14313878359_thumb.jpg

post-64276-143138783595_thumb.jpg

post-64276-1431387836_thumb.jpg

post-64276-143138783604_thumb.jpg

post-64276-143138783608_thumb.jpg

post-64276-143138783612_thumb.jpg

Bob,

It would not be difficult to cast the "shell" and add a "boss" to the inside in place of the sheet metal bridge that held the bolt. We could tap the "boss" and still use a 7/16-14 bolt going the other way, or thread a stud into the boss, and still use a nut on the outside, which would look original.

My foundry can cast wall thicknesses in mild steel down to .060" on a part like this using the "lost wax" process.

If we use the stereo lith process, the surface would come out looking like a very mild corduroy which would require some heavy duty buffing, and parts would be expensive, but if we made a wax injection tool the surface would come out @ 125 RMS (similar to a formica counter top). Cast mild steel is very plateable (?) and I do have a source for low cost tooling. You would then have a source for relatively low cost parts, dependent of course on the volumes produced per release. Of course a separate tool would be required for each side, but since they are mirror images, that is not an issue.

Do you know what kind of market is out there ? Sandy's '33/90's are apparently different, so he's out, and he's in desperate need of his own version. Here comes two more tools...maybe...

Mike in Colorado

I think I am correct, and someone mentioned above, there are 4 series Buicks for '32 and I think there are three different size bumpers, even though they look the same, so there would need to be a form for each size. But, I think most all of the larger series have sidemounts and thus little need for caps for the larger cars. The need would seem to be mostly 50 series with some 60s. That is my opinion, bt I may be wrong. Mac Blair can probably provide some idea of how many with reear spares or either "on the road" or under restoration.

John

John

Guest outlaw car man

Mike,

My cars are complete and both carry sidemounts, but thanks for thinking of us.

Photo shows the 1933 bumpers on my 90s.

Sandy

Sandy's '33/90's are apparently different, so he's out, and he's in desperate need of his own version. Here comes two more tools...maybe...

Mike in Colorado

post-54015-143138785314_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138785325_thumb.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, all 1932 cars came with rear tire mounts. The 90L cars may have been standard with sidemounts. Side mounts were optional on all cars. it was a fairly expensive option for the depression era.

Let's make some assumptions and see if we can guess at the market for these parts. The parts would sell in pairs. Most of the demand would be for the 50 series (which is what my current part is for) There were 25,698 50 series cars produced. Assume 10% with side mounts: about 23,000 cars with rear mount split bumpers. Assume 5% survived to the antique market: 1,156 potential buyers. Assume 10% are reachable for purchase of the parts: 115 sets would be the optimum market. To date we know of two interested parties. No others have responded on the forum with interest.

We could try contacting Bob's Automobilia and Mac Blair to see if they would want some for stock catalog sales ( they would want a discounted price for markup)

If the price is right, I would be willing to fund a small amount, but I would not want sales to competing sellers as I would like to recoup my costs. I would not do this as a for profit enterprise, just to recover my costs.

From my experience, It will cost about $120 a pair for show quality plating.

Could you provide fixed cost to produce the patterns and then the variable costs to produce 10, 25 and 50 pairs? If you chose, you can contact me in a private message as we try to work out the costs and the process to get it done. If we can get the costs down to a reasonable amount, I will invest the time in posting in the BCA, and AACA magazines for potential buyers.

Who knows? we may be able to make this work!

Bob

Guest daydreamer1950

hi i make these in bronze and have them chromed . they are correct copys . 1933 buick registry . paul 1 231 357 3009 . we make over 125 parts for the 1932- 1935 buicks and also one offs also .

Guest daydreamer1950

i make these in bronze and have them chromed . they are correct copys . they fit 60 - 90 series . 1933 buick registry . i make over 125 parts for 1932 - 1935 buicks and also one offs of other parts.

hi i make these in bronze and have them chromed . they are correct copys . 1933 buick registry . paul 1 231 357 3009 . we make over 125 parts for the 1932- 1935 buicks and also one offs also .

Then you say:

You make these parts that fit 1932, 60/90 models but what about the 1932 50 series models that's we are looking for?

Guest daydreamer1950

i have the bumper caps . they will fit all series . i just tried one on my 32 56 c and they fit perfect . paul 1 231 357 3009

i have the bumper caps . they will fit all series . i just tried one on my 32 56 c and they fit perfect . paul 1 231 357 3009

I have a 1932 Buick 57S and need a pair of rear bumper end caps that are mounted where the bumper is cut near the spare tire. Could you please post a picture and then let me know what your are asking for them. I am definitely interested if they will fit.

Thanks -

I have my car in a bag for the winter, otherwise i could measure the vertical height of the bumper of the 50 series, and then have someone measure a 60 and larger series. the bumpers all have the same profile, and would be longer, but perhaps the height may or may not be the same. Can someone measure the height of both, as there seems some doubt of daydreamer1950's claim that they fit all series?

I think I can find someone to make the 50 series if that is needed.

John