1990 Reatta Convertible White Red Int Need opinion on asking price

franc944

My car is in good condition 65,000 original miles, everything works.

White, white top recently replaced. Flame Red Int.

Is $11,900 a fair price?

I am going to do the check list and put up some pics but unsure of how much to ask.

I am in Hartford CT

I'm new so opinions not critics please:D

Padgett is right. If the car is an ordinary '90 it would have the burgundy interior.

If it is a '90 Select 60 it would have bright white seats and door panels and the rest of the interior would be flame red.

If it is a Select 60 it is probably worth more than the asking price.

For comparison, I have a friends 1990 white convertible with tan interior setting in the driveway that he wants to sell. It is a rust free California car that he paid $2,500 to have the A/C fixed plus new Michiline tires before he drove it from California to Texas. Then paid local Buick dealer $1,100 to fix some things. It has 51,000 miles but could stand a new top as the back window is delaminated from the top.

With the purchase price and repairs he has about $13,000 in it and will sell for $10,500

Does my 16 way power seats and oem cd player add to the value any?

Doe any one know how many were

Produced with this option combination?

For comparison, I have a friends 1990 white convertible with tan interior setting in the driveway that he wants to sell. It is a rust free California car that he paid $2,500 to have the A/C fixed plus new Michiline tires before he drove it from California to Texas. Then paid local Buick dealer $1,100 to fix some things. It has 51,000 miles but could stand a new top as the back window is delaminated from the top.

With the purchase price and repairs he has about $13,000 in it and will sell for $10,500

Sight unseen, I cannot say anything about this particular car other than the mileage is perhaps a touch high for the price mentioned. Of course, the condition could be superlative even at 65,000 miles. That said, based on recent trends in convertible pricing, $11,900 may not be overly optimistic. It seems the 'verts are starting to pull away from the pack in terms of pricing and perceived value. This is not unexpected as they are even rarer by an order of magnitude than the coupes, which themselves are not all that common.

Coupe pricing will probably rise as well in the next few years, but there will be a clear divergence in price between the show cars/garage queens and the daily driver/beaters. The latter will continue to fall precipitously as the "restorability" is literally driven out of them and they become suitable for use only as parts cars. The former still have a ways to go to gain the level of respect (and pricing) typical of a collector car. I don't know if they will ever exist in that strata, but there are plenty of reasons to believe they could.

KDirk

Condition is everything. OTOH things spent for repairs just keep value from being detracted, they do not add.

And on the gripping hand people put a lot of value into low milage. For me, super low is as bad as too many, the sweet spot is probably 60-80k evenly divided over the years

At the same time too much spent for a repair must raise questions. I am curious, how does someone spend $2500 on an A/C unless a few things have bullet holes ?

Also a twenty+ year old top is old even if garaged and has no miles. It may look good but things fall off.

My white/burgandy is a work in progress. It needs paint (about $2k), an a/c compressor ($250 if I do it, $750 for a professional), and a top ($1k installed) to be in tippy top resale condition and even at my snail's pace, expect to have it there by April.

Value ? HON. Suspect people will talk about this depression for generations to come but must end someday even if in a worse dislocation.

Padgett,

You raise several good points. I agree on mileage, too low and things have likely been allowed to atrophy [belts, hoses, seals, tires, etc.). This often requires as much work to restore as things that have worn out on a high-mileage car.

Your final point about the economy is prescient and very valid. I try not to bring that up here, although I spend a lot of time thinking about it; and where things go from here. I'll just say that while I wish for things get better in general (and thereby prove the potential value of these cars in the future) I will also say that wishing is a fool's errand. I hate to end on a down note, but "hope" is just a psychological defense mechanism for people who cannot deal with reality as it exists.

'nuff said.

KDirk

Not to hijack the thread, but I also have the same color combo but w/ a black top and a few less miles. The ultimate reason for buying the car (besides that it was a good buy) was to give it to my oldest nephew. He's always borrowing my silver convertible and I figure I'd surprise him with his own Reatta. But..it seems that he'd rather have a more prestigious car (already becoming a Los Angeles snob attorney and hasn't passed the bar yet..or start paying off his law school loans).

So I am at a crossroads whether to keep the car or sell it. I see people asking $14..$15K+ for their cars but doubt they are getting anywhere near that amount.

But sometimes you catch a fish with the right bait and...

Not sure of impact since the first time I have had a car like this but is getting past being an "old car" and more of "what is that ?" About the only indication of being "old" any more are small wheels and no LEDs.

This may be a detriment at an auction.

