Sign in to follow this  
SeventhSon

Avanti Rescue

I have to agree with the previous post that Acetylene torch heat application on these frozen bolts is imperative to get them loosened. The heat (dull red!) causes the expansion of the threads that fractures the rust and corrosion bonds.

Another step is to sudden chill the bolt after heating like with a CO2 fire extinguisher or a cold water soaked rag to give it a shrink event after the heat expansion. Those bolts after all these years of exhaust heating and cooling are annealed and softened less than original hardness factor and prone to twisting off under the torque stress being applied.

Stude8

Brian, I'm going to try some heat. First, I have to try to get a hole drilled in the old bolt studs, but they are extremely hard and I'm working with a 90 degree drill setup. I do have some easy out type of extractors - gotta get the holes drilled though. Tight spot and super hard material, dunno, might end up pulling the head off! Or, crating the whole motor and sending it to Nimesh!

Tried doing some stuff last night but I have a head cold taking hold so I'm dragging right now. Might leave those exhaust bolts for another time and concentrate on the motor mounts (which are putting up their own stout fight) and freeze plugs.

Stude8, thanks for the tips. I'll try the heat first - I was watching a YouTube video last night where a guy welded a washer, then a nut onto a broken off bolt and was able to bring it out. I don't have a welder (or torch for that matter!) so I'll have to work that out, possibly get someone to come by and work on it.

Chris, remember, just concentrate on a few things at a time. No sense trying to eat the entire elephant. And I would get the beast running and driving before you make any decision to pull the motor. When you pull the motor then you might as well do the clutch and transmission, and then it never ends. Been there, done that.

And I would get the beast running and driving before you make any decision to pull the motor. When you pull the motor then you might as well do the clutch and transmission, and then it never ends. Been there, done that.

Amen to that, John! How many times have we seen a decent looking, decent running old car turn into a stalled 'full blown' restoration effort -- "oh, we will just pull the engine to stop the oil leaks", or "oh, just a quick paint job, nothing more".

It's happened to me more times than I want to admit:rolleyes:

John, thanks for talking some sense into me. I just have to focus on one thing at a time, the first thing being to rest and get over this cold I have. For now I am going over to your "Avanti Refresh" and check out those bumpers!

Yeah I agree with the others about yanking the engine, wait on that one. Sometimes you need to walk away and distract yourself (do something else) and come back to it. I would not be adverse to yanking that head though, you already have the intake manifold off, and the exhaust so its what 12 head bolts, a new head gasket. Also, you will have better access to that motor mount not to mention having that head on a bench will assure success on those rung off bolts. After that you put it all back together and drive the car this spring and summer and then if later you want to crate it off to Nimesh it will be winter again and you can work on the tranny and rear end if you want. Oh, by the way Macco is having a special; their second best paint job for half price ($279 I think I saw) :D If it helps I have a welder that plugs into regular current if you want to try the washer and nut thing! Matt is not bad at welding too, I am still practicing! Something to ponder... anyway don't let it worry you... give it time and think about options and above all else FEEL BETTER! The Fourth Son!

Thanks Brian - yeah, I'm pretty wiped out. Just been lying around all day feeling bad. Bleah! When I get better maybe I will check out Matt's welding skills - if he's still traveling down this way to see Sugar :-)

Anyway, I have lots to do on the car - the wrung off bolts can wait for awhile!

Well, I started to regain some of my strength so I decided to see what I could do on the Avanti. I had previously removed one of the motor mounts nuts, then tried 2 more only to find the mounts spinning around as I gave it all I had on the wrench. So I once again turned to the grinder and ground off the top two nuts, or partially so, enough that they released their grip and I was able to wrench them off. The other lower nut came off cleanly, so I had two motor mounts free - now to get the engine up enough to get them off. Well, the first one came out (barely) only because the metal bolting plate had separated from the rubber insulator. It was apparent that the new mounts weren't going in, as they are fresh rubber and a good half inch thicker than the old crusty mounts. I was having trouble getting the engine up enough from the underside - looks like brother Brian was right about using a hoist (big brother is always right).

After lunch and a visit to Sears Hardware for more supplies (tip: buy stock in Sears!) I went after the freeze plugs. I was happy to get them all out and the first crustiness cleaned out - I felt like I got something accomplished anyway. I'm glad I am replacing them, especially the left side (there's that left side again) ones, they were barely holding coolant back. The water jackets didn't look too bad from what I could see - tomorrow I will look around with an inspection mirror and scrape, scrape, scrape until I can't find anything else to scrape. Then I'll flush them out well, wire wheel the openings a little to clean them, apply some Permatex No. 2 and install the new plugs. Let's hope it goes that easily.

post-81474-143138849122_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138849145_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138849164_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138849181_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138849201_thumb.jpg

Chris, that is some nasty looking stuff in the bucket. I am sure glad that you pulled the plugs. Does not look like there is much rust inside the engine jacket. Great job.

And glad you are feeling better.

Thanks John - it's good to see what's behind the plugs, doesn't look too bad so far. I'll be glad to get it flushed out and install the new plugs, so it feels like I'm making some progress. A little at a time....

I only got in a little over an hour on the Avanti tonight. I just looked around for some surgical tools and went to town - scrape, dig, scrape. I got some crud out, mostly around the freeze plug areas and toward the bottom of the block, it seems. Makes sense, where all the sediment settles. the brake adjustment tool was handy, angled and strong enough to dig around. That other piece with the 90 degree angle was good too, thin enough to dig in tight areas. The hanger was useless, too flimsy, and the scratch awl was too straight. Tomorrow I'll try some brushes!

