55 264 CARB HEATER TUBE REPLACE

Has anyone replaced the carburator choke heater tubing?I have the exhaust manifold off,appears to be a metal plate riveted on the inside of the manifold [right side]and a sleeve the tubing goes into.If i remove the metal plate,is the tubing crimped?If i drill it out ,how far do i need to drill?Also i noticed when removing the exhaust manifold it had no gasket,does it need one to re-install.Would brake line work as a replacement tubing? thanks

There is a Choke Stove tube kit which comes with the line, a bushing, and a piece of pipe insulation which is pretty much essential to keeping that tube hot. I am unsure about how it would hook to the 55 manifold.

Since you pulled the manifold you may want to put a flatedge tool across the ports with a light behind it to see if there is any gaps at the manifold to engine surface. If so definitely use gaskets. It seems to me that once removed most all exhaust manifolds will require the gaskets to prevent leks at the block.

On my 65 I used brake line. My insulation was intact, the only thing that was shot was the tube. Broken in three spots. I taped the old one together and took it to a Midas shop. They bent the line to match my old one, flared the tube and used the old fitting. The end that went into the manifold was crimped, I don't remember what I did to make it crimp and stay in place when I pushed it into the manifold. I was lucky, my old one came out crimp and all.

Has anyone replaced the carburator choke heater tubing?I have the exhaust manifold off,appears to be a metal plate riveted on the inside of the manifold [right side]and a sleeve the tubing goes into.If i remove the metal plate,is the tubing crimped?If i drill it out ,how far do i need to drill?Also i noticed when removing the exhaust manifold it had no gasket,does it need one to re-install.Would brake line work as a replacement tubing? thanks

Drill out the remnants of the old tube so that the new one will slip in. And that is all is: a slip fit of less than an inch. No need to try to replace the sleeve unless it defective inside the manifold. the metal plate is just a lid over a box and does not need to be replaced unless completely corroded. It is not sealed, so do not attempt to seal it. Try the manifold without gaskets...it is easy to slip some in later if there are leaks.

Willie