1923 Buick

Guest Alexandra

Guest Alexandra

I didn't want to mix matters, so I didn't say anything till now, but now that I think I'm enough clarified about the car lubrification, I have other things I want to discuss.

I'm waiting for another person that have also an old car to make an "especialized" inspeccion in the Caramulo Museum ( Museu do Caramulo > Automobile Collection ) on my car together with his (he already has experience on doing it with other old cars he has).

But mean while, and because he is a very busy man, I made a "normal" inspection so I can make an insurance and circulate with the car without any problems with the authorities...

Ok, CO measurements are to forget! :rolleyes: And also lights parameters... :rolleyes:

But the 4 inspectors (Yes, 4!) were amazed by it's performance!

They said that some new ones aren't so good... :)

They only alert me that I needed to align the direction and that the right front brake has problems (rear brakes ok).

And now what I want to discuss, I'm not seeing how I can align the direction. Does someone knows any trick to adjust it, without making changes on the car?

Guest Oracle

This British company sell vintage car oils:

Morris Lubricants

Perhaps they can export or have a Portugese agent?

SAE30 was the oil that I used in mu Honda C50 motorcyle. I used to buy Esso oil.

Then I had a brainwave! Castrol sell vintage vehicle oils and they have a Portugese site:

Castrol Portugal

Guest Alexandra

Thank you, Mr. Hayward.

But I think my problem is that I'm not talking with the right persons here!

I remember that when I was looking for a car for my marriage there were 2 gentlemen that had very old cars, so they must know where I can find the right lubrificants for these cars...

I think Mr. Barros doesn't have a Buick as old as mine but he has other marks:

http://museuautomovel.com/frames/index.html

And Mr. Luzio, well... He has a lovely 1912 Buick:

NOTÍCIAS DE BUSTOS: UDB organiza 1ª exposição de carros antigos

Strangely, it's easier for me to contact persons that are even on the other side of the world than the one's that are just a few quilometers away!

Guest Alexandra

There is something I'm intrigued.

It's about the radiator cap.

First, I thought I didn't have the right one.

That I should have one like in one of the pictures...

That all Buicks had one from factory.

I thought that at some point of this car life it was "lost" and that someone had put another one.

But now I'm starting to have doubts because in most of the pictures I see in the internet, or even in some Buick's manuals doesn't have this "ornament".

I find this strange because it has not only a ornament function but, as far as I understood, it also gives a additional information about the radiator temperature.

Only some special cars had it? Can someone clarify me about this? :confused:

post-81756-14313878849_thumb.jpg

post-81756-143138788494_thumb.jpg

Hi Alexandra

The GALP SAE 30 oil you have found is exactly the right product for the engine. For the gearbox and rear axle, I would use this one = GALP TRANSOIL 85W140. It is available from other suppliers too.

The radiator cap includes a "Motometer" which indicates the temperature of the water. There were a variety of different styles available as accessories, so it is difficult to say what is original and what is not, for your car. Do not worry about it!!

Best wishes

Adam..

Edited by Alfa (see edit history)

Guest Alexandra

Just to help to the confusion I was reviewing some of the information I obtained about the car here on the forum…

- It’s a Touring Model (front and back seats).

- It’s a 35 Model because it has a 4 cylinder engine. (1924 was the last year for 4 cylinder engines)

- It’s a exported car because it’s RHD. (=> X35 Model??)

- According to Mr. Hayward, by the serial number it isn’t a McLaughlin, so it must be a Flint car.

And now…

- Points which seem to support the idea that it’s a 24-4-35 (one of the first ones from 1924):

* It has a 1924 Model look (a "Packard look" as Mr. Black said)

* It has 4 wheel brakes (1923 was the last year for 2 wheel brakes)

* The engine number indicates that it’s a engine of 1924 (Mr. Kearney)

* The chassis number indicates that it’s a car from 1924 (post 17 from Mr. Rod)

- Points which seem to support the idea that it’s a 23-4-35 (one of the last ones from 1923):

* The engine number indicates that it’s a engine of 1923 (post 21 from Mr. Rod)

* The car documentation indicates that it’s a car from 1923 (Although the documentation also says that it’s a Roadstar Cabriolet, that it's a Buick Model 2.820-1923 and at the chassis number has the body data number…)

I’m trying to get the car history records but the bureaucracy is terrible…

Edited by Alexandra
more information (see edit history)

Guest 1922 Buick

Hi Alexandra,

In my previous message I misinterpreted your frame number and engine number. What you have is a '24 frame with a '23 engine.

1922 Buick

Jeff Kearney

post-32005-143138789711_thumb.jpg

post-32005-143138789765_thumb.jpg

post-32005-143138789795_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1922 Buick (see edit history)

Regarding the age or year of manufacture, I am afraid, as this was an "export" model, which I think has an X with the model number, but you may have no tag. There may be a tag that shows that the car waqs assembled in Antwep or England as I think GM had only two places where they may have assembled kits coming from the Us, but it would have been most likely Antwerp as most going into England came from Canada to avoid tarrif.

