My Vic 6 Deconstruction

MIClassicGirl

Well, I've had a few of you let me know that you guys like seeing where everyone's projects are at so here are some photos of the car I'm working on. Enjoy. The first two are when we pulled the car out of the warehouse. It hadn't seen light of day in over 20 years. The rest are in a progression of taking things off. It's been a pretty cool experience so far! And...kevin's car has given us some spark & some inspiration & insight into what our car can & will become the closer we get to finishing it!! Thanks Kevin!

post-77540-143138752664_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138752667_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138752672_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138752676_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138752679_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138752684_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138752687_thumb.jpg

There's much of the upholstery that cannot be save, so unfortunately, I'll have to redo that. The back seat at some time must have gotten wet or something because there was some mold on the fabric. Some of the door panels are torn. The seats themselves, the structure, are in great shape.

You're right....it does look like it's squinting as it comes out of the warehouse!

Hi Shannon- great very original looking Victory! I really like the original raised detail on the old door panel perimeter. Hopefully you are taking LOTS of pictures- these details are priceless. I really like the one pic taken in your garage. Kinda looks like a crime scene--see my edits!

Keep up the good work- Merry Xmas! Joe

post-54582-143138752831_thumb.jpg

LMAO!!! Joe.....that was great!! I never thought of that! My husband will get a kick out of it!

Yes, I'm trying to take as many pictures as I can! I'm going to need an external hard drive on my computer just to store all the pictures!! Plus, I like taking pictures!!

John, kevinb has given me some inspiration on maybe trying to do some of the interior work myself. If he can do it, I believe maybe after all, I can do it too. I've sewn many things. So, we'll see!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Hey Shannon - That car is just as awesome as you have been saying! The originality is amazing!

May I offer a suggestion? While you are taking some of those photos, especially the closeup ones of details, you will find it your friend if you include a scale of some sort along the edge of the photo. (It does not have to be right next to the item - just in the shot somewhere). This will help you know the exact size of any particular item in the shot. To do this effectively, the scale should be flat to the plane of the camera's imager (or the front of the lens) and it should also be as near to the level of the item you are trying to measure as possible. If it is not flat it changes the measurement markings over the length of the scale. And if it is not at the same level, the markings will be either too large or too small for a good indication of the size of the item you are trying to measure.

You will thank yourself for doing that in your photos at some point in the future. ;)

Hi Shannon

Best thing I did when taking apart was to put things in bags or coffee cans etc. And tag with disciption. The mind does not remeber all the little things and the cards inside the bag ar worth there weight in gold. I also finished alot of things to go back on later . That way i had a sense of purpose as I went along. I always made me feel good to ready a part for another day maybe a year from now to install. Things went fast on some reconstruction because the parts where ready. Just a little help I hope.

Side note has anybody ever seen this set up on the tail light.Kevin

post-61393-143138754232_thumb.jpg

1936D2......Thanks for the suggestion with the scale/ruler! That is really a great idea! I'll try to start doing that from now on. Love the "Hit & no Run"! Too funny! Yes, she is a wonderful car! And I'm trying really hard to make sure to photograph everything well & being REALLY careful taking things apart! But, I can't wait to have it done!

kevin......I have been putting stuff in ziplock bags & righting some notes on the bags, but I think I'll take your suggestion & put some index cards in there too with further notes or drawings. That's another great suggestion. Might even try throwing an actual picture in there too. I'd like to think that I'll remember where everything goes, but I know I'd be kidding myself!

Once again, thanks for the suggestions guys!! You all are AWESOME!!

Shannon

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we got the body off the frame today! Went off without a hitch! But I have to ask....has anyone ever used a forklift to remove the body? The pictures are how we did it! The last is the frame back in the garage with my husband bouncing on it because he's amazed at the release in the springs when the body came off! Now, we can continue to move forward in our work! Enjoy the photos!

post-77540-143138766742_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138766745_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138766748_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138766751_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138766755_thumb.jpg

Been there,done that. Just a thought. Did you see any strange large washers under the body at the attachment bolts? An odd number, one or 2 under around one bolt and none around any other? These are 'shims'. In the Parts Manuals it will say 'SHIMS' on a line and then a part number with an *. Then at the bottom of the page it will say "* as required". They can also be hard wood and look for all the world like somebody put them in years later on a body/frame repair. They were actually installed on the Dodge line if the tolerances in frame and body dimensions added up instead of cancelling each other out. If you have them, note where they where and put them back in the same positions.

joe....I was wondering if anyone would notice the bright orange bucket we used! Not like it's obvious or anything! ;)

1936D2....I will definitely look for those numbers. We still can't believe it went off without a hitch! Way too easy! in about 1 hour, we were rolling frame back into garage and move body next door! And yes, ruler with pictures!! Definitely will be doing that!

DodgeKCL... we didn't notice shims, but wasn't looking. We'll have to take a closer look when we get back out to the garage to work on the car. Too much with holidays right now. Thanks for the heads up on that! Good to know!

I love how you guys have all these little details you share! Thanks so much for that! We feel like we made such progress just taking the body off. And as my husband said..."there's no turning back now!"

Too funny you guys noticed that!! My husband was rear-ended this past Wednesday in the shop's truck! That's the red Dodge! The guys hit him pretty hard! If you look closely.....the lense cover for the other truck's headlights is stuck between the bumper & the tailgate of my husband's truck on the driver side!! LOL The bad part is the shop's truck is only about 1 year old!

• 3 weeks later...

The deconstruction continues.....nothing but the frame is left now! Everything is off. My husband said "now we've really screwed up a nice old car!". Where am I supposed to be looking for the numbers on the frame? Where's the proximate location? I'd like to find that before we send off to sandblasting. Ordering a sandblast cabinet today also. I'll post pictures of the mess we have in the garage soon.

Everyone has their own way of doing things but I have found it useful to keep a diary or journal as I go along. you can put down what order things were taken apart and which container they were put in and where you put the container! You probably only need this system if you have a number of restorations on the go at the same time and you have several sheds full of old car parts collected over the years but I find it's just easier to flick through some pages than search through piles of bits. You can also make a note of how long you spend on something and what it costs if you have a mind to but in the end it's up to the individual what to record and can make interesting reading when it's finished.

The Victory 6 you have there is an ideal project and I am so glad it 's one that escaped the hot rodders who have done so much so wrong for so long.

cheers,

Ray.