'54 Buick Special Headliner Trim Question

Fred Zwicker

Headliner Trim: I noticed on my '54 Buick Special that the edge of the headliner just over the side windows is about a 3/4" diameter black welt that starts at top of windshield and runs entire length of interior and then down to the package tray area into a hole and out of sight. I feel this is original, as at front, the metal upright steel section that is held in place with screws has a round cutout for this welt and it seems to fit into another round cutout in the metal at the bottom in rear.

However, in looking at my '54 Century 2dr. HT parts car, there is a chrome-plated molding that is used instead of this welt. The Century has a slightly different metal upright steel section that is angled to cover the front edge of this chrome trim piece, which is in 2 sections. I am looking for a confirmation on the use of his 3/4" welt, but feel it is how it was done originally. I knoq that the two models (Special and Century) had minor differences.

Thanks, Fred

post-48037-143138767497_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mr. Earl,

I saved and printed all 3 pictures. I notice that the small hex nut to hold spare is laying on the floor of the trunk and other pictures show that the 3/4" welt along the inside above windows on my '54 Special is correct. This is a relief, as would hate to get involved with the headliner now. I do notice that there is a small chrome coat hook which I do not have. These hooks are reproduced, but I do not know if I have the nerve to start poking through my headliner to find a small screw hole, if such a hole exists.

The trunk picture posted by Mr. Earl does NOT seem to have the body bolt and washer along the left side below the wheel hump. I have seen these on '54 - '56 Roadmasters, and on Steve's '54 Skylark, but those had a different trunk lining material.

Trunk in picture is identical to mine as near as I can tell, but looking at Mr.Earl's picture, I am unable to see any sign of a bolt or washer in that area. Is it possible that Specials had the rear body bolts installed prior to installing the trunk lining? This is a question that I have had for some time, but nothing definite as yet. Pictures of my trunk lining are attached and also 2 pictures of Steve's '54 Skylark Trunk Lining, which shows this bolt and washer.

Fred

post-48037-14313876997_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138769973_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138769977_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138769979_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138769983_thumb.jpg

Fred, by looking at Mr. Earl's picture, you should be able to get an idea where the coat hook goes. There is a stand off welded in place for the screw to attach into. Just feel along that area with your hands and you will find it. Then take a press hard with your finger on the headliner and you should be able to feel the indentation for the hole. Take an ice pick or something similar an gently locate the hole and make the opening.

I just had to do that recently when I installed my headliner, so I speak from experience here. Heck, you will need the coat hooks for originality in the interior if you are getting it judged. They will need to be there.

Good luck!

Fred, after closer review of the "trunk bolt" those are not supposed to be on the upper surface. The trunk mat is to cover those. I am not sure where those pictures are from, but from what I know, not supposed to be onthe upper surface. Also, the wheel well is supposed to be painted with primer, not body color as well. So although the pictures with the bolts look pretty, they are not, in my review, factory correct.

Mr. Earl, any second opinions on this?

My Special had the bolts below the trunk material, but the Century convertible had the body mounting bolt AND washer above the original trunk material. I would leave them covered Fred. Your trunk looks too nice to have them exposed.

As far as the coat hook: Jim is right, it should be easy to find the hole. With that said, I didn't reinstall the robe cords on the back of my seat (because the upholsterer lost mine) and I didn't have points taken off. It depends on the judging team.

Hi Fred,

My car (1954 model 61) is what appears to be a somewhat untouched car with the exception of a paint job. I don't see a bolt between the spare and outside of the trunk. I've posted a few pictures for you to see.

Btw I don't think I live far from you, just outside of Kent if you ever need to look at something firsthand.

Carl

post-33892-143138770353_thumb.jpg

post-33892-143138770356_thumb.jpg

Hey Fred, regarding the welting vs chrome molding:

A little research is in order, but it is very probable you are seeing correct originals in both cases. On the 1957 Pontiacs which I am familar with the base model hardtops use a cordwelt trim, but on Star Chiefs there is a chrome molding, a system just like you describe on the Buicks. Todd C

Fred, after closer review of the "trunk bolt" those are not supposed to be on the upper surface. The trunk mat is to cover those. I am not sure where those pictures are from, but from what I know, not supposed to be onthe upper surface. Also, the wheel well is supposed to be painted with primer, not body color as well. So although the pictures with the bolts look pretty, they are not, in my review, factory correct.

