Fresh out of the barn 25 big six coupe

Guest newstew

Guest newstew

This is my new project I need a RADIATOR and THE LEFT FRONT USPENSION STAP UNIT and a couple of DOOR HANDLES and HORN BUTTON ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks to all that can help.Kenny Z. in Rhode Island

post-81108-143138751381_thumb.jpg

post-81108-143138751415_thumb.jpg

post-81108-143138751447_thumb.jpg

post-81108-143138751481_thumb.jpg

Wow, neat car. You need to know however the car is a model EQ Special Six and not a Big Six (model EP). They were different cars. The Big Six engine was 353.6 c.i. whereas the Special Six was a 289. Actually the engines were identical except the Big Six had a 3/8" larger bore. Bodies were different as was the wheelbase (127" for the Big Six, 120" for the Special Six). Good luck with the car.

The theory that I've heard states that the UV rays of the sun discolor the lenses to the purple hue.

I've seen numerous lenses with that coloration, as have many on this forum.

Nice find, hope you can repair radiator or find a good replacement, replacing cores is getting expensive these days. Find a good radiator shop, the best ones are the old time guys with the slogan "a great place to take a leak!"......

Nice car, nice find.....

Great find. I used to own a `25 Special 6. I do have a couple of parts you may be able to use. I have a nice radiator core, bowed front. It fits a Stude. but not sure which one. The core is "19 wide, "24 tall and 5/8 thick. It has a factory tag on the side of the core, Mc Cord R-155.

Also I have a set of the original headlight lenses, Liberty, that were on the car. 9' wide and Type-D are the ones I have. They are clear glass. Let me know. Art in Cal.

Guest newstew

Hi Art, It sounds like it is the one. Does yours have 3 tabs on each side ad 4 across the top? The tabs are to hold it to the grill shell . Mine says Long Manufacturingand has a tag on the lower inside on the cooling fins #922815.Please call me 401=617-6028 Thanks Kenny Z.

Guest 37Dictator

Great barn find and a very enjoyable project to restore.......The purple hue in the headlight lens is due to the lead used in the process of manufacturing glass in that time period. It is not uncommon to find oil lamps produced 1890 to 1910 to have this same colour. Check out ebay and other sites offering Oil Lamps and youll find this same tint in the glass.

My, there is clearly some different information regarding the coloring of lenses. I once read that the impurity (in an amount so tiny to be nearly unmeasureable) responsible for it subsequently to go purple was Manganese. I recall also that deep Ruby red glass is made by

introducing a small amount of Gold to the mixture (in this case does not require sunrise to catalyze the reaction). How many of you know that glass is regarded as being one of our thickest liquids -- not technicvally a solid, but a liquid? And yes it flows awful slowly!

Perry

My, there is clearly some different information regarding the coloring of lenses. I once read that the impurity (in an amount so tiny to be nearly unmeasureable) responsible for it subsequently to go purple was Manganese. I recall also that deep Ruby red glass is made by

introducing a small amount of Gold to the mixture (in this case does not require sunrise to catalyze the reaction). How many of you know that glass is regarded as being one of our thickest liquids -- not technicvally a solid, but a liquid? And yes it flows awful slowly!

Perry

Very evident that it is a slow moving liquid when you take out a pane from an old building. The glass is thicker at the bottom.