HPOF Judging

Guest rwmerz

I received the new information on HPOF judging. Will the new criteria for the new Original class in HPOF be available to review and print on line or thru Headquarters.

Will the new meet registrations offer the option to be judged in HPOF or The new Original class

Please advise Rick Merz 59121

I got my HPOF letter the other day too. Near the bottom of the cover letter it said "We have enclosed the exact rules for the new class along with a sheet listing the cars that we currently have on file..." and "We are enclosing a facsimile of the new registration card...". I got a sheet in my letter showing how this Original designation works with/within HPOF with a view of a reg card at the bottom.

Two questions now:

1. Is this a new class or a designation within HPOF? I thought the latter until the statement above. I think the "class within a class" is confusing personally.

2. What is the criteria for this designation? As asked before it it just a higher percentage of originality or something else. What is the purpose of this if a car is already HPOF, an honorable distinction in itself?

Guest Siegfried

I have to admit that I am also a bit confused.

My confusion is about the percentage of the car that will have to be original for the original designation.

I would think that the 2012 Judging manual should spell it out for us.

Now another question. The original HPOF badge did not indicate the year received. Is there any thought on how to designate the year for the older HPOF badges?

The new 2012 Guideline will have all the changes. The AACA Original class was done in response to feedback we got from members. HPOF has been a unique class in that we were trying to preserve orginal features. AACA Original cars will be almost entirely orginal...not just some of the major components. It is a class within HPOF and can be viewed something like a Junior and a Senior.

Guest Stonefish

Ok….here is a question or scenario that I'd like some feedback on:

My 19k original mile Squareback…made First Junior award level. It took quite a few attempts to reach this plateau…but for an all original car, it was quite an accomplishment.

But…going forward…going for it's Senior, the car really can't compete against restored cars..it has some paint chips, cosmoline stains and some other real minor flaws that will keep it from becoming a Senior (especially with a 10 point rule in place).

My question is; Why can't this car swing over into this new original class? I know the rule book says that an award winning car can not flip into this class….but why not?? If you think (and apparently the judges do to) that the car has reached it's max level of award prestige…to take it into a class that offers another type of recognition that is appropriate? Otherwise…It will end up back in the ever popular 04B class (whoops did I say that) as a DNJ (whoops…again).

197486_1010626476386_1546726137_30024786_5414_n.jpg

As currently written, the rules would dictate that 10 years after you won the first junior, you could return it and then register in HPOF. I would petition the class judging committee to change the rules to remove the time requirement. With the change from 35 years to 25 years for HPOF, it would seem that some of the related sections of the rules have to be (or have just been) rewritten anyway. I would think that it would not be too difficult to convince them to make this change, as it seems to be a reasonable response to your particular situation. While I could understand the desire to minimize the amount of folks who want to switch between classes, due to the logistics involved for the club, I don't think that a lot of folks would be interested in switching classes. Only a small number of people would be in a position such as yourself to want to do this.

"A vehicle that has won a First Junior

Award cannot then enter the HPOF or

DPC class. The only exception would be

if it is after 10 years since it won the First

Junior Award and elects to return any

award badges (ie, junior, senior, AGNM) to

AACA and implement the Recycle option.

A vehicle that has won a 2nd Junior

or 3rd Junior award or no award

competing in the Junior class can

enter either the HPOF or DPC class."

If I were you, I would ask to be allowed to return the First Junior and start over in HPOF, so that you can compete for the New AACA Original designation.

I think the rules are pretty clear that you have to choose one way or the other to go. You can't have your cake and eat it too. From your description, it seems that the HPOF is where the car naturally belongs.

Guest Stonefish

I understand it is in the rules...other than eating the cake and such...not sure why it would matter if a car could carry both awards if it is worthy....all I'm saying.

I also received the mentioned letter. In the letter it mentioned that there was a listing of the cars owned that had received HPOF. That we were to review and submit any changes. My letter did not contain a lisiting of the cars owned / awarded HPOF. Was I the only one missing this in the packet ? I know my Father no longer owns some HPOF Awarded cars. Have not checked it he received this same packet.

Thanks

Guest Siegfried

The listing for my HPOF's wasn't with my letter either. :)

Not a problem since they're in the headquartes computer files.

Steve gave a good description of what will be considered original. I sort of thought this was the way it would go. Seems to me that this will be a really good thing for those of us with original HPOF cars. I'll be looking forward to the 2012 Judging Manual. Is it February yet?:D

On another note, I have to agree with Stonefish about his Squareback. It's a really nice car, and rather rare. Type 3 Volkswagens are not high on most VW collector lists unless it is a T3 Notchback, or T3 Karmann Ghia. This Squareback would easily get the new HPOF Original award if shown in the HPOF class. But giving up his First Junior, or Senior for the new Original award is a tough decision to make. Good luck!

I wonder if there will a new National award for the HPOF Original category. Hope so. :)

Would be neat to see a VW Rabbit get the new award. ;) I know there is one out there in south-central Pa, and it sure isn't mine. :D Hint, hint...

Guest Siegfried

I have just one more comment that I'd like to share.

The idea to put more emphasis on HPOF and DPC is one of the best changes to date. Changing HPOF to 25 years, and adding the Original classification to HPOF fantastic. :)

Moving HPOF and DPC to the entrance to a show field is another really good move. :cool:

Maybe ALL the national meets will feature this change for 2012?? Hint, hint ;)

Guest Siegfried

I was there with my '63 Karmann Ghia, and loved the 35 year change. Was looking forward to 2012 when my AMC Hornet turned 35 so I could move from DPC to HPOF. Looks like I'll get there even though it's an extra 10 years for Horny.