223 6 cyl valve cover

Guest Julian

was looking at an ad on ebay where a guy is selling his 58 ford 223 6 cyl car and noticed that it had an offenhouser aluminum finned valve cover on it. Looking at the offy aluminum valve covers for the OLD chevy 6 (216-235) it looks VERY similar in appearance to the ford 223 with the bolts coming up through the top of the valve cover. does anyone know IF the old chevy valve cover will fit the 223 6 as I would like to find the offy finned valve cover for my ole 59..???

Edited by Julian (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

this weekend I pulled the 223 out of my 59 custom 300 to reseal it.. The rear main was leaking.. dropped the pan and side cover and was pleastantly surprised that the inside of the ole gal was pretty clean to be 53 yrs old.. It still had the factory bearings (both main and rod) in it. Car has 59k miles on the clock so it appears that is the origianal miles. So far it has cleaned up well. It was originally a black engine (didnt know ford had black engines) so this will go back black with ford red valve cover, timing cover, side cover and oil pan. Just enough red to break up all that black...:)

Edited by Julian (see edit history)