Engine burning ATF

cw4dove

My 58 series 62 was burning automatic transmission fluid. I disconnected a vacuum line from the engine that went down to the transmission and it quit smoking, my question is, where is the vacuum modulator? Is there one? The lline I disconnected is on a junction on the fire wall, the vacuum from the engine goes to this junction which supplies vacuum to the wiper system and down to the transmission. The operation of the transmission seems to not be affected and the engine has ceased to smoke with this disconnected. I cannot find any reference to a vacuum modulator in any of the service information I have. What is up?

Guest Bob Call

Vacuum modulator is on the righthand (passenger) side if the trans case and is connected to the vacuum line you disconnected from the engine. The diaphram in the modulator gets a hole in it and the engine sucks the ATF up the vacuum line. Easy job to change the modulator.

Guest Bob Call

I would first try a NAPA store. Remove the modulator and take it to a NAPA store and see if they can match it to one in their catalog. There are a lot in the NAPA catalog. If that doesn't work, try this guy as he sells rebuild kits fo lots of antique transmissions including your Dual Coupling Hydramatic.

Antique Automatic Transmission Parts US

Thanks, have been to NAPA, they can't match it out of their catalogs, though I haven't removed the modulator and taken it up there. Same with autozone and O'reilly, no part in their system. Just sent an email to caddydaddy. Will try your source as well and will take part off car and take to NAPA to try and match. Thanks.

Billy

Latest on this issue, I have found out that the 4 speed hydramatic does NOT have a vacuum modulator. Someone in the past has connected the transmission vent line to this vacuum line, hence the burning of transmission fluid. All fixed now, running fine.