4 speed Hydramatic Identification

Guest shuhta

Please help me identify this hydramatic transmission. Realativly new to antique auto parts and still learning alot. Here are pictures of the transmission.

For those that dont click on links. There is a blue tag on it that says Hydra-Matic build for Lincoln Mercury Division of Ford Motor Company A number on the tag reads (L-54-22257)

Any help would be appreciated. Especially if you could point me to a good site with ID information so I can continue educating myself.

Thanks Much

To add just a little more to the trans in the picture. The trans is a G.M. "D" type Hydra-Matic modified to fit the Chrysler Hemi and the linkage and most likely the internals including the valve body and linkage are B&M Hydro-Stick components.

A very popular Automatic used for drag racing in the 1950's and to the mid 60's. This trans was used in stock automatic classes by Pontiac and Oldsmobile, and 90% of the automatic Gasser classes.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

hi don, all 1954 "D" type hydramatics were flat pan, no slant pan hydramatic before 1955. look closer at the photos. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Sorry Charles, my bad and your absolutely correct. I didn't look close enough.:eek: I corrected it!:)

Don