Aftermarket fuel filter

petelempert

Anybody have any luck finding an aftermarket fuel filter that will fit in the bracket on the intake on a 63 with a 401? I'm having trouble finding one at Napa, O'Reilly, etc. with the correct OD. I'm trying to avoid rigging one up with some type of shim etc. Also, old NOS filters worry me. Looking for something new that will fit. If you've found one that works, let me know the brand and number if you can recall. Thx PRL

Pete,

Are you looking for the filter for an A/C equipped car? I see those all the time on eBay. Non-A/C filters should also be available readily. Wix 33032 I believe was recommended by other members, for non-A/C cars and that is easily found at Amazon.com. I don't have the with-A/C number handy, though.

Amazon.com: Wix 33032 Complete In-Line Fuel Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive

I've run into the same problem with almost any aftermarket filter - the Outside Diameter is too small for the retaining bracket. I took an old bicycle inner tube and cut a strip the width of the bracket. Wrapped it around the filter and it looked okay. Definitely not OE, but it works. Does anyone know - was the original AC/Delco filter blue as was their oil filters?

Ed

That's interesting, Jim. The two different original, NOS AC gas filters numbers I have here (one covering the 1963-65 a/c-equipped Rivs and the other for the non a/c cars) both fit the original loop mounting bracket nicely, without the need for a rubber "spacer" ring.

I wonder if the two rubber rings you mentioned had some other function from the factory. John

That's interesting, Jim. The two different original, NOS AC gas filters numbers I have here (one covering the 1963-65 a/c-equipped Rivs and the other for the non a/c cars) both fit the original loop mounting bracket nicely, without the need for a rubber "spacer" ring.

I wonder if the two rubber rings you mentioned had some other function from the factory. John

Like John says. I acquired a couple of NOS AC GF423 Filters, and recently installed one on my 401 65 w/AC. It fit perfectly on the bracket without any rubber ring needed.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. This weekend, I tried the method some of you recommended. I took a Fram G15M and used a rubber o ring and it fits well. I've been chasing down some fuel contamination issues this Fall so I am changing filters out all the time until I am certain that I've licked this problem. Thx PRL

If you are chasing fuel contamination issues, you need to do what I've done recently. Drop the tank, clean it out, and replace all of your fuel lines, both hard, and soft. I ordered new hard fuel lines from Inline Tube, replaced the sending unit, and replaced all of the soft rubber lines. Clean fuel is very important. On a close to 50 year old car, new fuel lines are a must IMO.

I have been through fuel contamination hell over the last year. No better way to describe this elusive and maddening dilemma. I have replaced every single part of my fuel system including replacing the tank with a customized replacement tank. If I go into more detail...I'll probably start to cry. Anyway, so far...so good. I might have it licked. In the meantime, I'm swapping filters on a regular basis. Partly because I'm so shell shocked from my experience and partly because I now get a perverse satisfaction from pulling off a filter, cutting it open and NOT finding chunks of junk inside. Am I crazy? Probably. PRL

I have been through fuel contamination hell over the last year. No better way to describe this elusive and maddening dilemma. I have replaced every single part of my fuel system including replacing the tank with a customized replacement tank. If I go into more detail...I'll probably start to cry. Anyway, so far...so good. I might have it licked. In the meantime, I'm swapping filters on a regular basis. Partly because I'm so shell shocked from my experience and partly because I now get a perverse satisfaction from pulling off a filter, cutting it open and NOT finding chunks of junk inside. Am I crazy? Probably. PRL

Did you replace all of your fuel lines? Hard and soft?

Everything....every single thing...really. PRL

With every single part changed, you should not suffer from fuel contamination any longer.

Part of the reason it's been such a bad trip for me is that I was half victim and half to blame. It's a long story, but I'll keep it short. First half: I had my 401 rebuilt and had too much confidence in the used tank I'd gotten from GM obsolete. For a while, I honestly couldn't tell if my problems were rebuild oriented or contamination related. Then it became obvious...the tank was bad. Second half: customized a reproduction tank to fit my Riv and got junk in the tank either from weld customization or bad gas...depends who you ask. Have been diligent about changing/fixing all possible culprits. Drove it last night and it was perfect. I'm hoping this time it's resolved. I've chased a lot of squawks in old cars before...but I can assure you fuel contamination is EXTREMELY frustrating. PRL

Hello Guys,

anybody knows the difference for 65 fuel sending unit for nonAC / AC / AC+GS version ?

Thanks

AC equipped cars have a fuel supply and return line, non AC cars only have a supply, and no return. 65 model years senders are 90ohm, versus 30ohm's on the 63-4's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest bulldog65

can somebody tell me why the '63,etc. Riv -A/C models use a dual line fuel filter-- why does it need a return line? what if you don't put the exact filter on an A/C car-just use a single line filter...probably an obvious answer--but ...Thanks...Doug in Texas

There are plenty of the OE type filters out there. Other cars have used them as OE equipment for some time. The return line it to prevent vapor lock (as I understand it.) The newer filters are somewhat smaller in diameter and don't fit the bracket, but if you search this subject in the archives, you'll find what others are doing to remedy this.

Ed

Guest bulldog65

Thanks, ED...always wondered about the dual lines...am trying to figure out how to add more info to my user name like other guys on site...and how to upload fotos to my posts...!

Here's how to change your personal information.

On the black bar at the top of this window, choose the "User CP" link. Open it.

On the left hand column of that page, at the very top you find a section called 'Your Profile.' Click on the part that says - edit profile. You can change your status as Junior Member to something catchy. Scroll down and you can add a location - good for us to know where you are so we can send in the cavalry if needed. You can also add other personal information.

To add a picture to a post, you scroll down on the page you're "reply page" to the link box called Manage Attachments. Click on it and it will open a window that will allow you to browse documents and pictures you have stored in your computer. Pick the one you want, upload it, and you're set. You'll see a referenc to you picture or document. When you submit your reply, the picture/document will be shown.

Just play with it. Remember, there's an Edit button on your post. If you screw up, you can always delete and try again.

Hope this helps.

Ed