Exotic car pile up in Japan

Steve_Mack_CT

Guest Siegfried

I guess a PRIUS :eek: could become a supercar if it were to be hit by a lighting bolt. All that added on electrical power!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like how it was noted that the Prius involved was "not thought to have been part of the supercar pack."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder if it was another case of tortoise and the hare. The tortoise blocking or unaware of it's surroundings.

D.

The Prius might have been in the way, but the other cars were going 50mph over the speed limit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True but when a slow driver thinks he is the police things only get worse.

D.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True but when a slow driver thinks he is the police things only get worse.

D.

I didn't see anything in the articles I read that suggested that the Prius drive was doing anything unusual much less "self policing" the road.

I don't know about you, but a driver coming up behind me doing 50MPH over the limit would probably catch me by surprise as it is not something I'd expect any sane driver to be doing. Especially if, as one news report had it, the roadway was slick.

Ply33,

I agree whole heartily. The Prius driver was probably doing the speed limit. I like what the executive officer had to say

"The accident occured at around 10:16 am on the rain-soaked Chugoku Expressway, at the western tip of Honshu island in the Yamaguchi Prefecture.

'A Gathering of Narcissists.'

According to Mitsuyoshi Isejima, executive officer of the region's Traffic Police Unit, the crash was sparked by the driver of one of the red Ferraris, who swerved into the right lane and skidded, plowing into the median barrier and spinning across the freeway. Cars collided while trying to avoid hitting his car. The drivers are all believed to be foreign car enthusiasts who regularly drive together."

Rain soaked road, not familiar with the road, and doing over 50 mph over the limit. Sounds more to me like showoffs that couldn't handle the cars for the conditions, then the fault of someone else like the Prius driver.

Guest Skyking
If the Prius driver was keeping up to the pack. All I can say is "Beep Beep" Sounds like a Nash I once heard about!!!!

Now If they were all driving Metropolitans, that wouldn't have happened......:D

"It is likely they were trying to get around the Prius as seen in the photos" - it has often been said that at the front of every Italian traffic jam is a clapped out Fiat Toppolino, overheated. I think the new saying is "At the front of every exotic car pileup in Japan is... a Toyota Prius" :D :D

Sorry Dave, couldn't resist that one!!