No codes for 455

Guest glenjohnson

:) Is this a 455 Buick? If so, the engine number will be stamped between the two front spark plugs and the exhaust manifold on the left side, and the production code number between the two rear plugs and the exhaust manifold also on the left side. If a Pontiac,the number will be stamped on the block in front of the right bank of cylinders with a production number stamped below the engine serial number. If Olds, on the right cyl.head to block deck face.( on F-85 and Cutlass: tape attached directly to the front of oil fill tube.

This info came from a 1973 Chiltons Manual. 'Hope I helped.

:) kaycee

Let's start at the beginning. WHAT model of 455 is this - Buick, Olds, or Pontiac? Once we know that, we can help with the next level of detail.

:) If Olds, on the right cyl.head to block deck face.( on F-85 and Cutlass: tape attached directly to the front of oil fill tube.

This info came from a 1973 Chiltons Manual. 'Hope I helped.

:) kaycee

Not entirely correct on the Olds motors. ALL 1968-76 Olds motors used the tape on the oil fill tube and I've not yet seen an original one that survived. On the other hand, every Cutlass/442 has a shiny new repro on it. The VIN derivative stamp on the block will tell you the year and manufacturing plant, but not much else.