PEANUTS IN BLOWER MOTOR

David White

I drove our 90 Reatta today and there was a loud noise and vibration. It turns out that when I took out the heater blower motor there was a couple handfulls of peanuts in there causing the problem. I am thinking that somehow mice are the culprit. But how did they do this, and how can I stop it. I store 2 of our cars and am always finding peanuts on the intake manifoldbut shocked to find them whole and still in the shell lodged in the fan motor.

David White 905-356-7706 dwhite1@cogeco.ca

I still have a 1989 Reatta with 16 way seats and a sunroof for sale or parts.

Stop leaving peanuts outside.

Mice can get into the blower housing and A/C duct either from the grill in front of the windshield (look for holes or a gap) they can also come up from the side drains.

When it rains, water that gets into that duct in front of the windshield must drain out, and it does to both sides. Down by the rocker panels, there are holes that let it out.

There may also be some holes that are supposed to have plastic plugs and those may be missing.

Remember when the Reatta was built the entire body was dipped in primer. The primer coated everywhere and they had to have built in provisions for it to drain out, so some holes were there just to get the primer in and out during the dip process.

If you look at the back of the fire wall,by removing the drivers side kick panel you can see the blower motor. This is easy for the criters to get to once they are in the car. Use traps with peanut butter, inside and out side the car.

Be VERY careful with poison inside of the car. We have mice that come into the garage when it gets cold, and chew on wiring. I put poison in all the inside cars, until Carol said she couldn't stand the stench inside her '96 Eldo. The stench of death.

Turns out there were TWO dead mice, on under the dash (half decomposed any slimy), and the other under the rear window shelf.

This was a couple years ago, and she says she can STILL smell these dead mice (I can't)