Birds' targets

Dave Mellor NJ

Here's a shot, top row, '35-'36 GM, Olds or Cadillac?, next '40 Ford, then next a ca. '35 and a ca. '32 something.

bottom row, the white ones appear to be '41 Mopar, Dodge? The 3rd one appears to have straps going down from the trunk hinges and a divided rear window which i think were '35 Olds characteristics, but it has a top insert rather than a turret top and lacks the suicide front doors, so ?? 4th one, with the crease on the lid looks Nashish, ca. '40-'41, 5th one maybe '36 Chevy flat back.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Dave, I'm skeptical that the first car in the top row and the third in the bottom row are the same, and that they are as new as '37-'38. The tag positiion is on the left on the top row car and it has a single handle on the lid. The other car's tag appears centered with a light over it (a good clue) and it also has more bow to its rear bumper, double lid latches at the bottom, (a Mopar characteristic ca. 1935) and decorative straps going down below the hinges. It may have a trailer hitch (the light color vertical thing).

I'm sticking with ca. '36 GM on the top row car, maybe Mopar on the other. Did the '35 Chrysler have those straps on the lid?? Great fun.

Dave, yes they have a lot in common. What I am noticing is the hinges look like they are set closer together on the top row #1 car, and the rear window appears wider in comparison to the lid, than on your blue Dodge. The Dodge lid line at the top between the hinges is slightly bowed while the @1 car's doesn't appear that way. There is also a difference in how far the lid reaches downward, with the top row @1 car showing more body metal below it that the Dodge. If the basic bodies were the same I would expect that those details would be also. Could it be that the lighting makes fenders look 2-piece? I couldn't see them on the #1 car, too dark. The crown of the rear fenders differs too, with the Dodge having no ridge along the crown. Granted that the different perspectives and lightong can play tricks. Just my thoughts from the peanut gallery.

It is very likely the bottom #3 car is a Chrysler. The simulated strap trim below the hinges is distinctive. As far as I can remember the only other use of it during the time period was on the '35 Olds, and that car had suicide front doors, which the pictured car doesn't. Too bad the top construction details of #1 car in the top row can't be seen, at least by me. By '35-'36 GM cars had 1 piece "turret" tops, while mopars lagged behind, as shown on the #3 bottom row car. On that top row #1 car I do notice an appearance of it being more "sculptured" in the area area surrounding the bottom of the trunk lid, and rounded corners at the lid's bottom, unlike the blue Dodge pictured. All in all a lot of differences between the 2 cars.