Plymouth 1930 U rear brakes

Guest Sbaum96

Guest Sbaum96

I have started working on the brakes for my 1930 Plymouth U. This was my great Uncle Albert's honeymoon car and it has not been driven since the 1950's. The front brakes came apart easily and I cleaned the brake cylinder and bearings. The rear brake assembly has me stumped. I removed the grease cup, cotter pin, and nut, but I can't figure out how to get the bearings out. I thought about using a gear puller because the end of the shaft looks like it would accept one, but I'm concerned that this might damage something. Any advice on rear brake work? I need to repair the brake cylinder and lubricate the bearings.

Can you post a photo of the area including the backing plate? If it looks to be the same as mine on my 1931 Dodge, I may be able to help. Do you have an "Instruction Book" for the car? If not, you may want to get a copy of one from ebay or the Chrysler Museum in Michigan. That book will shed some light on the brake system. Does your car's brake assembly look like the first picture? If so the axle should look sort of like the second picture.

post-37352-143138746264_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313874628_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

If its the same as my '33 Plymouth the brake backing plate serves as the retainer, so you remove the backing plate and then the axle pulls out pretty easily. There will be some shims between the backing plate and the outer bearing that server to pre-load the bearings and sets the end play.

Guest Sbaum96

How does the brake backing plate come off? It appears that the bolts on the back of the brake adjust the brakes inside the drum. Is it necessary to remove the axel to get to the rear brakes? Thanks again for the help. Do I need a drum puller and would there be a seal inside that would need replaced?

post-81281-143138751347_thumb.jpg

post-81281-143138751364_thumb.jpg

Guest Sbaum96

The attached thumbnail of the owners manual looks exactly like the 1930 New Finer Plymouth Instruction Book I bought. The reprinted manual is an April 1930 edition and the front brakes look pretty much like the illustration. There is just not much in the manual about the rear brakes.

First of all, you will need a hub puller similar to this to remove the wheel/drum assembly. Then you will need to remove the bolts and screws near the axle. You can see them in the first illustration I posted. In the area of the "Refacing brakes" part of the item I posted, it will described the procedure for getting to the brakes.

post-37352-143138751526_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)