The other comment is that there may well be some confusion as to age because they often mixed years of components near year end changes, and where better to have it less noticed then in export cars. we know when the dpression came to the US years later, quite a number of one year's model cars had parts from the previous years cars that were "left over". I would believe even a full engine could have been installed, especialy of the mounting was identical between years.

Some of this may have been covered in other posts, as I had not read all the posts.

John

Guest Oracle

I seriously doubt whether it was an Antwerp-supplied car...being right-hand drive. The Hendon, London plant received McLaughlin-Buicks that year:

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 4 [MASTER FOUR] (McLaughlin-Buick):

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 24-X35 4-CYLINDER PASSENGER CHASSIS

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 4 [MASTER FOUR] MODEL 24-X33 4-CYLINDER 40 H.P. “EMPRESS” 2-SEATER PLUS DICKEY

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 4 [MASTER FOUR] MODEL 24-X35 4-CYLINDER STANDARD 5-SEATER TOURER

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 4 [MASTER FOUR] MODEL 24-X35 4-CYLINDER “MAJESTIC” 5-SEATER TOURER

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 4 [MASTER FOUR] MODEL 24-X35 4-CYLINDER 4-DOOR TOURER BY COMPTON

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 4 [MASTER FOUR] MODEL 24-X37 4-CYLINDER 5-SEAT SALOON...by GM Limited, London?

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 4 [MASTER FOUR] MODEL 24-X33 4-CYLINDER FOUR-SEATER COUPE [2-SEATER WITH RUMBLE SEAT]

MODEL 18.2 H.P. BUICK 4 [MASTER FOUR] MODEL 24-X35 4-DOOR LAUNDELETTE BY MOTOR CAR INDUSTRIES, LONDON

QUOTED SERIALS RAN TO # 78150 HOWEVER THIS SEEMS TO BE WRONG:

RAN FROM # 78150 TO # 82860?

ENGINE SERIALS RAN # 1060000 TO # 1214050?

Surely Portugal drove on the right at at the time? However Brazil, Aregentina, Uruguay and probably other S. American countries drove on the left, and we know that some 1920s GM cars with rhd have been imported in modern times into Portugal and Spain from S. America.

By 1925 GM Export Company had a sales office in Madrid that supplied Spain, Portugal and North Africa. However this is from my notes:

A 1925 MODEL BUICK BROCHURE DATED 1924 FOR PORTUGAL SAYS “ AGENCIA SERIAL PARA PORTUGAL: C S Olas de Figueired & Co., AV. DA LIBERDADE, 186-A B C, LISBOA then GENERAL MOTORS EXPORT COMPANY 224 WEST 57TH STREET, NEW YORK, U.S.A. “PRINTED IN U.S.A.”

So presumably this company was the Buick Agency working with the GM Export Co.

Edited by Oracle (see edit history)

Guest Alexandra

Surprise!

I confess I do not know much about the history of the car, so I assumed it always had in Portugal led to the right.

Wrong!

Here's what I found in a small study (just used google translate so there may be some less correct translation):

"The fact is that in the past, almost everyone traveled the left of the road. In a feudal society and violent, in which the use of weapons was completely liberalized, this was the most logical choice, with most people being right-handed , you would rather be a sword on the left, to take your right arm closer to an opponent. Moreover, prevented his sword, worn on the left, hit someone.

Then there was the question of a right handed person it easier to ride a horse on the left. On the other hand, would be an added difficulty to do it again because of the sword used on the left. Nor was safer to ride a horse by the side of the walk, instead of the center of the road, made perfect sense to ride a horse on the left.

By the end of the century. Century, began to use larger carts which until then were common to transport agricultural products, especially in France and the United States. These carts were pulled by several pairs of horses, and had no seat for the driver, it sat in the last horse left, to allow you to have your right arm, holding the whip in the middle of the pairs. As I was sitting to the left of the cart, of course wanted to pass other traffic on your left, so you can more easily avoid something to arrest the wheels. So, now led by the right of the road.

The French Revolution of 1789 also changed the landscape in force until then, before the revolution, the aristocracy used the left of the road, forcing ordinary people to the right. But after the storming of the Bastille, the aristocracy took to download the ball well, and joined the mob was going to the right.

In 1794 he was officially introduced into circulation by the rule of law in Paris, and, one year before, this rule had been legally established in Denmark.

The conquests of Napoleon implemented this rule to other countries: Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany, Poland and Russia and some parts of Spain and Italy. The countries that resisted the French, kept driving on the left: Britain, the Austro-Hungarian (cha-tchaaaammmmm) Portugal. And so it remained for more than one hundred years, until the end of the First World War.

After the Russo-Swedish Sweden 1808-1809 (circulating on the left) had to cede Finland to Russia, but only fifty years after the movement was imposed on the right in this country, through an Imperial decree. Sweden, Finland's former owner, kept driving on the left.

In Britain, the movement was made law in 1835 by the left as well as in all its colonies. Hence, India, Australia and the former British African colonies drive on the left. Only escaped Egypt, which has always led by right, because, before moving to English rule, had been a possession of Napoleon.

