Sign in to follow this  
Tommy Mallory

1931 Pontiac

I am trying to start a 1931 Pontiac that has been sitting for twenty or so years. I am not getting any spark. Is there a way to test the coil? Is is possible to bypass the coil on the car and put another 6V coil in line to test with? The 31 coil has the key switch in it that turns thing on. Any ideas? Thanks.

Duct tape a new 6 volt coil to the left radiator support rod. Run a wire from the terminal on the top of the starter to the + terminal on the coil. Run a wire from the 1 terminal on the coil to the condenser wire/points insulator on the outside of the distriburator. Pull the wire from the center of your old coil out through the firewall and plug it into the new coil. Voila there you are. If you do not have a spark now you have some other problem. Remember though that there is no switch in the ignition circuit so you have to disconnect the wire from the starter connection.

Up here in Canada NAPA has them in stock all the time.

Points are DR-1819, cap is DR-402, rotor is DR-157 and condenser is DR-24.

Any auto parts store should be able to convert these numbers to their supplier.

Also I only use NGK spark plugs AB6, I drive about a thousand miles a month and find that these last me two years. AC or Champion only last less than one year. If you can't find NKG Bosch are a very good second choice.

It is real funny are much easier it is to get ignition parts today than it was 52 years ago. When I started driving my Pontiac I had to order everything now I can go down to the local store and get them right off the shelf.