'39 Buick Accesories?

jvelde

Guest Grant Magrath

I'd be keen to see that list too John. At least with my 39 Chevy, you could get a reproduction factory accessory catalogue.

Anyway, who's to say that someone back in, say, January 1939, go to the local auto accessory store and buy a Fulton visor?

Cheers

Grant

Grant,

The '39 Shop Manual lists the following accessories: Radio, Norol, Car Heater, Electric Watches, Wheel Moldings, License Plate Frames, Folding Rear Center Bumper Guards, Fog Lamps, Exhaust Pipe Trim, Seat Covers, Radiator Grill Covers, Bug Screens, and Etc... It's the etcetera I'm interested in learning about. I looked at the '38 Shop Manual to see if the visors showed up in it, and they do not. However there is an etc. following that list as well.

I have seen Accessory books listed for sale for other years, but I have not run across one for '39. Does anyone remember seeing one to even know if there was one issued?

Thanks,

John V.

Ah-ha!I found one on the Buick Heritage Alliance. I really don't want to buy the book, but if no one comes forth I guess it will be my Christmas present to myself. So, if you have one of these, please let me know what you find.

Thanks, John V.

Buick Accessories Facts Book 1939

Buick Accessories Facts Book, 21 pages. Item is printed in black & white. Presents, illustrates, and prices the dealer installed accessories available from Buick in 1939. Contains difficult to locate 1939 accessory information

1939.Buick.Accessories.jpg

As a '39 owner I found it interesting that the '39 only "Stream-Boards" were a no cost option on the Series 40 & 60.

According to the information I received from the Heritage Alliance, the following were Factory installed options......

* Oil bath air cleaner and oil filter $10

* Special paint $40

* Oil filter $5

* Front fender lamps $7.50

* Heater/defroster $26.50

* Sonomatic Radio (which I think was the first year of push button) $63.00

Series 40 only

* Group including chrome wheel rings, licens plate frames & clock $20 (5 wheel) $22 (6 wheel)

* Flexible steering wheel $12.50

*Chrome window reveals on Model 41,46,46S, 61 =$25

* Sunshine turret top model 41, 48, & 61 only = $37.50

* rear wheel shields all models $15

* special gear ratio, series 40 & 60 only.... no charge

That leaves all the other accessories to be dealer installed.

Thanks Barney, I love the pricing of these accessories.

Grant, hush-up on me being the Accessory Guy, Barney seems to have that covered.

Now we just need a list of the Dealer Installed Accessories available, which I suppose might be anything one decided to get their local dealer to track down and install.

John V.

My '39 is completely "accessorized" the people that did the restoration put everything on it.

As you can see from the picture, it has fog lamps, fender lamps, sunvisor, spotlights, streaming boards, and it had fender skirts but I thought it looked better without them.

post-30596-14313876071_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

Yep!

Like you said John. On my 39 Chevy it was called a truck guard, or something similar. Essentially a big center mounted bumper guard front and rear. Rear one hinged down to clear the trunk when it opened. Didn't know Buick had them.

Cheers

Grant

I've never seen anything but the flexible one on a '39.

Mine has the holes for the fender lights, but no lights. I am debating whether to put them on considering the price for "correct" ones. Mine also has a heater, not a Buick heater, some other brand. I am debating leaving it off too. The only issue is that they ran the hoses right through my ID plate. Decisions, decisions.

Guest Grant Magrath

I've seen a standard 39 steering wheel. Just a 3 spoked bakelite one. But as you said Billy, pretty much everyone went with the "flexible". Maybe it refers to the horn ring?

If you come across some fender lights with no lenses, grab them. We can sort you out with some perspex reproduction ones. I would recommend wiring them up as indicators. As far as your heater goes, I suppose you have until the car's ready for paint to decide. But looking at all the hard work you've done so far to get your car bang on.........!

Cheers

Grant

Guest DaveCorbin

Ok, guys:

Here's one for you:

Full chrome wheels!

Source: 1941 parts book, service parts price $25 per wheel. Takes 6 for a Roadmaster, $150 in 1941 dollars! Bit pricey!

They were available for all 1938, 1939, and 1940 Buicks.

Barney, it still needs these!

Regards, Dave Corbin

"Flexible" refers to the steering wheels equipped with a horn ring. These wheels were also the ones with the ivory or maroon plastic rims. Although the "flexible" wheel was an option on the Series 40, it was so widely ordered to the extent that, today, when many people see the standard wheel as shown in jvelde's post, it's authenticity is wrongly questioned.

Grant, are you catching any of the JBWere Masters golf tournament in your area this week? I'm watching it on TV right now.

John V.

Tis a little far for Grant: another country. Its in Melbourne now.:good weather for golf

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/golf-2011/doug-holloway-closes-on-jbwere-masters-leader-ian-poulter/story-fnalpkga-1226223584283

Guest Grant Magrath

A bit far away as Allan says, John, but not impossible, as my studio has cable and there's only a 2 hour time difference. Not really a golf fan. But I am VERY interested in the Texans! Tough road from here with all the injuries they've had. Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Grant