1954 Buick Spare Tire & Jack Questions

Fred Zwicker

Trunk Decal: Does anyone reproduce a trunk decal for Jacking Instructions and/or Jack Storage? Bob's in CA does not list and CARS shows almost every year except for 1954. I called CARS this AM and they checked to be sure, and do not have such a decal or any such information at this time. If I could see a picture of such a decal, could have our art department reconsruct the details. Some say that the '54 Buick never had such a decal. If so, how would the owner know how to store the jack when not in use, so that it does not rattle around in the trunk?

Jack Storage: I am wondering how the jack post, jack base plate, jack curved head and lug wrench were stowed when car was delivered. A Jack Storage Bag was available as an accessory, but I am not sure if this bag was included with every car in 1954? If not, how to store all of the above so that they do not rattle around or damage the trunk lining?

Spare Attachment: My '54 Special has an angle bolt to hold the spare in place with a hex nut about 2" long, not a wing nut. I m almost certain that this nut is original. Does the angle bolt go through the large center hole of the wheel with the jack base plate attached, or through one of the lug nut holes with the hex nut to hold spare in place without the jack base plate?

Placement: Also there are differences of opinion regarding the placement of the spare tire in the trunk. Some say the outside of the tire should face into the center of the trunk - others say this side of the tire should face the right rear fender. It seems to me that if spare was a whitewall, if it faced the fender, the whitewall would get scuffed against the metal plate on right side of opening.

I posted the same questions on the 1954 Buick Forum and am getting mixed opinions. If anyone has an original 1954 Buick, please check and let me know. However 1954 Buicks had different models, so it is possible that not all had the same arrangemeents. Specifically my car is a '54 Buick Riviera Special 2dr. HT and we are just completing a one-year body-off restoration.

Thanks, Fred

Thanks Mike,

I see that you have the whitewall facing towads the inside of the trunk, which is the way I prefer, but some say it should be facing the inside of the right rear fender. Now I am wondering if the '54 did not have the spring to hold the jack, where was the jack stored without tearing up the trunk lining? I know that Buick sold accessory jack storage bags, but maybe they also included one with each car in 1954?

Attached are some pictures of my trunk in process, as well as a picture of an original 1954 Buick trunk, which has the original Jack Storage Bag. Whether this bag was included with the car when new, or if purchased as an option I do not know. It seems to me that since there was no designated area to store the jack, it just might have been possible the Buick furnished a Jack Storage Bag when car was new?

Maybe others can figure this out.

Fred

post-48037-143138761031_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138761036_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138761039_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138761042_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138761149_thumb.jpg

I don't think the angled bolt will work from a geometric standpoint if the wheel is backwards. The center of the wheel is too close to the outside of the car when the whitewall is out, thus making the threaded part too short. At least my argument sounds feasible :)

From a cleanliness perspective, it is just stupid to mount the whitewall out. When you tighten the nut, it would pull the whitewall against the trunk, smudging it badly. Stop listening to the backwards wheel folk, Fred.

As for the bag, that is Lamar's call.

Fitty fo's didn't have the spring to hold the jack, but for $2.75 you could buy a jack sack as a dealer installed accessory. Otherwise it was just pitched in between the spare tire and fender and left to bounce around I reckon. And as I said earlier, I have never seen jacking instructions in a 54.

The trunk is lookin good Fred. Great job. BTW, I see you decided to cover the bolt up.:)

post-31987-143138761229_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138761237_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Fitty fo's didn't have the spring to hold the jack, but for $2.75 you could buy a jack sack as a dealer installed accessory. Otherwise it was just pitched in between the spare tire and fender and left to bounce around I reckon. And as I said earlier, I have never seen jacking instructions in a 54.

The trunk is lookin good Fred. Great job. BTW, I see you decided to cover the bolt up.:)

For sure I don't want my nice new trunk material all scuffed up, so will order one of the Jack Storage Bags for $2.75 (sounds like a great deal to me). I am hoping that I can get a light brown one to go with the trunk lining, but I guess other colors were offered. If Buick is out of stock, I heard there is some old guy in Ohio who makes these up, but he is expensive and gives slow delivery!

As for the body bolt, I have seen pictures of some with this bolt going through the upholstery on each side and some without. In fact the picture posted in my previous post shows an (old) original '54 trunk (with Jack Storage Bag) and I cannot see any body bolt/nut/washer going through the trunk lining. So far mine is without, as didn't want to do any drilling until I was doubly (make it triply) sure of what is correct. Any ideas on this? When I take the car for judging, don't want to miss anything such as this.

Now when I get my Jack Storage Bag, I am thinking that the angle bolt that goes through the spare tire wheel is held in place only by a 2" long hex nut and not through the bottom plate of the jack, as there is a compartment in the top of the Jack Storage Bag for this - at least that's what it seems to be. I also am of the opinion that the whitwall spare tire should face towards the center of the trunk, but there is a lot of difference of opinion - something like deciding if the end of a roll of toilet paper comes off the top or the bottom - no one has the answer!

Part of the jack in my car was broken and in the process of trying to figure out what it looked like, have determined that I do not have an original '54 Buick jack, so am now looking for a replacement. Are there any out there?

Here are a couple of pictures of my '54 - Gull Grey with black top. Since these pictures were taken, we have installed the front fenders, hood, grille, front and rear bumpers. Hoping to start on the interior in about another week.

Fred

post-48037-143138761253_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138761503_thumb.jpg