Avanti Rescue

Hey Chris- Like you I just couldn't resist yesterday.  Worked inside in the AM and spent about six hours and got the whole yard raked by 4 PM.  Looked very nice, congratulated myself with a cold beverage at the picnic table looking at my handiwork.  It was low 60's, sunny and the road called.  Ran the Avanti out and off I went for about half an hour or so.  Had a nice ride down by the lake and then some back roads to open her up a little, still a lot of fun to hear that four barrel kick in!  Got back right near 5 and the sun was just going down.  Ended the day by acing a steak on the grill that joined a great IPA from Vermont on the table.  One of my best days since my wife passed and the Avanti ride is good therapy.  Will miss it all winter up here in snow country.

Chris, About your hardware store, support it as much as you can because they are disappearing due to the Lowes and Home depots of the world. They may be good for somethings but for nuts / bolts and other fasteners they leave a lot to be desired.

I had a store close by and it got run out of business and now I have to go to the next town to a Tractor Supply store and they dont have the selection that the hardware store did.

Glad you got ot drive your car.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

Thanks Bill - it was a lot of fun getting the old car out.

I totally agree about supporting the hardware stores, Bill. I was surprised when I pulled into the shopping center parking lot and the first thing I noticed was the fabric store had closed (where I bought some upholstery fabric to re-cover the armrest console in my work truck). Then my eyes moved left toward the hardware store and I was shocked to see the hardware store vacant. I thought, "Nooooooo!". But alas, 'twas true - another one of those wonderful gem of a store where you can find just about anything you may need, especially those hard to find fasteners and doo-dads. Gone. Like so many before it. A victim of the big box stores and the internet. Sad.

Made it back to the storage unit today, but as it was once again raining I knew there would be no fun driving time. Oh well....

I had picked up (or actually had delivered to my mailbox) a set of valve stem extenders. Knowing the tires needed air, and seeing that the valve stems barely cleared the hubcaps I searched a bit for some short extenders for the stems. Found a set and bought them - cheap enough if I didn't end up using them. So, I brought them with me today - to give them a try. After trying the first one I decided they were too long and actually, the valve stems weren't really as short as I had thought. Turns out that the stem I looked at last week is on the left rear wheel. For some reason that valve stem barely clears the hubcap - the others are OK. I'm not sure why, maybe the tire shop had a shorty stem that they used on that one wheel. Who knows?

So, I aired up the tires utilizing my combination power jump box/inverter/light/compressor (best thing I ever bought!), and since the left rear tire stem is too short, I used one of the extenders to help add air to that tire. Worked well. I didn't leave any of the extenders on - just stuck them in the console for future use. I know I could just pull the hubcaps off and add air, then put the hubcaps back on. However, it is less trouble to do it the way I did it today, including shopping for and buying the valve stem extenders. It's a real pain to get the hubcaps back on that car!

I aired the tires up to 28 lbs in front and 26 lbs in the rear - those numbers were totally from memory and therefore most likely totally wrong. I'll find out in a few minutes when I do an internet search for the correct pressures for Avanti. I remember reading that the Avanti handled best with a little less air in the rear.

I wanted to also wrap the repaired battery cable with some electrical tape, but I couldn't get my big paws in the tight spot. So it's just gonna have to be the way it is for now.

I didn't even start the old rocket - just too rainy and miserable out. Hopefully I can get back there in a few days and fire her up!

Made it back to the storage unit today, but as it was once again raining I knew there would be no fun driving time. Oh well....

I had picked up (or actually had delivered to my mailbox) a set of valve stem extenders. Knowing the tires needed air, and seeing that the valve stems barely cleared the hubcaps I searched a bit for some short extenders for the stems. Found a set and bought them - cheap enough if I didn't end up using them. So, I brought them with me today - to give them a try. After trying the first one I decided they were too long and actually, the valve stems weren't really as short as I had thought. Turns out that the stem I looked at last week is on the left rear wheel. For some reason that valve stem barely clears the hubcap - the others are OK. I'm not sure why, maybe the tire shop had a shorty stem that they used on that one wheel. Who knows?

So, I aired up the tires utilizing my combination power jump box/inverter/light/compressor (best thing I ever bought!), and since the left rear tire stem is too short, I used one of the extenders to help add air to that tire. Worked well. I didn't leave any of the extenders on - just stuck them in the console for future use. I know I could just pull the hubcaps off and add air, then put the hubcaps back on. However, it is less trouble to do it the way I did it today, including shopping for and buying the valve stem extenders. It's a real pain to get the hubcaps back on that car!

