Sign in to follow this  
Amphicar BUYER

What hapened to "Miss Belvedere"

The story seemed to have just stopped since about 2008. Last I heard she was in the care of a company called Ultra One, that makes a rust removing product. I saw them video of the hose running on it and into a kiddie pool. Since then.... NOTHING. Where is she now??

I found this pic of her but no info on condition or location.

Miss-Belvedere-Two-Year-Result.jpg

The two little girls in 1957 showed up in 2007 and posed with what's left of the car.... :eek:

post-59416-143138777944_thumb.jpg

post-59416-143138777946_thumb.jpg

Every-time I see pictures of that car I ask myself, what were they thinking????:confused::confused::confused:

It's more trouble than it's worth. We have to keep in mind that the car is unit construction and no separate chassis. I agree that it can't be restored. It's too far gone.

It's a lesson in futility.

Rog

The story seemed to have just stopped since about 2008. Last I heard she was in the care of a company called Ultra One, that makes a rust removing product. I saw them video of the hose running on it and into a kiddie pool. Since then.... NOTHING. Where is she now??

I found this pic of her but no info on condition or location.

She has her own FORUM with several Threads .......

Check out @ Viewing a forum - Miss Belvedere - The Unearthed Tulsarama Plymouth!

Jim

It's more trouble than it's worth. We have to keep in mind that the car is unit construction and no separate chassis. I agree that it can't be restored. It's too far gone.

Rog

1960 was the 1st year of the unit-body. the '57 has a frame with a body bolted to it.

1960 was the 1st year of the unit-body. the '57 has a frame with a body bolted to it.

Correct. Only the Imperial model continued with a frame after 1960 thru 1966.

Eric

It is a shame that the city didn't think ahead or listen to contractors. The car is basically a rust bucket and sad since it was a new car when buried. It would cost a fortune to restore and then with all of the fabric, plastic, electronic, glass and sheetmetal swaps (and most likely engine) it won't be the "original" car so what is the use? I would just try and preserve it as is the best way possible to stop the rusting and let it be with a background history. Right now the current owner has no plans for it several years into the future and the city it came from doesn't want it back either so basically it is an orphan.

.......an example of how NOT to store a car........

And when NOT to restore a car!;)

It's like an HPOF car!

It needs to be in the AACA Museum as an example of how NOT to store a car.

In 1957 I was 11 years old and knew enough not to bury a car for 50 years.:eek:

It would have fared much better being left above ground all those years. The Titanic is doing much better after nearly 100 years at the bottom of the ocean.:P

I was at the meet. The car was worse than anyone hoped, but not as bad as some thought. Yes it would be expensive but it can be done, now that Boyd Coddington is no longer around to break everything on it. That one picture after some derusting was done, it at least has some color on it. It does not deserve to be ignored for another 50 years. Somebody with deep pockets needs to step in and do something.

Rog

I agree here. This car is too far gone to restore. There's not much that could be salvaged because of it's construction.

It's best to just preserve it.

It isn't like this is some rare model or year and to spend $70,000 on a $15,000 car is crazy. The difference between the car and the Titanic is that the Titanic is in freezing water so far down that there is so little oxygen and very little life to contaminate the steel. It is bacteria that is destroying the ship.