Headlamp Reflectors

Guest soldier

Guest soldier

Does any one know of a good source for for polishing and nickel finishing head lamp reflectors? A post some time ago recommended Uvira, Inc., but they no longer do the nickel finish. They do apply an enhanced aluminum finish to your nickel, which gives them added reflective power, so I need to have the nickel finish done somewhere else first. Thanks, Soldier

Guest Grant Magrath

Maybe your local trophy shop? That's who I use. I always thought they used silver? I know a guy who does his own nickel plating. He reckons it's easy. I haven't looked myself, but someone's bound to have done a write up on it somewhere online.

Cheers

Grant

Maybe your local trophy shop? That's who I use. I always thought they used silver? I know a guy who does his own nickel plating. He reckons it's easy. I haven't looked myself, but someone's bound to have done a write up on it somewhere online.

Cheers

Grant

Originally they were silvered but the Uvira setup is a bit different: glass over aluminum. Basically they stay good forever and don't need the periodic polishing that the original silver coating required.

I had mine done back when Uvira did the base preparation too and the nickel plating I had done locally was for interior trim parts. Not sure I'd recommend my local company for doing reflectors, so I can't help the original poster with a direct recommendation.

It is my understanding that good "triple plate" is copper, then nickel, then chrome. So maybe a good chrome plater in the area can do the nickel work.

Guest Grant Magrath

I had heard of that glass over aluminium process. Supposed to be pretty good.

But for us, just as easy to drive across town and get them silver plated at the trophy shop. Lasts for years.

BTW, Ply33, thanks to your website 10 years ago, we started using your printers ink woodgraining process, so a big thankyou!

Cheers

Grant

I had heard of that glass over aluminium process. Supposed to be pretty good.

But for us, just as easy to drive across town and get them silver plated at the trophy shop. Lasts for years.

BTW, Ply33, thanks to your website 10 years ago, we started using your printers ink woodgraining process, so a big thank you!

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant,

You should probably be thanking the author, Bob Dunham, and publisher (Skinned Knuckles) of the book whose instructions I followed. Unfortunately that book is out of print and the materials they recommend are no longer available so they are reluctant to reprint or to update the book. I used a different base and clear coat material than they recommended and it's been a lot of years since I did mine with no apparent material compatibility issues to date. I guess they are just super cautious.

Guest Roger_Roy

silver is the go its the most reflective, 95% of light is reflected, but it tarnishes, chrome is hopeless (60% of the reflectiveness of silver) , might look shiny but it isnt "reflective", nickel without chrome over will tarnish and it starts off less reflective than silver anyway (same as chrome I d guess) . The overcoated aluminium is what modern lights have, its the same process as telescope mirrors so should be 90% reflective, will not tarnish.

Guest Grant Magrath
Hi Grant,

You should probably be thanking the author, Bob Dunham, and publisher (Skinned Knuckles) of the book whose instructions I followed. Unfortunately that book is out of print and the materials they recommend are no longer available so they are reluctant to reprint or to update the book. I used a different base and clear coat material than they recommended and it's been a lot of years since I did mine with no apparent material compatibility issues to date. I guess they are just super cautious.

Maybe so, but you posted it on your website! Which we used to good effect on our old 35 Chrysler (Plymouth with Chrysler badging).

Cheers

Grant:)

Guest Grant Magrath

Cowboys Danny! Reminds me of the cowboy who walked into a German car dealership and said "Audi".

BTW, how's the cricket going?

Cheers

Grant

Cowboys Danny! Reminds me of the cowboy who walked into a German car dealership and said "Audi".

BTW, how's the cricket going?

Cheers

Grant

Me too !! "what in tarnation" was a line used in a lot of old westerns. Never really understood what it meant but I assumed it was the politically correct version for the period of todays WTF !!! :P

Maybe one of our American amigos can enlighten us.:confused:

As for the cricket.... I don't follow test matches that much. Too long and drawn out. Don't mind the 1 dayers though. Your Sir Haddles was here last week with big Sir Vivvy. Ahh, those were the days. I can still remember that underarm incident just like it was yesterday. Have the Kiwis got over that yet ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath

Ha ha!!

It still hurts Danny! But those old one day matches from the 80's were certainly the best. We had our own "World Series" there for a while. Australia and 2 other teams. Good times!

Cheers

Grant

PS This is what should have happened!

Edited by Grant Magrath
Info (see edit history)