I aired the tires up to 28 lbs in front and 26 lbs in the rear - those numbers were totally from memory and therefore most likely totally wrong. I'll find out in a few minutes when I do an internet search for the correct pressures for Avanti. I remember reading that the Avanti handled best with a little less air in the rear.

I wanted to also wrap the repaired battery cable with some electrical tape, but I couldn't get my big paws in the tight spot. So it's just gonna have to be the way it is for now.

I didn't even start the old rocket - just too rainy and miserable out. Hopefully I can get back there in a few days and fire her up!

post-123699-0-33317900-1446946042_thumb.

post-123699-0-92891600-1446946052_thumb.

post-123699-0-64598700-1446946061_thumb.

post-123699-0-58788000-1446946071_thumb.

post-123699-0-98442800-1446946083_thumb.

Edited by SeventhSon (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

Looks like it's been several months since any posting here. No surprise, as work has worn me down to a mid functioning adult. By the time I get home in the evening I am pretty well done, then when the blessed weekend comes I just want to lay around like a lazy old dog. I had a chance to go to unimogjohn's Cars and Coffee show way out in the country but it was not to be - just lacking the get up and go to get up and go. Sorry John - maybe on a warm sunny day I'll make it.

I did get up and go to the storage unit this morning, bound to take care of an issue that arose last time I drove the old Avanti, two weeks ago. I stopped by the storage unit on a weekday no less, after having been given the go ahead to play hooky by the boss. So, happily I checked all the fluids and fired the beast up (sure am glad I fixed that battery cable, it cranks so much better!) and headed out on the highway. Before long I stopped at a gas station to get gas. When I opened the gas cap I noticed a lot of pressure released from the tank. It has never done that before. Hmmm, I thought, could the vent be blocked? Is that why the wasps were flying around when I cranked it up? 

I took her back out on the road and she seemed a bit sluggish, then at one point I came around a corner at an intersection and started up a pretty steep hill. She started losing power - oh, I don't like that. She recovered soon enough and we continued on, but I had already decided to put her to bed. Back to the storage unit we went. I backed her in and shut it down. I got out and I could hear the gas tank "thunking', like it was sucking in on itself. I removed the gas cap - more pressure released. OK, the vent has to be blocked I figured, and I decided I would take care of it next visit. I put the gas cap on loosely so as to allow venting while she sat.

Today I returned to fix the problem - I jacked up the rear passenger side and was happy to see the vent hose right there where I could get to it, Shining a light into the tube I saw what I had suspected, a "mud dauber" had plugged up the hose with mud. That was soon removed with an old piece of wire followed by a screwdriver. With the vent clear I fired her up and hit the road. After driving around a bit I stopped and removed the gas cap - no pressure. Hooray! An easy fix and we were back in business - she ran like the champ she is too! I'll have to keep an eye on that vent hose, maybe even put a screen over it or something.

I did get a "vented" gas cap for 6 bucks, but it turns out the edge of it is too slick to grip and get the cap tight on the filler tube. Oh well, no biggie - maybe I'll add some special grip stuff around the edge. As soon as I get more get up and go.

100_2023.JPG

100_2024.JPG

100_2027.JPG

100_2028.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wow, it was April when I last posted anything. That's because there hasn't been much of anything to post - I just drive the Avanti anymore because of no time or money to do anything else. She still runs great and she's still Mightyfast. Lot of quickness coming up through the gears - like she wants to jump out from under me. A great car Studebaker built.

I did get to a local car show for Labor Day, held a couple of blocks from my place of employment. I parked at the office and walked on up. A lot of great cars there and a good crowd too. The most models there? Corvettes of all years. Second most model there? Mustangs of all years. And a good variety of other cars too. No Studebakers though - I didn't take the Avanti as I wanted to stroll the show and take pics. There was even a lead sled there, a 4 door Caddie. Very cool. And a good amount of rat rods, which I have become smitten with. I really like them and want to build my own some day - a Studebaker of course, with a beefed up 259 V8 motor, BW T-10 transmission, headers etc. And leave the rust and dents where there are. I started to tell my wife about the plans - the look on her face was priceless. Oh well, if I win the lottery maybe that will smooth the way....

I'm going to try to post some pics - let's see how that goes....

