Got my Carriage house ready for the car!

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

Well, I finally did it! I have been working on, and restoring my old carriage house (I thought it was a garage), and the old 37 Pontiac fits in rather well. I thought it was going to be a real tight fit, but as it turns out, there is plenty of room.

I did get some bad news though. After pulling my car in the garage, I went through the trunk, only to be horrified by finding a rats nest inside! The not-so-little varmit had removed some of the cotton padding from behind the back seat, but this damage was minor. While I was taking things out to clean, the rat/mouse jumped out and took off! Well, the critter had come through the rusted holes in the tool compartment in the very back of the trunk, so now that I have these openings blocked off, I am in hopes the he/she will NOT pay me or my Pontiac another visit. Fortunately, he never made it into the interior, so there doesn't appear to be any other damage.

Is there anything that you guys/gals have found that will help keep these critters away from our cars?

Guest ken bogren

I had a mouse that built a nest in the top storage area of my 63 Falcon using the padding from the rear seat backrest nest. No more problem in 2 - 3 years after I started putting dryer sheets behind and under the seats.

I live right next to a large farm field, so there is no shortage of the little critters looking for lodging.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you guys for the feed-back! I would be concerned with the bucket idea because I have 2 dogs, and if they get into int antifreeze, it would be trouble. The dogs have access to the garage at all times.

Well, I found out last night that I don't believe I am dealing with mice, but rats. I saw a huge one in the yard last night, and an even bigger one (dead) where the car had been parked in the driveway. That darn thing looked more like a small cat! I have been putting rat poison out under the house, but I have to be careful because of my dogs. Right now I am wondering what to do.

Before I started to restore the carriage house, the rats/mice were probably in there. It was full of junk, now it is all cleaned up, so they moved elsewhere...unfortunately, it wasn't in someone elses yard!

I live in a heavily wooded area so field mice are a problem. Last spring I took 'Agnes' (the '50 Packard) to the first local car show of the year. Upon opening the trunk to remove a fold-up chair I immediately saw mouse droppings and cotton batting forming a nest in the corner of the trunk. I was very, very lucky that there was no damage to the upholstery or headliner. I used baited snap traps to eliminate the mice from the car and garage.

I now keep the garage doors closed and use only the screened windows for ventilation. Keeping the garage closed has solved the problem. I put two snap type traps in the trunks of each of my cars as extra insurance (they do work, just don't forget they are there). Even with the car windows closed and all air ducts shut, the mice can usually find their way in if they have access to the car.

Guest Gary Hearn

To eliminate your critters find a piece of natural sponge and fully infuse it with bacon grease drippings. The critters love it and soon the salt will have them looking for water. Once the water expands the sponge your problem is solved.

Jim,

The LARGE rat snap traps (as opposed to the mice traps) are the best way to go. Put them somewhere in the gararge where the dogs can't get to them. (I have always been concerned about the dogs getting ahold of poision or a poisoned mouse or rat)

Peanut butter is the best bait. Wear latex gloves any time you touch the traps. If you touch a trap with your bare hands, throw it away. If you wear gloves human scent will not get on it, and you can use it over and over again.

Happy hunting

Dwight

Jim,

The LARGE rat snap traps (as opposed to the mice traps) are the best way to go. Put them somewhere in the gararge where the dogs can't get to them. (I have always been concerned about the dogs getting ahold of poision or a poisoned mouse or rat)

Peanut butter is the best bait. Wear latex gloves any time you touch the traps. If you touch a trap with your bare hands, throw it away. If you wear gloves human scent will not get on it, and you can use it over and over again.

Happy hunting

Dwight

I use snap trap also. I've used the same ones for years. I touch them with my bare hands and they never fail to catch a mouse. If the human scent scared them off, all we would need to do is touch everything we own (which I'm sure we have done) and mice would no longer be a problem. Mice aren't scared of our smell or they wouldn't come into our homes

Guest Jim_Edwards

Small rodents in general can be a pain around a car not in a virtually rodent proof environment, but squirrels and even 'possums can be worse during winter months if you live where either are common. A car parked outside and unused for a couple of days is just too much for them to resist apparently. Squirrels can and will chew up wiring beneath the hood in a heartbeat if it gets in their way of building a nest.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you guys for all your comments. As far as the "snap-traps" go, the large rat I saw last night, well.....I'm afraid it would just make him mad! This sucker looked to be on steroids! Yes, it is a big concern of mine about the poison with my 2 dogs. After all, they are my kids.

I guess I need to put something back in the trunk (Poison) just to make sure that there weren't any of them in hiding. If the poison isn't touched, then I guess it was just that one.

No problems with mice since I added a barn cat(use to be two) about 10 years ago. Now I have cat hair everywhere, I have to cover the cars all the time to keep foot prints off and have food and literbox duty. Haven't decide if I will replace the remaining cat when she dies but the mice do leave my barn and contents alone. I went this route many several years of trying to trap in assorted ways. I also have a yard barn that is closed up but gets mice and I feed them rat poison regularly in there just to cut the total population on the property.

Guest bofusmosby

I have used the ones she is holding in her left hand before, and it usually just makes them mad! :D

My dogs go after the rats all the time, but I have never seen them catch one before. Now the raccoons and the possums are no problems. They have caught many of them in the past, but the smaller critters, well, I guess they just have too many places to hide.