!928 DB 4Screen Express Exhaust Manifold

juanatejeda

Hello all,

My 28 Dodge 4Screen Express (Paddy Wagon) needs an Exhaust Manifold. The one I have is the two piece set-up, with the Intake bolting onto the Exhaust Manifold.

I found one that is off of a 29, but it is a one piece set-up and I am not sure if it is the same bolt pattern and if the ports on my block will match up.

My engine is not the Fast Four.....

Can anyone enlighten me? Might someone have the correct Manifold or know if the one piece will match up?

Trucks had a completely different manifold, wether its a 4 or a six it is not the same manifold if you have the original engine in your truck and assuming the manifold you found is from the same line.

I am of course assuming quite a bit here since you give very little details

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I am not certain I can help either but I can try. I guess it is safe to assume then that he has a 4 cyl and the manifold which you are so kindly trying to help with is obviousely 4 cyl as well but what is it off?

As far as I know all 29 4 cyl truck engines were the Plymouth engine and although I can hopefully verify this I do not believe that a 4 cyl Dodge manifold and the Plymouth are interchangable.

I guess another way to tell if I cannot verify either way in the parts books woud be to measure from center lines of the manifolds.

If the manifold that you have will not work I can possibly point him in the direction of someone that may be able to help.

Worst case scenario is repair the old one or have a new one fabricated.

I have had to make my own headers in the past on various cars and dosent take a whole lot of anything but time.

Hello again.

Yes, I have the 4 cal, not the fast four. I also know that the manifold that Machinist_Bill has offered is not the right one. My question is, will it work on my block.

The exhaust manifold I have is an Exhaust Manifold and what I'm calling an Intake that bolts onto the outside of the Exhaust Manifold. The Intake, which has a fan attachment that bolts onto it, bolts onto the Exhaust Manifold via two bolts that are part of the Exhaust Manifold. This is where my manifold blew out. The bolts are no longer a part of the manifold. We have tried a repair and it didn't work.

The first picture posted by Machinist_Bill is my truck, depicting my existing manifold. The other pictures are the manifold that Bill has. My truck has a serial number that shows it came off the assembly line in late 1927 but the truck is registered as a 1928.

I can post more pictures, if I can figure out how to do it, otherwise if I have an email address I can forward more pics.

Thanks.

OK, the engine you have is it a 6 volt "B", "C" or "D" engine? Your fender, cowl and radiator shell is 1926 or 27. The manifold on your truck is late 26 to mid 27. The other exhaust manifold will indeed fit but you also need the simpler single tube between carb and exhaust manifold. I have your type intake and exhaust on my 22 Screenside because I wanted a little bit of so called "air cleaner". Your truck is neither a 128 or a 124. It is either the undesignated early 27 (just like late 26) or it is a 126. I need frame numbers and engine numbers to determine that for you. There are 2 different "Y" intake tubes for those engines, one is steel and the other is aluminum. The 124's (1927 3rd series) and the 128's/129's (1928)(fast fours) had the distributor through the head and the carb on the passenger side. I would guess that yours is a early to mid 1927 truck that didn't sell until 1928. From what I can see of it, it is a very beautiful truck. It really doesn't matter what year the title says just as long as you have one. But it is most helpful to know the date of manufacture when looking for parts or info.

Edited by dwollam (see edit history)

Since its not actually a 28 truck nor a 29 manifold as was originally posted I cant be of much help but if you dont mind Juan to send me the photos you evidently sent Keiser and assuming Keiser sent Dave it would be appreciated. jhason2@yahoo.com Thanks

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Please re-read my reply above as it answers your question. Yes it will work, IF you change out the entire setup. Air cleaner will be gone, the Y pipe must be replaced with the single air pipe. Personally, I would hold out for the correct manifold, or you can use the diferent one temporarily til you find a correct one. Once again, engine serial number and frame number will really help in the search.

@DWOLLAM

I will get that information, engine number, tomorrow, as I will have the truck on display. I am sure that when we did the rest back in 1998 or so, the numbers told us that it was a 27. The registration shows that it is a 28. I don't recall which engine it was, probably the 126, 4 cyl.

I can and will keep looking for the correct manifold, just need something to get me by until I can find it. If the one that Machinist_Bill has will work I will use it, I just was not sure. If I need a Y connector to hook it up, then I will go that way.

Thanks for your help and I will get back to you with the numbers, as I will need that Y connector.

