32 Hood hinge strip spreaders

Guest Jim Jordan

Guest Jim Jordan

I just installed new hood hold downs and a new chrome hinge strip on the 32/57S.

I can align the hood perfectly but when I open the hood it comes out of alignment and needs to be adjusted again.

The old hood hinge spreaders were crimped in the strip so they don't move and they kept the hood aligned.

I understand the new spreaders need to be located next to the hold downs to secure the hood from shifting. The new spreaders are loose and when we installed them they slide down the strip and fall out where the strip starts to widen.

Has anyone had experience installing these so they stay in place? I thought of epoxy glue?

thank you,

Jim

Looks like your not getting any help with this. I can only tell you what I did to help tighten my little clamps. I took a leather mallet and a body dolly and tapped the edges down until the little hold downs would not slide all the way out, after that it was just adjusting the radiator to fit snug and so far I havent had any shifting of the hood.

Another way might be to braze them a little to build them up, then you could always file it to a perfect fit.

Guest Jim Jordan

Thanks for the reply V12. Makes a lot of sense. I am going to follow up on your suggestion, basically a compression fit by expanding the little clamps.

thank you very much,

Jim