Sign in to follow this  
franc944

1990 Reatta Convertible White Red Int Need opinion on asking price

To get that kind of price you need to advertise on Hemmings, people here tend to be a bit..."thrifty".

Benefits of AACA Membership.

To get that kind of price you need to advertise on Hemmings, people here tend to be a bit..."thrifty".

X2. Really to get top dollar you gotta go to Hemmings.

X2. Really to get top dollar you gotta go to Hemmings.

X3. Hemmings is THE place to go for selling you car if you want to get top dollar. Don't waste your time with free advertising. Most of the buyers you're aiming for are looking in places that require you pay to advert there.

Under car clean, no leaks minor surface rust.

Pictures up tonight.

I'm throwing it on Hemmings soon. Any takers here?

Ok no bites

Any tips?

I'd get the car out with the wheels you're selling with it, clean it all up and take some nice pictures. It will do a lot of good.

Well, speaking from my own experience, if you really anticipate getting top dollar, get ready for the long haul. In todays market, to obtain top dollar it may take a Year or More to find the right buyer at top asking price. So after 1 week, I really wouldn't expect too much. In my opinion, if you plan to sell it within a month or less, you're going to have to lower your expectations Quite a bit on the asking price. You have to remember, most people that buy Reatta convertibles are buying them as pleasure vehicles, not daily drivers. And lets be honest, people today have a lot less disposable income to work with than even 5 years ago. Just my 2 cents and speaking from my own experience.

Ok no bites

Any tips?

I will be honest with you. I hope you aren't offended. The photos you have on Hemmings are poor quality and don't convey the feeling of a quality car. You are completing with the big boys when you list your car in Hemmings and you have to make your car look it's best to do that. I'm not saying your car isn't nice, just the photos give a buyer the feeling that it is rough around the edges. Also I think the photos of the underside of the car, showing all the rust, is killing your chance of making a top dollar sale. At the very least you should have left them off.

Tips:

As Marck said, put the wheels on the car that you are selling it with. Make adjustment on the hood so the margin along the front is equal all the way across.

Pay a few bucks to have a professional detail the car inside and out, including taking care of the surface rust under the car.

Take high quality photos in a location that compliments the car, like a city park or in front of a historic building. The garage photos distract from the feeling of luxury which is what you want to convey with photos of your Reatta convertible. Your photos shouldn't just show the car. They should make the buyer want that car!

Well, speaking from my own experience, if you really anticipate getting top dollar, get ready for the long haul. In todays market, to obtain top dollar it may take a Year or More to find the right buyer at top asking price. So after 1 week, I really wouldn't expect too much. In my opinion, if you plan to sell it within a month or less, you're going to have to lower your expectations Quite a bit on the asking price. You have to remember, most people that buy Reatta convertibles are buying them as pleasure vehicles, not daily drivers. And lets be honest, people today have a lot less disposable income to work with than even 5 years ago. Just my 2 cents and speaking from my own experience.

I agree. You will be sitting on your car for probably at least 3 months. But someone will call and just say "where do I send the money".

If you need it gone fast, lower the asking price to about $8,000.

And trust me, a professional detail and a photo shoot in a city park or something as Ronnie said will make the car about 20x more attractive.

I'm speaking from experience of selling my own cars, as well as helping customers sell theirs.

I agree, you just posted pictures, your not "selling" the car, and as soon as I saw that underside shot, I clicked off the ad.

Get the car outside, take pictures that will make a buyer WANT your car. All I wanted to do was click off the ad. Best to scrap the underside shots!

In all honesty, maybe wait a month or so, let the spring time come and peoples excitement for summer days, and thoughts of taking trips to the lake with the top down will help you sell your car.

Best of luck.

Agreed, well done ad. Got my attention, very well written, I wanted to look at ALL the pictures of this guys car, and read what he had to say about it.

A+ for internet selling class 101

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will get some better pictures. There was snow on the ground when I wanted to place the ad which is why I did not get any outside pics.

I have about 8 hours of detailing into the car. It was buffed and detailed by a professional and I. Does the car look dirty?

What should I put in the ad to get people to know I'd consider lower offers than the other cars on that site?

As for the wheels I haven't painted the stock ones yet and am trying to buy another set from an eBay seller .

Edited by franc944 (see edit history)

Very well written ad Ervin! Good Job and Good Luck! Great Looking Ride!

Thanks. I do sympathize with Franc944 but his presentation is lacking.

On the flip side, in 18 days I've had 103 views. But during winter with 75% of America freezing their tushy off, I suspect it won't be until late spring before people seriously start thinking 'convertible'.

I agree with the last few posts.

This is how your car should be displayed: Buick Reatta for sale | Hemmings Motor News

Now THAT is one clever and informative (and well photographed with video) listing that grabs the viewer (wink wink).

That ad just makes me want to sell my life and live out of that Reatta for the next couple years! :D