headlight diode

Guest drg60

i came upon a high milage 89 reatta for 1000 bucks and bought for my wife. nice car but parts and info are not that plentiful. i am looking to get the headlight doors working as previous owner used shoe string to hold them open. i am not even going to talk about the hack job on the wiring harness.

in short i am looking for the headlight diode and i was hoping that someone out there could direct me to where it is located in this car. the motors seem shot when i plug them in they do nothing so i have a feeling that i will be redoing most of the setup.

thanks for any help i may recieve.

Welcome to the forum!

Headlight problems are pretty much a given with Reattas, but there are easy solutions!

First, when you press the headlight switch, do your headlights light up? Do the knobs on the ends of the motor spin?

You probably need several parts. First you need to rebuild your headlight motors. This is a common problem with all Reattas, and is a "Must do" for any car. I have headlight rebuild kits with complete installation instructions available on my website (EastCoastReattaParts.com).

Second, if rebuilding your motors doesn't solve your problem, you will probably need the "Headlamp Control Module". A bad HCM will give you all sorts of problems like one or both motors not turning at all, headlights not lighting up, etc.

The headlight control module is located underneath the windshield washer fluid bottle and relay center under the hood.

If you are in need of any parts for your car, give me a call, I'm glad to help you with whatever I can!

i came upon a high milage 89 reatta for 1000 bucks and bought for my wife. nice car but parts and info are not that plentiful. i am looking to get the headlight doors working as previous owner used shoe string to hold them open. i am not even going to talk about the hack job on the wiring harness.

in short i am looking for the headlight diode and i was hoping that someone out there could direct me to where it is located in this car. the motors seem shot when i plug them in they do nothing so i have a feeling that i will be redoing most of the setup.

Welcome to the forum. The diode is behind the carpeted panel near the fuse block on the passenger side of the console. Remove the entire carpeted panel to get to it. I think it's in pigtail covered with black tape.

You have came to the right place to get help with your Reatta. Once you get past the barrage of people here wanting to sell you something, there will be a lot of knowledgeable folks here that can answer your questions.

The photo is of a 90 model but it will give you an idea of where to look.

console_photos_1.jpg

i am just getting to the headlights as i have been working on other areas of the car. i know that when the motors are plugged in they do not work. as for the headlights they light up and work in that manner. the switch that belongs on the console was in the back seat when car purchased. previous owner had an aftermarket radio installed and after pulling the radio out to install a better radio i found the plug for the headlight doors as well as the driving lights. as of this writing i have the switches in my tool box until i get as much info as possible to start on the headlight doors.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Welcome to the forum drg60! :)

Sincerely doubt that the headlight door diode will be your problem. Have someone stand in front of the car and watch the motors when you turn on the headlights via the switch. if the wheels turn your problem is the crank arms and the rollers inside the motor gearbox. If the wheels make no attempt to tun the next most likely source of the problem is the headlight switch. Try activating the headlight door switch in the center console beside the fog light switch and see if they go up and down with it. If so the headlight control module is ok and the problem is definitely the headlight switch. If they still don't attempt to turn, then there may be other problems which we can guide you through if the need arises, but 99 % if the time it will be the headlight switch. Once you get them turning, you will probably going to find out you need to rebuild the motors and get new crank arms as well.

The headlight diode just prevents crosstalk between the headlight door switch and the headlight switch so the headlights don't go on when the headlight door switch is pressed.

There are also two fuses for the headlight door motors in the underhood relay center behind the windshield washer reservoir. Have you checked them yet?

between working ot and everything else haven't had alot of time to look at the headlights as of yet. i want to thank everyone trying to help me out.