100_2129.JPG

100_2131.JPG

100_2132.JPG

100_2133.JPG

100_2134.JPG

100_2135.JPG

100_2138.JPG

100_2139.JPG

100_2141.JPG

100_2143.JPG

Hey Chris, great pics !  We need to hear from you and also about the Avanti more !  Ya' know, after looking at this last batch, I  can't help but wonder.... if normal sized cars are used for the type of mods that regulates them to be called "Rat Rods", then if someone did something like that to the Crosley or a Mini, would it be called a "Mouse Rod" ? Always searching for answers to questions that haven't been asked, ha !   Keep up the good work,  John ...

Edited by John Byrd
to correct sentence wording (see edit history)

• 10 months later...

Ahoy! Nearly a year has gone by - can you believe it?! I still have my Avanti and I drive it every couple of weeks, depending on the weather and whether I can get my "rear in gear" and go for a ride. She still runs like the champ she is - I haven't done a whole lot to the old rocket, just gas her and go! I did change the oil several weeks back, switching from Valvoline Racing Oil to Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Motor Oil. I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed that the usual "ticking" sound from the solid lifters was nearly imperceptible with the new oil. Seems "Mightyfast the Rocket" really likes the new oil!

A couple of weeks ago when I went to start the car it cranked the battery down to dead. Usually after the car has been sitting a week or two it will crank for 5 or 10 seconds before it fires. Well, this time the battery gave out at about ten seconds. Ah well, I've been expecting it. The 3EE battery is 5 years and a couple of months old. So I went to a local battery place and asked about a 3EE and was told they would have to order it. I asked about that particular brand's dimensions. Length and width were OK but the height was shown at 9 inches. Too high I believe. Being a Sunday and wanting to get out on the open road I decided to just grab an El Cheapo battery from the local retailing behemoth. I found one that would fit in the spot with a minimum of disruption and paid 50 bucks for it. Group 65, 650 CCA. Totally not the battery for the car but will do for now.

I had a plastic battery tray that I had bought a couple of years ago so I stuck that in the spot and rigged up a tie down. Hooked her up, hopped in and cranked it. Fired up fast! I know the 3EE is the battery that fits in the spot but I never have liked the slow cranking of the thing. So I took the old car out for a ride and I swear she ran better! Just very responsive and strong. Could a battery with higher amps push more juice through the coil to the plugs and make the car run way nicer? Dunno, it sure seems to run better! After returning to the storage unit I noticed that the corner of the plastic tray had melted because of its proximity to the exhaust manifold. I thought that might happen. So this week I picked up a metal tray from NAPA and made plans to get it installed today.

Today I headed over there and got to it. I removed the battery and the plastic tray, tossing it aside. I checked the fit of the metal tray and decided it would work for now. I drilled a couple of holes through the fiberglass and bolted it in. Then I struggled with some sort of tie down system, finally deciding to go slightly backwoods with it and just strap the bad boy in there. The strap runs from the base of the tray to the existing tie down post from the original setup. That way the battery gets strapped down and the original tie down post helps hold the that edge of the tray, which overhangs its foundation by about 3 inches. Feels solid. I still need to tweak a couple of things to keep the battery from sliding back and forth in the tray, as the tray is about an inch larger than the battery length. 

But I'll go with it for now. Why? Because it sure feels good to turn the key and have the engine crank fast and start fast. I like that. And it can always be returned to stock in 15 minutes if I or someone else wishes.

So I used up most all of my allotted driving time fiddling around with the battery, but I still took her out for a quick run. She fired fast and ran even faster - I love it!

100_2353.JPG

100_2354.JPG

100_2356.JPG

100_2357.JPG

100_2359.JPG

100_2361.JPG

100_2363.JPG

100_2366.JPG

If you paint your strap black, you might not even notice it.   I have had the worst luck with there 3EE Batteries.  I probably have bought 2 and replaced 6 or 7 under warranty. They last a few months and then die. They are not the Interstate but the brand you get at Tractor Supply. Finally got a good on that lasted me for a while.

Hey Bill - I had a decent run with the Interstate 3EE. I never was happy with the slow cranking of it though. I will paint that strap black I think.

JW, I thought about that and may do it some day, but for now I'll go with the setup under the hood. It's most likely temporary, like 2 or 3 years temporary :rolleyes:

Chris, I have my Optima battery in the trunk also.  If you decided to keep the battery up front you might consider putting some reinforcing under the shelf.  The shelf is prone to cracking and splitting due to the focused weight.  Mine was cracked and repaired several times by the previous owner.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, r1lark said:

Wow, sweet Packard! Would love to have that car. :)

It was very nice Paul. I believe it was supercharged but I couldn't get close to the engine compartment as three old dudes were there having an earnest discussion about the Studebaker Packard merger. I resolved to return for more pictures but I didn't get back to it :(