LOOSE GAS FILLER CAP

Guest 89 Maui

Guest 89 Maui

My son had a LOOSE GAS FILLER CAP on his 04 Mercury Mountaineer. He bought a new cap from NAPA but the code remained. I erased the code with my code reader but 60-70 miles later the code returns.

He went for his emissions test and he erased the code prior to testing and they read on their equipment that a code had been erased. They gave him his money for the test and said bring it back in two weeks for retesting.

What else could cause the LOOSE GAS FILLER CAP code?

Thanx for any input anyone might have.

89 Maui

Guest rendrag

I am told there is an evaporative emission valve on top of the gas tank. When it fails it sets the same code as a loose gas cap. The local parts guy says he sells 10 a day.

Guest 89 Maui

Just as a follow-up, my son is going to the pick n pull to get the fresh air tube with the MAF sensor attached. I told him to keep the leads to the sensor long enough so we can crimp it to his wiring in the harness.

It turns out to be a coincidence, when his gas cap stopped " clicking " when tightened he saw the service light come on and assumed it was his gas cover causing the service light to come on. When he and his family would come over for dinner, he would forget to ask to use my code reader. It wasn't till he flunked his emmisions test that Ronnie asked for the code and my son plugged in the reader and found P0104.

So he was acting like alot of car owners with car problems that can drive mechanics mad. If the mechanic listens to the car owner, he should then SMILE and then plug his code reader and let the processor tell him whats wrong.

It still amazes me that people can be so smart but yet be so dumb. How did they ever learn to insert the key into the ignition and start the engine ? But yet give their interpretation of the cars problem.

I'll give you a followup when my son calls.

Woody

89 Maui