In Japan, it also leads to the left, despite never having been part of the British Empire. Since the Edo period (1603-1867) that was the practice in 1872 but only became a rule. This was the year in which the first railway line was introduced, using British technology - circulating in the left, so.

The dominance of English in the technology of railways in the initial phase of these, it is also the reason why in many countries moving to the right, the trains run on the left - to France, by the way (with the exception of Alsace, whose paths iron were built by Germany at the time that the Alsace-Lorraine was German - Germany, the trains run on the right).

The Dutch have made to their colonies in the habit of driving on the left (Indonesia and Suriname, for example), but in their country of origin, were forced to move to the right with Napoleon. The colonies, however, kept the old habit.

In the U.S., switching to driving on the right was a direct consequence of its independence - a reaction to the dominant power in the ancient customs - as well as its approach, during and after this fight, France (the Statue of Liberty is an offer the French and the Americans, for example). The city in which they signed the Declaration of Independence, Pennsylvania, was the first city to make madatória right-hand traffic, followed by other cities in a short time.

In parts of Canada, still led by the left for a long time, in the area controlled by the French, was on the right, the rest of English, on the left. The last Canadian territory to move to the right, only did so after World War II.

In Portugal, moved to the right to drive in the twenties. It was wham-back-catrapás, all in a day, both in continental Portugal, as in the colonies (aka: "overseas provinces" ...). The colonies with neighboring countries driving on the left, could, however, maintain the status quo, which is why Macau (because of China), Goa, Diu and Damian (because of India) and Mozambique (Africa because South) never did. In East Timor, Indonesia's neighbor leading to the left, moved, however. Indonesia is changed so that, when he invaded the territory in 1975. Frankly, I do not know how it is today.

In Italy, he moved permanently to the right-hand drive in the twenties.

In Spain, as a consequence of the Napoleonic wars, parts of the country led by the left (Barcelona, ​​for example), and the other right as Madrid. Also there was uniform in all thirty years, for driving on the right.

A strange country was Austria. After the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, as in the century. Century, Austria was divided: one half led to the left, the other to the right, and the dividing line was precisely line up to which the soldiers had arrived from Napoleon a century earlier.

With the annexation of Austria by Hitler in 1938 began to circulate all the right, which was later to happen also in other countries of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire (Czechoslovakia and Hungary) have barely been invaded, and that they had kept to the left .

After the war, with the emergence of the automobile industry, especially the American, who was building cars with left hand drive, many countries have the right to circulate due to imports coming from North America.

Pakistan, a former British colony, thought to change the circulation to the right, but dropped it for a curious reason, a little reminiscent of the saying of the old donkey who does not learn the way: the caravans of camels, very common in that country until today, traveling day and night, and when they walked at night, the handlebars were often asleep. Since it was not possible to teach the new trick of the right-hand traffic camels older, it turned left.

The only English rule to drive on the right, is Gibraltar.

Sweden was the last country in the European continent to change when, well after the war ended, and the growth of the fleet, if the accidents began to happen in border areas, which largely were not marked nor had guards , which made the people go, so get along, to walk around. There was a referendum in 1955, and despite the overwhelming majority of the population voted against the change (over 80%!) In 1963 passed a law to order it, from Sweden to lead the right four years later. Iceland followed a year later.

In 60 years, to England toyed with the idea of ​​change, but the Conservatives have kept their tradition.

Another argument, to skim the conspiracy theory, is the English have kept the left-hand traffic, economic and strategic reasons, as they had a car industry (still) booming, and to guard against foreign investment, continued to circulate on the left. How to build naturally right-hand drive cars, their cars were cheaper than those of other manufacturers who had to purposely change the wheels from left to right. As in much of the Commonwealth driving on the left, and most of it is made up of countries with little automotive industry (except Australia), to guarantee them that one export market. The fact is that General Motors has in England one of its largest factories, Vauxhall, prepared exclusively for making cars to drive on the left.

In Europe today, only circulates on the left in four countries: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta.

Interestingly, the pedals are never reversed. The sequence is always, regardless of which side of the steering wheel, accelerator, brake, clutch, right to left. This convention was agreed to avoid retraining of drivers over a "continental" who rent a car in England, and such as transmissions of cars are always the same, for cost reasons, the provision of change is equal ie: if a car steering wheel left to reverse it back to the right, in the same car, but RHD there be, it will be right back. "

Guest Alexandra

I'm not sure about this, for that I needed the full car history record, but I think the car was imported to Portugal in 1968.

As you can see in the previous photos, the current car plate number is AE-01-09, but I have a copy of other older car documents that says that the car once had a plate number AA-64-29.

Someone told me that in the past, in Portugal, the license plates numbers beginning with "AA" were only used for imported cars ...

Guest Oracle

The European countriues that drive on the left:

ENGLAND/WALES/SCOTLAND/NORTHERN IRLEAND

EIRE

ISLE OF MAN

JERSEY

GUERNSEY

ALDERNEY

SARK

MALTA

CYPRUS

I remember listening to an old radio when Sweden switched overnight: September 1967.