Anyone ever see this type DB sign?

keiser31

Bob,Dave and Phil I found that sign about 10 years ago on the rear of a DB ute.It was fixed to the tail light bracket. I dont know its origin may have been made localy here in Australia I have never seen any others and was just curious.The ute was about a 25 model.Thankyou John for posting the picture as I'm a Technology Retard when it comes to computors

I have seen that lettering style used in DB advertising; remembering it to be very modern for the time.

No question whoever made this was trying to emulate the official typeface Dodge used in its promotions. But if you look closely at the two "E"s you'll notice that the one in "Dodge" has a center bar extending past the top and bottom bars (like the original official font), while the one in "Brothers" has a short center bar. Being a graphic designer serving businesses myself, I can't believe that would ever fly with a corporation as large as the DBC.

Quote.....How about an above-average Joe, then

Aint that the truth

For some reason it reminds me of a later sign, does not look like lettering from the twenties before if that makes sense, reminds me of D.B script from 30s

1930....Actually the lettering is the same (or near copy) of '20's if not eariler (all the way back?).It matches the lettering on the picture of a "Dodge Brothers Approved Servive Station" sign appearing in my Book of Information,18thedition,Sept.1926. Maybe someone with earlier cars can confirm how far back this sign dates. I also have the actual double sided sign but it is undated.

I also agree that the "E" in Brothers is not typical.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I thought this sign was cool so I went all CSI on it. There are a couple of things worth mentioning.

1. The sign appears to me to have been hand cut with some sort of snips that leave a striated pattern on the edge of the metal. If you look closely at the bottom right edge and the top left edge you will see the pattern. These marks on the cut surface are consistent with the marks left by modern day "aviation snips" which I am familiar with. I don't know how long aviation snips have been around but surely not back in the Dodge Brothers era. There may have been other tools that leave similar marks though. The fact that these marks only show up on those particular edges is also consistent with how you would hand cut those curves with left and right snips.. On the other curves , the striated marks would show on the waste metal from the cut

2. The left hand side internal corner seems to have a bit of overcut. I have put a circle around it on the attached pic. Your metal shop teacher in high school probably warned you about doing this when you cut sheet metal with snips.

My conclusion is that the sign may have been cut more recently out of another older sign that may have originally been a dealer or service agent sign so this could be its second incarnation and most likely a one off piece and therefore almost impossible to put a date on.

I still think it is cool. :cool:

post-84687-14313906997_thumb.jpg

I can assure you it was not cut from another sign. If you look carefully at the area where the porcelain is no broken you will see a nice rounded edge Try cutting an old porcelain pot with snips and see what happens You have both failed your dectectives exam so its back to walking the beat for you both Cheers Ron

If I am allowed to indulge my theory before I get my coat and head back to traffic duty.....I wonder of some of the edges are the original sign edges??? I presume the top and maybe the top corners are the nice round edges you are refering to Ron? The others edges still look hand cut to me. So maybe some original and some "newer" edges?

No, I've not tried to cut one of these signs with snips either so I'm just working with my gut on this!

Oh well, whatever the true story is we've had some fun, (apart from Jason that is....) :)

:cool: Something like that would work well on the back end of my ute! Even if it is expensive let me know and I'll see what can be done about it. Thanks heaps.

Or maybe I can just cut one out of an old porcelain sign with my aviation snips.....:P

If I am allowed to indulge my theory before I get my coat and head back to traffic duty.....I wonder of some of the edges are the original sign edges??? I presume the top and maybe the top corners are the nice round edges you are refering to Ron? The others edges still look hand cut to me. So maybe some original and some "newer" edges?

No, I've not tried to cut one of these signs with snips either so I'm just working with my gut on this!

Oh well, whatever the true story is we've had some fun, (apart from Jason that is....) :)

Im always having fun..............BTW these new emoticons stink, I hope they make fixing them a priority

Hi all, It seems that this may just be an Aussie sign as I have owned a few of them over the years and may have one still buried under lots of stuff. (please don't ask me to search for it) It's one of those things that will be found by accident.

Simpson was one enamel sign maker here in Adelaide and I can't remember the others right now. This sign is definately not a one off. In fact they may still be available as reproductions as I believe I saw one in the lasr few years.

I too have a D.A. Rodster ute and lots of motors and other spares.

Cheers Beetles

Guest DP_3Window

I believe that this is nothing more than a period accessory.

Accesory items of every imaginable type were made for just about every make of car ever made from as early as the mid teens. [& probably earlier]

Many accessories were of a local manufacture in various parts of the world & enamel sign making was a well known technology before WW2 & limited production runs were not a problem.

Here in NSW, pre early 30's, the registrtion authorities would issue only a single number plate [licence plate] which was to be affixed to the rear of the vehicle. The front plate was to be provided by the car owner & one coule order a matching enamel plate from at least one supplier in Sydney.

By definition the production run would be one-only, so it is entirely possible/probable that this sign is an original, just not a genuine Dodge Brothers part.

Hi all, It seems that this may just be an Aussie sign as I have owned a few of them over the years and may have one still buried under lots of stuff. (please don't ask me to search for it) It's one of those things that will be found by accident.

Simpson was one enamel sign maker here in Adelaide and I can't remember the others right now. This sign is definately not a one off. In fact they may still be available as reproductions as I believe I saw one in the lasr few years.

I too have a D.A. Rodster ute and lots of motors and other spares.

Cheers Beetles

I believe that this is nothing more than a period accessory.

Accesory items of every imaginable type were made for just about every make of car ever made from as early as the mid teens. [& probably earlier]

Many accessories were of a local manufacture in various parts of the world & enamel sign making was a well known technology before WW2 & limited production runs were not a problem.

Here in NSW, pre early 30's, the registrtion authorities would issue only a single number plate [licence plate] which was to be affixed to the rear of the vehicle. The front plate was to be provided by the car owner & one coule order a matching enamel plate from at least one supplier in Sydney.

By definition the production run would be one-only, so it is entirely possible/probable that this sign is an original, just not a genuine Dodge Brothers part.

Well, where were you guys 6 months ago when this thread started?!! I wouldn't have had to have stuck my neck out!

Great info. I'll get back in my box now.....:o

Beetles Bailey, I have sent you a PM.