1929 Dodge Brothers Sedan?

cote06786

I just purchased what I think is a 1929 Dodge Brothers Sedan and was wonding if someone can help me figure out if it truely a 1929 Sedan. I enclosed pictures of numbers found on the car. One on the door pillar and another on the firewall then another one of the car itself.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MAC

post-81513-143138755305_thumb.jpg

post-81513-143138755311_thumb.jpg

post-81513-143138755315_thumb.jpg

post-81513-143138755319_thumb.jpg

As you can tell, I have two 1931 DH6 business coupes. I have had them a while, so if you need any help or parts, email me or talk at me here. John

keiser31@charter.net

Go here to get a copy of the original build card. It will tell the original destination, interior material, paint scheme and various other things you may want to know about the car.

Walter P. Chrysler Museum

Here is an example:

post-37352-143138755371_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of help from the great folks on here. Does the car by chance still have the chalk or white paint writing on the rear passenger side panel like this? If you were to post a photo of the engine number on the driver's side just below the cylinder head on a flat pad, we can tell you if it is the correct engine.

post-37352-143138755386_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Well my brother and I (RSC) got the car yesterday and it is now at its new location. I wasn't able to take pictures yesterday but we did scribe the engine number DH 37474B. Pics to follow.

My brother would like to ask questions about the re-assembly (we share the car). Hopefully that is alright with everyone.

He will post the questions to this thread.

Thanks Again

My brother and I we are happy to get our 31 dodge bros home. The car is ready to go together but .I don't know how to do all of it Like the back fenders what do I put between the fender and the body .And the hinges on the doors do I put a washer ?rubber,felt or something I was lucky yo get a lot of extra parts the seller had a part car and saved a lot .i would like to talk to someone that has. Put one back together I really don't know wher to start I will try to send photos that you very much.

Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of help from the great folks on here. Does the car by chance still have the chalk or white paint writing on the rear passenger side panel like this? If you were to post a photo of the engine number on the driver's side just below the cylinder head on a flat pad, we can tell you if it is the correct engine.

John, I peeked under the mohair and original card board and my 1930 DA has nothing written on passenger side near rear window like yours.

Rod

John, I peeked under the mohair and original card board and my 1930 DA has nothing written on passenger side near rear window like yours.

Rod

Interesting...Maybe that was only done to the first car of a bunch when a run of a certain car and color were built. That, of course is theory only.

I dont think that is the case, I think if you look harder Rod you may find it, it can be very faint at times depending on the amount of exposure its had and it could also be in a spot that cant be seen by peeking.

I am not saying it will always be there but does seem to show up more often than not at least on the DAs

I was told to look for metal spoked rims for my 1931 Dodge .I have wood ones but if I drive it a lot the pot holes in Ct will kill them .I plan on driving her a lot .Thanks

I used to drive one of my wood spoked coupes all over the dirt roads with potholes in Michigan and my wood spokes are still as good as new. Unless you hit every pothole straight on, I would not worry about it.

I dont think that is the case, I think if you look harder Rod you may find it, it can be very faint at times depending on the amount of exposure its had and it could also be in a spot that cant be seen by peeking.

I am not saying it will always be there but does seem to show up more often than not at least on the DAs

Jason, I peeled more of the mohair and cardboard back to get a better look. :confused:There is no sign of chalk writing on my DA. It has been stored in a garage since 1960 and you can see there is very little weather damage inside to destroy the markings John's pic show.

20111213125821.jpg

20111213125853.jpg

20111213125916.jpg

Thanks,:)

Rod

Hello Rod,

Through the years I have on 1930 Dodge Brothers cars found the paint info in three different places besides where you looked. On my 1930 DC-8 roadster it was grease penciled on the motor side of the firewall, on a DD-6 roadster I found it written vertically on the inside of the right hand quarter panel right behind the door and on a real nice original DD-6 sedan I found it written on the front side of the crossmember that serves as the rear seat riser. Some times they don't use names if the name is to difficult, they will use the last two digits of the paint code as I found on a DC-8 sedan. I hope this give you some additional places to look.

Regards,

David

Real interesting. I'll keep looking. Since both of my colors are fairly long words, I'll bet they used code numbers, like you say. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help, David. :)

Rod

I would not have known the other places that David mentioned as I have not had any experience with any other bodystyles other than sedans but I had just assumed Rod that when you had mentioned peeled back and peeked that you just had not been able to see in their well enough.

Good to know on the other spots and I hope you find them where mentioned.

I see the Gray ( your upper color ) and possibly the primer ( redish color ) beneath it.

Thanks for posting the pics

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Iam very new at all of this .Its my first computer and my First 1931 dodge brothers 4 door sedan .I have a iPad so I am trying to post pics but I just can't get it yet I have a very nice car ! I just want to do the car justice .If anyone can help me please help me .I have well think I have all the parts to her .But just need help in the order to put her together as you can see from my brothers post (cote06786) it's in very nice shape .If ther is anyone that you guys know in the Ct area I can get to come and take a look please tell me . Thanks

Iam very new at all of this .Its my first computer and my First 1931 dodge brothers 4 door sedan .I have a iPad so I am trying to post pics but I just can't get it yet I have a very nice car ! I just want to do the car justice .If anyone can help me please help me .I have well think I have all the parts to her .But just need help in the order to put her together as you can see from my brothers post (cote06786) it's in very nice shape .If ther is anyone that you guys know in the Ct area I can get to come and take a look please tell me . Thanks

If you can send me photos, I may be able to tell you if the car is complete. I can also post them here if you like. John

keiser31@charter.net

My 1931 dodge brothers motor# DH 37474 B. The body# 3544831 this is on the passenger post. I have wood spokes , and if anyone can tell me if it matches that would help . Thanks

You may have to get a photo copy of the build card which will tell you if it matches. The numbers sound about right for your car. Try this place for a build card. They are about $45.00.

Mailing address:

Chrysler Group LLC – Historical Services

12501 Chrysler Fwy.

CIMS 410-11-21

Detroit, MI 48288 USA

ATTN: Historical Information

E-mail:

archives@wpchryslermuseum.org

John,

When did dodge/chysler start useing silver paint on the engines?

Vern

I believe that Dodges started using silver paint on the engines in 1933. I have seen some original 1931s and 1932s with the dark gray/green color, but not '33s.