39 buick torque ball

Guest jshaw

Hello,

Can anyone help me out with my torque ball question?

I am in the process of a complete re-build of a 39 Model 41 and am getting to the point of re-installing the drive train. The torque ball bearing surfaces were coated with some type of lubricated material which basically fell apart on disassmebly and I can't seem to find anyone that can re-apply this material.

In my 1939 buick shop manual in the section about propeller shaft removal and installation there is a paragraph about this. (page 4-7)

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

If you are talking about the torque ball itself, it not coated with some type of lubricated material. It is vulcanized rubber to the steel. It is available at Bob's as TBS-39 Revulcanize & lined Torque Ball For 1939 Ser.40-60.

Mike

Thanks much Mike.

I was just reading, kinda, what it said in the manual,'Torque ball assembly bearing surface is composed of special fabricated material treated with special compound of heavy viscosity.' Your answer makes it sound much less mysterious. Is that Bobs Automobilia?

Thanks again for the help.

Jim

G'day Jim,

Welcome to the wonderful world of '39 Buicks.

The more '39 Buick Team Members" the merrier.

It is handy for others to have an idea of what part of the world you are from so perhaps you and Mike could go to your User CP above and add your general area.

Mike's tip is spot on. I would also suggest a torque ball shim kit as well as you'll need it to adjust the tension on it when you replace it.

Danny

Edited by danhar1960 (see edit history)

Thee 1942 Shop manual is a lot better than the 38 & 39. Worth buying

..I am in the process of a complete re-build of a 39 Model 41 and am getting to the point of re-installing the drive train. ..
Yes it is Bobs Automobilia. I just replaced mine on a 39 model 46...

Jim & Mike

As Danny states you too can become a " '39 Team member"

Go to USER CP--> Edit your details--> then edit Custom User Title

Danny is the Captain of the " '39 Team member" as he started it :)

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Danny is the Captain of the " '39 Team member" as he started it :)

............. Been a while since anyone called me Captain :):) (of anthing).

I agree with Al here, the '42 book has a bit more technical info in it that applies equally to the '39 but is not in the '39 manuals. Defiantly worth picking up a copy (even just a cheap re-pro copy) to add to the '38 manual and '39 supplement.

Just back on the shims, 1) never having bought a rebuilt torque ball from Bob's and 2) as he lists the 2 items separately, I am assuming that a rebuilt torque ball does not come with the shim kit. Just check first if you do buy one.

It never ceases to amaze me that these old '39s still keep popping up. LOVE IT !!!!

Danny

I got my torque ball parts all from Bob's, and, as far as the shim kit goes, I used all of the shims, I suppose each car is different tho.

While I am typing, anyone have a lead on a parking/emergency brake cable? The front part that attaches to the lever. I don't find anything looking online so far.

Guest Grant Magrath

Dave Tachney? How similar is it to a Chevy, Olds or Pontiac? Might increase your chances of getting one if they're the same.

Cheers

Grant

I think the 1939 40 and 60 series front emergency brake cable is pretty much Buick-only, Billy and Grant. I've had them before in aftermarket, and no other brand application was listed on the box. I don't think the aftermarket parts makers would miss putting any additional fitment on their boxes or in their catalogs. Best, John

Billy

If you get stuck for the cable, there must be people there in the US that can make a new cable for you. I have 3 cables and all have a break in the exterior housing and are too long. They would probably work and be OK but I think I'll replace mine when the time comes. There is a mob not far from me here in Sydney that have been making cables like this since WWII. They only need the old 1 for a sample and the ends are standard. I often need new cables made in the job I do. All mine must have stretched (or the cable between the wheels has) as 2 had a little thingy (technical Aussie term) that seems to try to shorten the cable and 1 had a heap of big nuts and washers acting as spacers. I just need to have the body put back on so I can accurately measure the length for when I get a new 1 made.

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath
I think the 1939 40 and 60 series front emergency brake cable is pretty much Buick-only, Billy and Grant. I've had them before in aftermarket, and no other brand application was listed on the box. I don't think the aftermarket parts makers would miss putting any additional fitment on their boxes or in their catalogs. Best, John

In NZ, with the steering being on the other side, my NZ assembled 39 Chevy had a cable for the parkbrake more or less the same as the Buick! The American Chevies had a rod setup. I guess that's what made me think the other makes could help!

Cheers

Grant

I bought a front cable from Cars several months ago - think it was $89.50. There are also a couple of rubber 'thingys' you can get separately to keep the cable from rubbing that will bring the price up another $11 -$12. I am still fiddling with it to get the tension just right - has a turnbuckle type adjuster back where it connects to the rear cable.

Happy Holidays,

JV

Guest Grant Magrath

Thanks JV, although it's a bit cool here today. But we still have water restrictions because of all the quakes, so the rain is appreciated.

I have a buddy in Katy who I met through eBay of all places, who does a bit of work for the guy in Boerne. And the guy in Boerne loves NZ, and is here for another visit. Once again, Buicks are uniting the world! The only downside, is that I'm now a Houston Texans fan!

Cheers, and merry Christmas!

Grant