Thanks

So what part of the manifold is broke? The "Y" pipe and the air cleaner and the outside part that bolts to the exhaust manifold is for heated air to the carb. It is not an intake manifold. If the exhaust manifold is not leaking exhaust I wouldn't be very concerned. I assume you are not diving it in blizzard conditions where you would really need the heat. The other manifold is not 29. It is mid 26 and earlier and will bolt right on with a short curved tube from it into the valve chamber. That reversed scoop on it is to draw heated air into the carb also.

The part that is broken is the Exhaust Manifold. The two bolts that the outer heat sender bolts onto, both broke off the Exhaust manifold leaving a large hole where the bolts go. We tried having it welded and when they tried welding the bolts back on the hole just got larger. We tried making a plate where the bolts were welded onto and the the heater was bolted onto it. The plate was then sandwiched in between the two and bolted down but when the engine warmed up the two different metals apparently heated up differently and they separated. I strapped the two, Manifold and heater together with some stainless hose straps. That seems to work OK as a temporary, but definitely not a permanent fix.

By what you are telling me, I would guess that our engine is a 26-27, probably the 126, and if I recall, I seem to remember someone telling me it was the D. As far as I can tell the engine I have is the original.

I', getting ready to put some more pics in my gallery. There are a few of the engine compartment.

Thanks for your help.

The exhaust manifold from a 1926 "B" engine is the same, also of course "C" engines and the 1927 126 "D" engine, but not the 1927 124 "D" engine which is the so called Fast Four. (Yes there was 2 completely different "D" engines) Likewise the 1928 Fast Four will not fit either. Hope that helps.

@ Machinist_Bill, Dave Wollam, 1930, Keiser 31 and Texacola

So, in reading all of this It appears to me that I have a Dodge Brothers 4Screen registered as a 1928 that came off the assembly line in mid to late 1927, according to the VIN, and has a mid to late 1926 5 bolt, 6 volt , 'C' 4cyl engine and that even though the manifold that Machinist_Bill has is not an exact match, will work on my engine block.

PS: How do you put pictures on these posts?

First of all, your images must be less than 2000 pixels or less in both directions in order to load.

Attachments and Images How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labeled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Juan, your Screenside was built between October 5th and October 15th 1926, which makes it a 1927. Your engine is a 1st series 1927 also, a "C" engine, 5 main bearing, 3 point mount, 6 volt. Yes the "other" exhaust manifold will fit, using the approximately 6" long slightly curved steel tube from it into the valve chamber, replacing your "Y" pipe.

Dave....my confusion stems from the pic on pg. 96 of the '14-'27 Mechanics Instruction Manual.It shows the right side of what is captioned "single-unit electrical system--"B" Engines." Aren't all single unit systems 12v?

The manifold shown on this "B" engine as you have mentioned has a single pipe not the C engine Y pipe and doesn't have the studs to mount the engine hot air stove (which also includes the air cleaner).

Are there two different "B" engines? Is the manual wrong? Bill

p.s. Will Juan be able to retain his air cleaner?

I can't find my Mech. manual right now. I do remember it being a little confusing in the pics. If I recall some of them are export and magneto engines too. All B engines are 6volt 2 units. The exhaust ports on the block are the same from mid 1927 all the way back. So in theory all those manifold COULD fit all those engines, with the right collections of pieces. Bill, if he uses the earlier exhaust, no he can't use the air cleaner. Which BTW only keeps out sticks and rocks and birds and small children! It is a centrifical device spun by the intake drawing air through the blades causing them to spin, and supposedly flinging the crud out to the sides of the can so it can fall to its death!

Juan, I guess we ( thanks to myself and Dwollom ) have found your manifold, the truck or trucks are in Alaska and I am trying to work on getting you the manifold( see picture below )

You have not made many posts so I want to make sure you will still want it before I put to much time into this, let me know

I will put you in direct contact with the guy if it is available ( he told me parts for sale and he has two of them ) not trying to make anything myself

post-48869-143138759834_thumb.jpg

@1930 & DWollam

Actually this is the same manifold that Machinist_Bill has and has offered me. It isn't the actual replacement that I was looking for, but from what I have found out, will work on my truck.

Let me find out if Bill is going to work something out with the one he has for me. I will let you know.

Thanks!

Juan, that is NOT the same manifold as Bill's. It is just like yours without the intake heat shroud. Look again, it is the exhaust manifold ONLY with no intake parts at all. It is also incorrect for his rig. Bills exhaust is correct this fellows red engine.