Kinda like the Judge - back in 1970 I prefered my GS (4spd/ac also) but today I suspect the appreciabilty of the Judge to be better simply because more people recognise the GTO name, demise of Pontiac may actually help. This despite the fact that there were 3600 made.

Kevin, this car pricing/collecting thing is a catch22. If you are trying to sell a car, or have purchased one because you belive it will appreciate, you want prices to go UP.

If you are lusting for a vehicle, you don't know if you should pay asking price or make an offer. If you really want the car, you are afraid someone will pay the asking price or get into a bidding way with another buyer. So you want the prices to go DOWN.

If you were talking NEW cars, you can shop several dealers, check the internet and get a pretty good idea of what the purchase price will be.......... no so with older cars. Also the area of the country and economic condition there, all factor into the prices of these things.

At one time I maintained a chart/graph on Reatta asking prices. I had one chart for coupes and one for convertibles. One leg had the asking price and the other was the mileage (pretty crude, but it gets complicated when you try and track options and colors)

When I checked Ebay, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc, a dot was placed at the intersection of price and mileage and I added a note to the dot for the year. It does give you a trend on the prices and it is very evident when a car is way over or under priced. Might be something you would want to do during the cold winter months.

Padgett you ask how you spend $2,500 on a/c work..... pretty easy when you are in a strange (on offense California) state, don't know the shops and need to get home because you girlfriend is with you and she want A/C.

Barney,

Fully agree with your take on valuation as it relates to whether one is a buyer or seller. As I posted here in another thread recently, I am not that enthused about a huge increase in resale prices. Two reasons really, first being that I may within the next 2-3 years consider buying another (this is highly speculative, but could happen) and second is that if/when the prices go stratospheric, it makes the cost of ownership much greater. This would impact parts cost and insurance rates most notably.

If the Reatta gained that kind of desirability among the well-funded crowd, guys like me could be priced right out the ability to keep our cars. There is also the indigestion one gets from driving a car with a very high [putative] value. I already get nervous driving mine as I have spent a lot of time and money to get them right. If I get into a wreck, it will be a sickening experience. And these cars are not irreplaceable yet.

In a way, I'd kind of enjoy having the Reatta maintain it's "dark horse" status. It has most of the benefits of a collector car without many of the headaches. And to be clear, I did not buy either of mine expecting appreciation in value. Cars, generally speaking, are a terrible investment. Mine are just part of my toy collection of things I enjoy and I do not expect to ever profit from them. If the value goes up, so be it, but I will not be selling to get that money back unless I am starving.

KDirk

• 3 weeks later...

I finally had time to take some pics.

I might take it to the Mecum KC auction. I don't think I'd get what it's worth advertised locally unless we have any serious offers here.

What do you guys think?

I will put it on the lift and take some pics of clean rust free bottom and original exhaust and leak free engine trans etc.

post-81692-143138788202_thumb.jpg

post-81692-14313878821_thumb.jpg

post-81692-143138788216_thumb.jpg

post-81692-143138788222_thumb.jpg

post-81692-143138788228_thumb.jpg

post-81692-143138788237_thumb.jpg

Edited by franc944 (see edit history)

Just some observations from the photos.

The seats, particulary the passanger seat looks worse than average for a car with that mileage. The car does have the 16 way seat option and the CD player.

Aftermarket wheels could go either way with a potential buyer.

The rear shot shows the right reflector is ok, the left one has water in it or it would be reflecting.

I am not going to touch the value.......the car looks like it is average but without seeing it up close, all bets are off.

Yes,

Definitely average. The reflector is fine it is just the angle the flash hit it. I took it off to change bulbs, no leaks.

I was going to respray the cracked seats with SEM Burgundy paint.

I am surprised you didn't pick up on the front bumper cover being out of alignment. I was going to fix that and put the stock wheels back on. I need those 17" for another project. Thanks for checking it out.

Just some observations from the photos.

The seats, particulary the passanger seat looks worse than average for a car with that mileage. The car does have the 16 way seat option and the CD player.

Aftermarket wheels could go either way with a potential buyer.

The rear shot shows the right reflector is ok, the left one has water in it or it would be reflecting.

