Help With A Moraine Fuel Filter

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Back in September I started a thread on here about fuel filters for the early 50's Buicks. I was interested in the original Moraine filters that came on these cars. I finally acquired one and I'm trying to clean it up so I can install it but I can't seem to figure out how to get it apart. I've seen pictures of these filters from the late 50's early 60's and those can be taken apart. They are slightly different in design though. So my question is, can you take apart the earlier ones? It does appear to have a seam in it but I have put quite a bit of torque on the fitting that is screwed into the side and nothing is giving. I'm afraid of breaking the whole thing off. Anybody have one of these that has taken it apart?

Robert, you talking about this one?

Instructions on the box this NOS one came in are wash in gasoline and blow out with air. I believe they are not dissambleable. I have soaked mine in carb cleaner and acatone. Still seems to be slightly more restriction than the new one.

But ,whatever, I would not REPLACE it with an after market one. I have an aftermarket filter ahead of the fuel pump. The Morain still plugged, leading to the conclusion that it filters smaller stuff than the aftermarket filter.

post-59466-143138752565_thumb.jpg

post-59466-143138752574_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Not sure if they all can be disassembled, but some were made to if necessary.

What I did was remove the bolt that holds it together, then insert a small punch through the bolt hole to catch the lip of the other side of the filter smack the punch on a hard surface a couple times and it should come apart.

Good luck. Btw I just cleaned mine with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air.

post-33892-143138752596_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

Mine looks like yours Ben. I believe the one shown in 1937-44's picture is a later model. I don't know when they changed design either but I do know that from 1950-1952 they looked like the one in Ben's pictures. That is the way they look in the 52 service manual and in the 1952 catalog picture I included below. Probably changed them around the same time that they started including the name "Delco" in with the name "Moraine" as shown on the package in 1937-44's picture. The one I have is used. I wonder if I should attempt to use it? I would hate to put it on my carb and have the filter inside crumble into my carburetor. Hmmmmmm. Decisions, decisions. I know one thing though, this sucker was hard to find! Talk about rare. All of the other ones I've come across have been the later models. This is the first early 50's one I have found and now I'm not sure if I should use it.

post-75106-143138752863_thumb.jpg

Robert, it will not fall apart! As I said, I have cleaned my original one in carb cleaner and also aceatone. There is a small screen at the carb inlet that would catch anything that came from a filter that came apart.

The one pictured came from N B PEASE & CO, Palmer, MA. Phone # 413 283 7620.

It does have way less resistance when I blow through it than the cleaned old one. Not sure if it is enough to make any real difference.

Ben