Mr. Earl, any second opinions on this?

We definitely need Mr. Earl's opinion on this, but I feel that either treatment of this is correct, but need to know on which models, based on my pictures and research so far.

Pictures 1 & 2 below are from a low-mileage '56 untouched and 100% original Roadmaster convertible that I visited just this past Sunday (12/18) and I took these pictures myself. (2 owner car with known history - 100% original and never touched or changed by the two owners). This material and bolt/washer treatment are identical with Steve's '54 Skylark and the trunk material is very similar.

Pictures 3 & 4 below are of Steve's '54 Skylark (i Motors). Steve spent 16 years on his restoration and I feel that he has carefully researched his '54 Skylark plenty. Accordingly I feel that his treatment of the bolt/washer showing on each side of his trunk is correct for the Skylark.

Another Roadmaster: No pictures, but about 2 weeks ago, our mechanic at work visited a friend who has a 20,000 mile original '54 Roadmaster and according to my mechanic, this car also had the better trunk lining material and the bolt/washer on each side in the exact same location as the other two cars above.

In addtion to the above, to make it more confusing, I have seen several pictures of '54 Buick trunks without the bolt/washer showing.

So while admittedly I am not at all a Buick expert, here is my theory:

1) Different plants did things differently and different models had different features. .

2) Roadmasters and Skylarks had a completely different (thicker and better) trunk material than the lighter weight rope pattern used in Specials and possibly Century Models.

3) I am coming to the conclusion that the models with the better trunk material had the bolt going through the trunk lining material and the lower-priced models had the bolts installed prior to installing the trunk lining with the body bolt and washer below the trunk materials (not showing).

For this to happen, if a body came down an overhead converyor with the trunk lining already installed, it would have been lowered into position and body bolted to the frame, including the rear body bolt that goes through each side of the trunk material. In this case the bolt/washer on each side would be visible.

If a different model (in a different plant perhaps) came down an overhead conveyor without the trunk lining installed, it would have been lowered into position and the body bolted to the frame. Later the trunk lining material would have been installed over the top of the bolt/washer and since it was under the padding and trunk material, it would not be visible.

This is all theory, but seems to make sense, as I have seen too many pictures of the bolt/washer on top of the better trunk lining and have seen other pictures of Buicks with the rope pattern trunk lining where the bolt/washer does not show.

Mr. Earl has many pictures of '54 Buick trunks and hopefully he can come up with pictures of each style and come up with his own theory. I am thinking that there may be some connection with certain models with the bolt/washer showing and other models without. There has to be some pattern to this discrepancy.

Pictures 5 & 6 below: For my '54 Special 2dr. HT, we had the body off, and later installed the body on the frame and all body bolts were installed. I later installed the trunk lining material over top of the body bolt and washer, so it does not show, per my previous pictures. I am in hopes that this is OK, but if not, this can always be changed. In my opinion, I do not like the look of the bolt/washer showing, but want to get it right. So in reviewing many other pictures of various older Buick trunks, see some with the bolt/washer and some without, so I guess there is no exact answer unless someone can come up with more information.

What about this Mr. Earl? Any other input on this?

Fred

post-48037-143138770963_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138770966_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138770972_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138770975_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138770979_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138770982_thumb.jpg

I just checked my stored pictures and here are two more pictures from Mr. Earl, showing a trunks with the trunk lining material OVER the bolt/washer. The one closeup of the right side of the car even has a hump, showing the bolt/washer below the trunk lining material. Comparing my 6 pictures in previous post and these two, shows that there were definitely two versions of this in 1954. Does anyone have any knowledge of the reason for this and which models have which, if that is the case?

Fred

post-48037-143138771015_thumb.jpg

post-48037-14313877102_thumb.jpg