1940 Ford Deluxe convertible club coupe

Guest cali40ford

Guest cali40ford

I like cars from the 60’s and usually that’s what I’m interested in restoring but things change.ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>

I happened to stumble on a 1940 Ford Deluxe convertible in original condition <O:p></O:p>

(it appears?). It was probably restored at least 20 years ago, I plan to fully restore it.<O:p></O:p>

Now I need help since I know very little about cars from the 40’s. Reading on the internet about this year model car I was able to figure out where the serial number is on the chassis as well as on the transmission case. Does it have any ID plates anywhere else? How do you check color options? <O:p></O:p>

What about the flathead 85hp, what kind of markings should I look for and where?<O:p></O:p>

Where are the best replacement part sources in the US? Where can I get a build sheet for a car this old, is there a place where I can get some history on it? If you need more pictures, I’ll be happy to oblige. <O:p></O:p>

Any information would be appreciated! <O:p></O:p>

post-81623-143138761182_thumb.jpg

Guest harvard davis

I am a member of the early ford v8 club, i think you should into joing this club, there are people there that can answer just about any question you can imagine.I have a 42 ford sedan,and I have gotten a lot of help from the members of my local club

Guest cali40ford

Hello Harvard,

Thanks for your suggestion, I’ll do that.

At first glance the car definitively needs an original top and the convertible structure also needs to be de-chromed. I guess that was the personal taste of the previous owner, I definitively want the original look.

Some friends at the classic car club I belong to here in Cali say that it might be a 1943 flathead engine; I need to find out how to differentiate the year models. The car looks pretty good as is but if I’m going to ship it back to the States why not make it the best I can. Restoration labor costs here are a fraction of what it would cost in the US and I’m sure you know how much a perfectly restored 40 Ford vert goes for nowadays!

I’m including some pictures before and after of a Valiant that I bought for $850 bucks in Iowa thru Ebay so you can get an idea of what I’m talking about. I’m also including some more pictures of the 1940 Ford; it even has the original fender skirts.

If anyone out there knows about these engines, I would appreciate the information.

post-81623-143138766877_thumb.jpg

post-81623-143138766878_thumb.jpg

post-81623-143138766882_thumb.jpg

post-81623-14313876689_thumb.jpg

post-81623-143138766892_thumb.jpg

post-81623-143138766895_thumb.jpg

post-81623-143138766898_thumb.jpg

post-81623-143138766901_thumb.jpg

post-81623-143138766904_thumb.jpg

Guest cali40ford

Thanks for the info, this makes it very easy to verify if it's a 1940 engine. I'm almost finished restoring a 72 mb 450 sl, hopefully I will sell it soon so I have some spare money to invest on restoring this Ford. Take care <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Guest cali40ford

As far as I’ve been able to find out, this car has only had two owners. I plan to gather as much history as I can on the car as well as pictures when I have it taken apart and put it back together in the condition it deserves to be. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I hope to start working on this car in three or four months, I’ll email some pictures once I have.

Guest cali40ford
The top does look odd, but very practical. To actually be able to see back there, amazing. Neat car.

Jim43

Thanks for your comment ! but when I start redoing the car that will be the first thing to go , it is practical though ...... and ugly !

Have a great day

Guest cali40ford
Go to Ford Flathead Engines - VanPelt Sales, LLC for information about the engine and for parts. There are lots of sources for parts for 40 Fords. Virtually everything except the engine block, transmission, rear axle and base body shell are reproduced.

As far as I can tell everything is original in the car. I'll have to wait and see what kind of condition the sheetmetal is in .

thanks for the tip !