I am not going to touch the value.......the car looks like it is average but without seeing it up close, all bets are off.

post-81692-143138788273_thumb.jpg

Hey Uncle Bushwack,I've always dreamed how nice it would be to have an uncle in Southern California.Would you like to have another nephew??????? I promise I'll be the most UNSNOBBY ONE YOU could have from North East Ohio.Looking forward to my new Reatta drop top and the anticipated happy result.Cordially your soon to be favorite nephew.Talk to you soon Uncle:D:D

Hey Uncle Bushwack,I've always dreamed how nice it would be to have an uncle in Southern California.Would you like to have another nephew??????? I promise I'll be the most UNSNOBBY ONE YOU could have from North East Ohio.Looking forward to my new Reatta drop top and the anticipated happy result.Cordially your soon to be favorite nephew.Talk to you soon Uncle:D:D
Not to hijack the thread, but I also have the same color combo but w/ a black top and a few less miles. The ultimate reason for buying the car (besides that it was a good buy) was to give it to my oldest nephew. He's always borrowing my silver convertible and I figure I'd surprise him with his own Reatta. But..it seems that he'd rather have a more prestigious car (already becoming a Los Angeles snob attorney and hasn't passed the bar yet..or start paying off his law school loans).

So I am at a crossroads whether to keep the car or sell it. I see people asking $14..$15K+ for their cars but doubt they are getting anywhere near that amount.

But sometimes you catch a fish with the right bait and...

Heh, I'm already in line. ;):D

X2. Really to get top dollar you gotta go to Hemmings.

X3. Hemmings is THE place to go for selling you car if you want to get top dollar. Don't waste your time with free advertising. Most of the buyers you're aiming for are looking in places that require you pay to advert there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 68vwdubb

Well, speaking from my own experience, if you really anticipate getting top dollar, get ready for the long haul. In todays market, to obtain top dollar it may take a Year or More to find the right buyer at top asking price. So after 1 week, I really wouldn't expect too much. In my opinion, if you plan to sell it within a month or less, you're going to have to lower your expectations Quite a bit on the asking price. You have to remember, most people that buy Reatta convertibles are buying them as pleasure vehicles, not daily drivers. And lets be honest, people today have a lot less disposable income to work with than even 5 years ago. Just my 2 cents and speaking from my own experience.

Ok no bites

Any tips?

I will be honest with you. I hope you aren't offended. The photos you have on Hemmings are poor quality and don't convey the feeling of a quality car. You are completing with the big boys when you list your car in Hemmings and you have to make your car look it's best to do that. I'm not saying your car isn't nice, just the photos give a buyer the feeling that it is rough around the edges. Also I think the photos of the underside of the car, showing all the rust, is killing your chance of making a top dollar sale. At the very least you should have left them off.

Tips:

As Marck said, put the wheels on the car that you are selling it with. Make adjustment on the hood so the margin along the front is equal all the way across.

Pay a few bucks to have a professional detail the car inside and out, including taking care of the surface rust under the car.

Take high quality photos in a location that compliments the car, like a city park or in front of a historic building. The garage photos distract from the feeling of luxury which is what you want to convey with photos of your Reatta convertible. Your photos shouldn't just show the car. They should make the buyer want that car!

Well, speaking from my own experience, if you really anticipate getting top dollar, get ready for the long haul. In todays market, to obtain top dollar it may take a Year or More to find the right buyer at top asking price. So after 1 week, I really wouldn't expect too much. In my opinion, if you plan to sell it within a month or less, you're going to have to lower your expectations Quite a bit on the asking price. You have to remember, most people that buy Reatta convertibles are buying them as pleasure vehicles, not daily drivers. And lets be honest, people today have a lot less disposable income to work with than even 5 years ago. Just my 2 cents and speaking from my own experience.

I agree. You will be sitting on your car for probably at least 3 months. But someone will call and just say "where do I send the money".

If you need it gone fast, lower the asking price to about $8,000.

And trust me, a professional detail and a photo shoot in a city park or something as Ronnie said will make the car about 20x more attractive.

I'm speaking from experience of selling my own cars, as well as helping customers sell theirs.

I agree, you just posted pictures, your not "selling" the car, and as soon as I saw that underside shot, I clicked off the ad.

Get the car outside, take pictures that will make a buyer WANT your car. All I wanted to do was click off the ad. Best to scrap the underside shots!

In all honesty, maybe wait a month or so, let the spring time come and peoples excitement for summer days, and thoughts of taking trips to the lake with the top down will help you sell your car.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will get some better pictures. There was snow on the ground when I wanted to place the ad which is why I did not get any outside pics.

I have about 8 hours of detailing into the car. It was buffed and detailed by a professional and I. Does the car look dirty?

What should I put in the ad to get people to know I'd consider lower offers than the other cars on that site?

As for the wheels I haven't painted the stock ones yet and am trying to buy another set from an eBay seller .