Sign in to follow this  
mechanician

Really neat McDonald's photo from 1961. Hamburgers only 15 cents.

Mc-Dee-I1.jpg

The really neat photo was on theoldmotor.com a few weeks ago. It's location has been ID'ed and you can read about on their comments. Go to The Old Motor for an enlargement and a detail shot of the sign lined in neon, how cool.

What is the car between the two VW's?

Guessing a 57 Ford DelRio Ranch Wagon at the far left.

And a Montgomery Ward in the background! Wonder if anyone was buying Riverside tires for an old car that day?

Mc-Dee-I1.jpg

The really neat photo was on theoldmotor.com a few weeks ago. It's location has been ID'ed and you can read about on their comments. Go to The Old Motor for an enlargement and a detail shot of the sign lined in neon, how cool.

'57 Ford, VW, '47-'55? Renault, VW, '60-'63 Ford Falcon.

'57 Ford, VW, '47-'55? Renault, VW, '60-'63 Ford Falcon.

Not a '63 Falcon. The photo is from 1961. More likely a '60 or '61.

Not a '63 Falcon. The photo is from 1961. More likely a '60 or '61.
Sorry, I haven't had any coffee today.

Sorry, I haven't had any coffee today.

Just don't let it happen again!:D

Falcon's '60-'63 body style was for all purposes the same, pretty basic!

That photo could have been taken in any number of Florida locations if not for the Wards store across the street. There was a McDonald's just like it in Pensacola. Those 15 cent hamburgers we pretty much a disappointment. The were smallish and basically nothing but a patty, mustard, and bun as I recall. Took about three of them to equal a "real hamburger." The location in Pensacola had car hops on roller skates much like Sybil's in Dallas or Prince's in Houston. On that note, I ran into a Sonic in Austin, Texas a while back that had car hops on roller skates.

.....Falcon's '60-'63 body style was for all purposes the same, pretty basic!

Very true. The trim got fancier but the basic body stayed pretty much the same. The hood had a bump in it the firs year or two and then added a nice chrome "boomerang" trim piece later. :)

In addition to the McDonalds we used to have a place in Cleona (Pa.) called Super 15 that had 15 cent hamburgers. In the summer there was a place in Lewes , Del. that had 7 burgers for a dollar. Like was said, they weren't much but to us kids piled in the back of dad's 63 Falcon wagon, they were a real treat!!!

:DBest part back then was the service.The one across the street from our shop advertised (your order served in 60 sec or less or its free.) Never got a free one.:D

The car between the two Volkswagons is likely a Renault 4 CV. 15 cents----I'll take a dozen.

Rog

I've had some coffee since I was here last, and I feel better. I missed a car, I believe the one between the VW and the Falcon on the other side is a '56 Plymouth, can anyone confirm?

I've had some coffee since I was here last, and I feel better. I missed a car, I believe the one between the VW and the Falcon on the other side is a '56 Plymouth, can anyone confirm?

I will confirm that.

The car between the two VW's is a Renault 4CV.

A 4 cylinder water cooled French car that tried to compete with the VW for the small car market and failed. I had one at age 14 and made the famous Moon Machine Roadster out of it and repowered it with a Renault Dauphine engine.

Mine looked like this one pictureed and was a 1952, but I think they made them

from 1947 until 1961, when it was replaced by the Dauphine.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spelling & date (see edit history)

The Falcon is a 1960 base model 4 door sedan, with no stainless trim on the tail lamps or door frames. I had a Deluxe 1960 sedan in college that I later restored that was almost certainly the same light color (Skymist Blue, by far the most common color for the car and the one used in the brochure).

==============

BTW, The car opposite the four already identified is a 1955/56 Mopar product. By the proportions I'd say it's either a Chrysler or DeSoto, but it's trim level is very low so it may also be a Dodge or Plymouth.

================

Finally as to the sign, one of my earliest memories was when the sign on the McDonalds where my (18 year old) uncle worked changed from 200 million to 300 million served. I might have been 3 or 4 years old.

Edited by Dave@Moon
added BTW and "Finally" (see edit history)

That photo could have been taken in any number of Florida locations if not for the Wards store across the street.

It's always interesting what you can find across the street from a McDonalds. Our family ate several times a year at this McDonalds in Erie, PA on weekend trips every summer. It sits on PA Rte. 832 just outside the entrance to Presque Isle State Park, which has some of the nicest fresh water beaches on earth.

976345.jpg

Mc-Dee-I1.jpg

I love the tow hitch on the closest VW.:eek: and the one next to the 57 Ford 2 dr. Ranch wagon is a Type 111 Standard beetle---a car that was brought over by it's owner. No standards were sold in the U.S. You can always tell them from a distance because the windows have no bright trim like the VW closest in the picture which is a type 113 deluxe.

Edited by helfen
spelling, of course! Thanks S. (see edit history)

First McDonald's built in Des Plains, Ill. second in Beloit, Wi. and third in Janesville, Wi. I know, we did their plumbing and they offered us stock in the company instead of money, we turned it down, we knew they couldn't make it with 15 cent hamburgers, 15 cent fries and 19 cent shakes.

I'm still plumbing!!!

First McDonald's built in Des Plains, Ill. second in Beloit, Wi. and third in Janesville, Wi. I know, we did their plumbing and they offered us stock in the company instead of money, we turned it down, we knew they couldn't make it with 15 cent hamburgers, 15 cent fries and 19 cent shakes.

I'm still plumbing!!!

Yeah, and they're still selling hamburgers worth no more than 15 cents, only they are now something like $4.99 with fries and a drink.

Yeah, and they're still selling hamburgers worth no more than 15 cents, only they are now something like $4.99 with fries and a drink.

Mcdouble W/Cheese....$1.00

fries.........................$1.00

"Senior" coke.............$0.57

$2.57 PLUS TAX! :)

Can't beat it with a stick...and for those on a diet, leave the bread and cut it up like a meat loaf!:cool::P

Wayne

And how you know about ze Senior pricing, M'sieur leBurgess?

Good thing Mickey D's doesn't advertise 60 seconds or free any more. They'd go broke for sure. Hardee's "Jet-Fast Service" went away about 35 years ago too.