Aftermarket radio install...

ptt

With the excellent replacement ECC unit from Mr. Finn I have started replacing the previous aftermarket radio and ECC that a thief seemed to think they couldnt live without. I have spliced the Climate Control unit in and its working fine but the new radio looks like its going to be a different story (sizewise). I have it spliced into the cars original radio harness and it plays great but mounting it securely in the dash is another story. The replacement radio somewhat smaller than the OEM radio and Im wondering just what to do about a mounting bracket. Is there a place that handles mounting brackets? Radio Shack maybe? The new radio (name brand is "DUAL") came with a front bezel but its just for ascetics and serves no mounting purpose. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

You may need to go online to order a kit. Metra (Metra Online | Welcome to Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse) makes build in kits for many years and models of cars. What you will need is a GM mounting kit to put a single DIN (standard height) radio into a 1.5 DIN (strange specification used only by GM and Chrysler for a few years in the late 80's to mid 90's) opening. These kits can be ordered through Amazon, or many other places that specialize in car audio. Definitely get a Metra kit though, there are some other brands that are not as good for fit or finish.

Also, when your radio and ECC were stolen, did they take (or damage) the two vertical plastic side-rail mounts that hold the two units into the dash? If so you will need to replace these with factory parts, as they are not supplied with the Metra kits.

KDirk

You may need to go online to order a kit. Metra (Metra Online | Welcome to Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse) makes build in kits for many years and models of cars. What you will need is a GM mounting kit to put a single DIN (standard height) radio into a 1.5 DIN (strange specification used only by GM and Chrysler for a few years in the late 80's to mid 90's) opening. These kits can be ordered through Amazon, or many other places that specialize in car audio. Definitely get a Metra kit though, there are some other brands that are not as good for fit or finish.

Also, when your radio and ECC were stolen, did they take (or damage) the two vertical plastic side-rail mounts that hold the two units into the dash? If so you will need to replace these with factory parts, as they are not supplied with the Metra kits.

KDirk

As far as I can tell the thief took both the EEC and radio along with the two vertical mounts. Jim Finn sent replacements along with the EEC plug that left with the stolen EEC unit. Ill check into that site. Thanks!

I visited the local Auto-Audio Shop and found that the METRA adaptor kit #99-4500 is the one needed for my '90 Reatta Coupe. The only problem is this type adaptor kit requires that the OEM radio bracket be used. The thief absconded with the radio, EEC head unit and the needed OEM bracket altogether. I dont know if this bracket is plastic or metal. Guy at the store thought that there are many GM models/years that used that particular type radio mount. Probably late 80s thru early 90s???? At least I have the replacement ECC unit in and have heat functioning. All this damage for a lousy $15 Sony AM/FM single disc player! I would have gave them the darn radio! It wasnt the best or even average. Just an ambient noise maker in my opinion. Gotta get that Factory alarm back up and working. The replacement radio (DUAL brand) has the antennae on the opposite side so I had to get a 12in antennae extention. $10 for that!! Its already cost over $100 and still no radio mounted....all for a lousy cheapie radio thats less than $20 on Craigslist. I have retrieved my MOULTRIE trail cam from the woods after deer season and have it pointed at the driveway now. I know its like closing the barn door after the horses have got out but the trailcam has IR capability and takes video also. From experience these scumbags dont like slithering around in the dark in single digit winter weather unless theres a Bose or Blaupunkt class unit involved. Its a shame one cant have anything much less anything nice without these bottomfeeders taking it. Thanks all who have responded! Youre all the best! Happy Holidays!

ptt-

The factory "brackets" are just the two plastic vertical side rails. I don't recall now (it has been 3+ years since I installed an aftermarket setup in my 91) but I think I had to do some light modification to mount the Metra "shell" to the side rails, which then are screwed into the dash opening on either side of the radio pocket.

I will have to look at my 91 with the dash trim bezel removed to get you a better explanation. I may try to do that tomorrow, as I need to pull my headlight switch and change the backlighting bulbs in it (two are burned out!). Will post back here after I have looked at it closely, to see if I can offer any more helpful information.

KDirk

ptt-

The factory "brackets" are just the two plastic vertical side rails. I don't recall now (it has been 3+ years since I installed an aftermarket setup in my 91) but I think I had to do some light modification to mount the Metra "shell" to the side rails, which then are screwed into the dash opening on either side of the radio pocket.

I will have to look at my 91 with the dash trim bezel removed to get you a better explanation. I may try to do that tomorrow, as I need to pull my headlight switch and change the backlighting bulbs in it (two are burned out!). Will post back here after I have looked at it closely, to see if I can offer any more helpful information.

KDirk

Jim Finn sent me those two verticle plastic brackets. The new replacement radio has a metal "sleeve" that the radio slides into but at 7inx7inx2in its not anywhere near big enough to fit snug to those OEM plastic brackets. The adaptor kit (99-4500) is basically the plastic that surrounds the face of the new DIN style radio. The original Reatta radio that came in the car has a horizontal "L" bracket across the top of the radio that appears to be what is needed to hold the aftermarket unit in place. Im assuming the metal "sleeve" that came with the new radio attaches to the two OEM verticle plastic brackets and the radio slides into it. OEM horizontal bracket across the top screws into METRA bezel. METRA 1/2' extented Bezel surrounds the radio after trimming the two shaft plates as the new unit is a single knob DIN unit. Almost be easier to find a working GM AM/FM/CD unit from the pick-n-pull out of something that fits the Reatta dash....w/o the adapter kit! Im not one who wants or needs 150dB 1K Amp boom-boom sound. Thats for the ricers. I suffer Tinnitus from the war and the radio is a source of ambient noise for me that covers up the hissing and ringing in my ears. I do enjoy music but just dont need window shaking noise just to get noticed. Ill figure it out eventually Again, thanks all!