Studebaker question

Guest prs519

A few posts down an unidentified rather aerodynamic looking car is identified as a 1937 Studebaker. Then insinuation is made that the model is a Dictator, although I see nothing that would point to that said in any of the posts. My question is this: I know Studebaker carried a model line called the Dictator which ran into the 1930s. My understanding is that this line was terminated due to the fact that Hitler was already receiving anything but rave revues, and they did not want Studebaker associated with such characters. Is this true, and also, what year was Dictator pre empted?

Thanks

The Dictator name was first used in 1927, along with the bigger Commander and President models. There were various reorganisations of the model line over the years and for 1936 and 1937 there was no Commander. From 1938 the Dictator was renamed Commander. How much bearing Hitler had on the name change I don't know. He had been in power for some years before Studebaker dropped the name and he wasn't the only dictator. Mussolini came top powere even earlier - 1922? As others have pointed out it was obviously a contentious point as in some export markets it was called a Director - which if you think about it could be regarded as a synonym.