I figure another night of digging and scratching and I'll be ready for flushing everything out on Thursday. Fun job!

post-81474-143138850638_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138850905_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138850924_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138850942_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138850959_thumb.jpg

Chris, might try an old hack saw blade. They have enough give to flex to the right angle. Just tape up the top to make a good handle. I am amazed that the inside of the block looks that good.

John - I have an old blade that I can press into service for that. I think maybe that engine was rebuilt at some point, hence the orange oil pan and relatively clean look of the innards. I hope so anyway....

Chris, might try an old hack saw blade. They have enough give to flex to the right angle. Just tape up the top to make a good handle. I am amazed that the inside of the block looks that good.

My thoughts too, John.

Almost as clean as my Buick after hot tanking the first time.

Ben

I got an old hack saw blade, wrapped some duct tape around one end for a handle, and went after it. Great idea, this hack saw blade, strong but flexible and able to scoot around the various curves and crannies in the water jackets. After about 15 minutes on each side I wasn't really finding any packed in sediment - nothing much was coming out. So I decided to go ahead and flush it out with a hose. I ran water through each opening, up and down and all around until the water ran clear. I think things are pretty clean - looks clean anyway.

Mostly what came out was fine sediment, which is what I was finding on the hack saw blade. There were a couple of larger pieces that made their way out - they're shown in the last picture. Maybe a couple of casting pieces?

post-81474-143138852316_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138852332_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138852351_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138852371_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138852389_thumb.jpg

Well, the freeze plugs are in - not a picture perfect job, but adequate for an amateur. I kind of wish I had a "do-over" on that one. In fact, I may do it over! I reserved an engine hoist for rental today, hopefully I can get the motor mounts installed and move forward. Which is what "Avanti" stands for in Italian, "forward". Sounds good to me....

post-81474-143138854323_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138854336_thumb.jpg

Chris, great job. They look good. And I hate to give you more to do, but while you have great access are you going to change the plugs and wires?

Thanks John, yes I have plugs, wires, points, rotor, cap, etc in the parts boxes - just waiting for the right moment to put them in. I didn't want to put some stuff in and then damage it while working on other stuff. Let's see....should I do the plugs before the exhaust manifolds, or after? I guess after, since the plugs are above the manifolds.

Good job on the water jackets, Chris! Always good insurance to do that when the freeze plugs are out. And the new freeze plugs are good insurance too.

So are all the exhaust manifold bolts out, or do you still have a broken one to deal with?

Thanks Paul - feels good to be inching along. I have not one, but two, bolts sheared off in the head. Gonna have to deal with them soon, just haven't decided how yet.

Thanks Paul - feels good to be inching along. I have not one, but two, bolts sheared off in the head. Gonna have to deal with them soon, just haven't decided how yet.

Ouch! Are they at least both on the same head?

Yes Paul, both on the right side head, thankfully away from the steering box anyway. Going to be tough enough as it is.

Whew! What a day! At lunch today I rented an engine hoist - I had a couple of gracious offers to lend one to me but either one would have entailed traveling some distance and I wanted to get right after these motor mounts, so I rented one nearby. And when you have a time limit on a rental you have to get the work done! My thanks to the good folks for their offers - hopefully I can take a rain check for a future task!

After I got home from work tonight and had something to eat I went to it. First I removed the hood, something I was intending to do in a couple of weeks when I started working on the topside. That was fun by myself! Setting that aside, I removed the radiator hoses, fan shroud, and radiator. Gave myself some working room. Then I set up the hoist, attached the chain to the two front intake manifold bolts, and lifted the front of the engine. Worked like a charm!

Since I had the engine up I decided to install the new bell crank assembly. It really helped that the engine was up out of the way, the install was pretty straightforward. Next I attempted to install the steering arm but couldn't get it to fit properly onto the bell crank shaft. Round and round I went with that, the steering arm would go partially onto the shaft but not all the way. So I decided to fool with the motor mounts. They were a bit easier - still I had to bring the engine up, bring it down, align the mounts, etc. Finally they were in.

Then I went back to the steering arm, I took a crescent wrench and turn the bell crank shaft nut back and forth to try to hit the right spot. After a couple of jiggles and turns I saw the steering arm settle down onto the shaft fully. Success! I installed the pinch bolt, put all the washers and nuts on the motor mounts and called it a night. A satisfying night.

post-81474-143138855281_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138855301_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138855319_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138855337_thumb.jpg

post-81474-14313885535_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138855369_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138855387_thumb.jpg

Those broken off exhaust manifold bolts are on the right side Paul. The left side bolts all came out, which I was glad for because of that steering box. My post from last night didn't make that clear now that I got some sleep!

Well, I returned the hoist this morning, swung by Fairfax Auto Parts and picked up a solenoid to starter wire I ordered yesterday, and hit Sears on the way home. I love when stuff goes well, things go so much better when you have the right tools, like that hoist.

Tonight I finished tightening down the motor mounts, reinstalled the transmission mount nuts, installed a grease fitting in the new bell crank assembly, put that new starter wire on, and re-installed the starter. I'll hit that starter with some Rust Reformer soon. Feels good to be installing some new stuff instead of fighting and wrestling with the old crusty stuff that doesn't want to let go(even though there is plenty more of that to do yet).

Also, since the radiator is out now, I was able to remove the front two bumper bracket bolts, one on each side, or what was left of them. For some reason they were sheared off. Did they rust through? Someone try to remove them and wring them off? Who knows. Tomorrow I'll get some replacement bolts and that should tighten that front bumper up nicely. Then I'll just need to get a bolt for the right side of the bumper, where it wraps around the fender - not sure how that attaches yet.

Also, I did a little garage cleanup - I took the old parts that are scrap, along with some other odds and ends, and loaded them in the truck. Off to recycling and out of my way!

post-81474-143138856978_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138856996_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138857015_thumb.jpg

post-81474-143138857033_thumb.jpg