Sign in to follow this  
lincolnmatthews

Whats a "good" V12 sound like??

I know this is a strange question, but I honestly don 't know if I have a good one. After 20 yrs of owning her you would think I would know. Quickly here I have had the old gal ( 42LC Coupe this long) Probably havn't put 3000miles in this time. Never did run real smooth or perfect. Just this last weekend I put on the reblt. dist. that George Tricket had done for me over 12 yrs ago. I was always saving it, never quite had the time to do it. Checked all my plug wires they were ok. Car runs noticably better, smoother, lots more power! Amazing!. Here's my question, other than a exhaust leak at the hot air exchanger, (which I will be changing out), at about 35 MPH in 3rd the engine sounds a little ruff, like maybe piston slap (a fast hardly detectable maybe metallic noice). Kind of gets better as I speed up, & better as it gets hot. Problem is I have never heard anyother 12 run or been in any other car. Just seems a little ruff, should these cars be super quite & perfectly smooth right up to high RPM's? I accelerated right up to 55 in 3rd, something I woud never would have done before the new dist. was pretty smooth at this speed. Any help from guys who have listened & drove some of these would be appreciated Thanks alot:confused:

Now that you've fixed the distributor perhaps clean/replace the spark plugs and make sure your wires are ok. The ignition system is key to a smooth running 12. Do you feel vibration in the the steering wheel? The front motor mounts will sometimes give way after many years and this will cause metal to metal contact and the perception of rough running even tho there is no "missing".

I even found the exhaust pipe was tight against the frame on my '48 causing noise and vibration.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

I have solid lifters in mine (you should have hydraulics in yours), but I'll give you my impressions. At idle my car sounds like a sewing machine, or as one writer put it (Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance 2011 - Report, Results and Photos), "this car sounded more like a watch than a car."

That said, under load it does get louder, but remains smooth. I wouldn't be surprised that you find it quieting down at 55 mph because by then, you're coming down on the acceleration and not putting the engine under as much load.

I don't know about the "metallic sound", really impossible to diagnose without being there.

Here is a silly clip of a think a pretty typical hv-12 doing its thing...I did not expect the traffic to surge, usually quiet section of our neighborhood...

You can view the V12 I did two years ago and it is on you tube you can hear it run on my engine start stand with the single muffler on the side. Under Lincoln V12 ( Frenchy )

Thanks

Frenchy

Frenchy, your reputation has gotten around. Are you still doing your magic on V-12s?

Ron

Yes I am still building the V12 engines as needed if you did view the video that is how they sound when I am done with them.

Thanks

Frenchy