32 Hood Hinge Strip

Guest Jim Jordan

Guest Jim Jordan

32 series 57S Hood Hinge Strip. Finally getting around to install the new hood strip. Would appreciate any advice on the procedure I should follow. Start with hood sections on or off the car? Presently have the hoods and old strip off the car on a cradle.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

thank you.

I just did this on my 32 66s. It would be easy with help but I slid one side of the hinge on the left side of the hood from front to back then did the same with the other side, if you have someone to help you hold the first side that you finished it will make it much eaiser to get the other side on, I did it standing upright on the floor, had help with the last 6". Used a rubber mallet to tap the sections down and wrapped the edges with cloth and covered them with a piece of leather to help keep from getting chips in the paint.

Guest Jim Jordan

Thank you very much V12 for the reply.

I had some help from my Buick friend and we decided to stand the hood on end on some old quilts on the floor. With a little oil down the old broken hinge strip we removed it by tapping up on the crimped front spreader with a mallet and small block of wood.

Once removed, we simply slid and tapped the new strip into place down the hinge. We then masked all the edges on the car and hood. We loosend the wind split and changed out the back worn and broken hold down with new. We then placed the hood on the Buick and slid it on the back hold down. Once the hood was on we opened it with 3 guys to keep it from buckeling because of no front hold down yet, we then installed the new front hold down.

We still need to do some adjusting at the hold downs as it seems the new spacers are not crimped in the strip like the old ones and tend to slide back and forth and not sure they are doing the job of keeping the strip or hinge adjusted. Not sure what to do here exept maybe epoxy them in place.

Very happy with the results, looks very good to have a new hinge strip and lucky I found one through this forum.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Jim