1988 Reatta Supercharged

Guest reattamike

Guest reattamike

I have a running 1988 Reatta Supercharge 3800 Series II engine and transmission. All dash instruments temp, gas, oil pressure, amp, tach, speedometer, odometer, and turn signals work. I had my friend (mechanic) do all the work. He did a fantastic job. It was allot of time and work. Here are pictures of engine and body. This is the only Reatta with a supercharged engine in Michigan running, driving and working dash. With all new exhaust except muffler with low miles. Put duel exhaust in rear with chrome tips muffler came off a 2002 Camaro. The heat & air that work great. All GM parts looks factory. Motor ( L-67 ) and transmission ( 4T65E HD ) it is from a 1998 Grand Prix GTP. Runs excellent very fast. Has 2009 Lacrosse 16x7 rims with 215/60/16 tires the spare has matching rim and tire. The body and interior is in excellent condition. Body has 60,000 miles, engine and trans has 65,000 miles. My location is near Flint, Michigan. Will sell for $7,000.00 . There was allot of fabrication in the dash for heat and air condition. Also in wiring harness big headach. If you need more information on car email me. If you need more pics let me know. Thanks

post-81853-143138777577_thumb.jpg

post-81853-143138777604_thumb.jpg

post-81853-143138910379_thumb.jpg

post-81853-143138910402_thumb.jpg

post-81853-143138910423_thumb.jpg

post-81853-143138910445_thumb.jpg

post-81853-143139122309_thumb.jpg

post-81853-143139122408_thumb.jpg

Edited by reattamike
Added FS Prefix (see edit history)

Mike,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. As a moderator, I have moved your post from the forum questions forum to the Reatta Buy/Sell Forum. You are much more likely to find a potential buyer in the correct forum. Good luck.

Guest gigitwo

Mike, I own a supercharged riviera and a reatta. I know how fast each goes and I've always been curious about a supercharged reatta. Do you have any performance numbers, 0 to 60 or top speed?

Guest reattamike

I dont have any numbers on performace. But I can say it goes from 0 to60 very quickly:D. Handle high speeds very nice. I have the bigger newer rotors and calipers from Grand Prix GTP. They stop the car very well. The stock wheels wont fit over calipers had to use bigger 16' wheels. Thanks Mike

Guest reattamike

Yes I went back to a hydraulic master cylinder from a newer Buick for brakes. Got rid of original brake by wire system just didn't trust system. Replace all brake lines, pads, rotors front and back. Still have emergency brakes but no ABS.

Guest reattamike

$7,000.00 or best offer. Have a ton of new parts all new front end, new exhaust with catalytic converter, muffler, tires, rims, water pump, oil pan gasket, new coupler on nose of supercharge, front struts, plug wires, plug, belt, all rotors, all brake pads and other parts. No leaks, starts right up and very quick when you hit the gas pedal. The dash gages were changed to new digital dash. The stereo was changed to GM cd am fm. Many many hours on motor change. Thanks

Edited by reattamike (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
Guest Avanti
Nice job! There are a number of folks here who have done a s/c swap. Looks like you also went back to a non-ABS braking system.

...and I would be surprised if those folks have a dash setup with fully-functioning gauges. That seems to be the most difficult hurdle for any Reatta engine swap. Good job Mike.

...and I would be surprised if those folks have a dash setup with fully-functioning gauges. That seems to be the most difficult hurdle for any Reatta engine swap. Good job Mike.

Actually, it's pretty easy to get it all to work correctly. All the swaps I've ever seen have fully functioning dashes. Gauges and all read accurately.

Guest Avanti
Actually, it's pretty easy to get it all to work correctly. All the swaps I've ever seen have fully functioning dashes. Gauges and all read accurately.

Ah so you've done the swap and it's easy you say? How about posting step-step instructions for the dash conversion. I'm sure the moderators will make your post a sticky. Thanks in advance.

Ah so you've done the swap and it's easy you say? How about posting step-step instructions for the dash conversion. I'm sure the moderators will make your post a sticky. Thanks in advance.

I haven't personally done the swap, but several members here, as well as several of my customers have done it. They've had no problems from what I've read/heard.

Guest Avanti
I haven't personally done the swap, but several members here, as well as several of my customers have done it. They've had no problems from what I've read/heard.

...and they said it was "pretty easy"? Wow. Guess there's no need for any help then. Must be pretty straightforward.

Guest Avanti

I'm sure you'll agree that not "impossible" and "pretty easy" are two different things. It's a shame none of these members did a pictorial with detailed instructions of their conversions. That would be an enormous help to new members interested in tackling such a big job and certainly worthy of a sticky on this board.

I'm sure you'll agree that not "impossible" and "pretty easy" are two different things. It's a shame none of these members did a pictorial with detailed instructions of their conversions. That would be an enormous help to new members interested in tackling such a big job and certainly worthy of a sticky on this board.
I doubt this will be as detailed as what you are looking for but here is some good info on doing the swap that should get you started. Same info is here on the forum but just takes a little searching to find it.

Series One Engine Swap Information*-*ReattaOwner.com

Throttle Cable Bracket Modification For SC Engine*-*ReattaOwner.com

Regarding this swap and instrumentation, I note that the OP stated the powertrain was a 3800 series II with a 4tT5HD. Most other swaps I've read about here used a series one SC 3800, and the original transmission (4T60 or 4T60E in 1991). This latter arrangement is certainly less troublesome with regard to retaining instrumentation than installing a series II and 4T65E.

What I'd like to know (just to satisfy my own curiosity) is whether the series two engine and 4T65E is controlled by an OBDII PCM, and if so was it "piggybacked" to the original ECM in the car? Or, was the engine stripped of it's OBDII harness and sensors and re-fitted with OBDI parts so that the original ECM could be used with some tweaking? And if the latter, how is the transmission control being handled?

Since 91 was the only year with a PCM (controlling both the engine and trans) and the swap being discussed was done on an 88, I am most interested in how the transmission is being integrated into the system as the 88 ECM has no provision for transmission control/communications, even if you wanted to reprogram it.

Also, while it was stated that all instruments work, does this include on board diagnostics as well? Working gauges are one thing, but to retain the diagnostic functionality is probably more involved. Since the CRT based service mode is one of the notable (and quite useful) features of the 88/89 models, hopefully it was not lost in the conversion.

KDirk

Guest Avanti

These are all good questions that I would also like to have answered by a knowledgeable source - or maybe even a former GM engineer who worked on these cars.